British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

Post by Cam Nivag »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 am

I tried reading back on the posts but can't work out what age the kid is, but I'll assume he is over a year old.
In this May 24, 2016 post vouching for Gary Beattie as a top bloke, the OP wrote "I have a one month old baby boy to look after." I assume that's referring to the same kid that has now allegedly been kidnapped.

That would mean the boy was born around April 2016 and is now about two and half years old, which is consistent with the photos that have been posted.

The OP says he had legal custody of the boy for eight months; it sounds like the boy has lived with someone other than the OP for the other 22 months of his life.
leeellis2406
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

Post by leeellis2406 »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 am

I tried reading back on the posts but can't work out what age the kid is, but I'll assume he is over a year old.
In this May 24, 2016 post vouching for Gary Beattie as a top bloke, the OP wrote "I have a one month old baby boy to look after." I assume that's referring to the same kid that has now allegedly been kidnapped.

That would mean the boy was born around April 2016 and is now about two and half years old, which is consistent with the photos that have been posted.

The OP says he had legal custody of the boy for eight months; it sounds like the boy has lived with someone other than the OP for the other 22 months of his life.
Yes he was born on April 24th 2016. Oliver my son has lived with me all of his life. When you refer that he lived with someone else for 22 months of his life well yes he was living with me and his mom as a family unit. It's just the last 8 months she's not been around and I have taken care of him all by myself. I hope this clarifies matters for you.
By the way Gary Beattie now resides in Romania, he still has his bad leg but he managed to get out of Cambodia with a $2,000 overstay fine
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

leeellis2406 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:16 am Oliver my son has lived with me all of his life. When you refer that he lived with someone else for 22 months of his life well yes he was living with me and his mom as a family unit. It's just the last 8 months she's not been around and I have taken care of him all by myself. I hope this clarifies matters for you.
just out of curiosity mate, how come Oliver never got a birth certificate after he was born? and why wasnt your name put on it originally?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
leeellis2406
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by leeellis2406 »

She was unwell after she had the baby
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:03 am
fax wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:15 pm
It doesn’t sound like you are married. This is to your benefit. Begin the process now with your Sangkat to get the paper certifying that you are unmarried. Do the same with your embassy. You will need this later.

Why is it to his benefit not to be married? In civilized countries, husbands enjoy a presumption of paternity when their wife gives birth, unmarried guys who knock up women have to prove paternity through blood tests.
The woman loses cultural value as a woman and is therefore automatically a lesser parent when this is brought up. A woman is expected to breed with one man she is permanently dedicated to and raising the point that she is not can quickly turn the table on her bringing her own responsibility into question: “how many other men are there?”, and such.

Additionally it’s a whole separate section of the law that handles parental rights at separation of married versus unmarried parents. It is easier to go fight using the unmarried section. The married section is trickier with its paragraphs saying the child should be with the mother etc.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

fax wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:36 am
Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:03 am
fax wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:15 pm
It doesn’t sound like you are married. This is to your benefit. Begin the process now with your Sangkat to get the paper certifying that you are unmarried. Do the same with your embassy. You will need this later.

Why is it to his benefit not to be married? In civilized countries, husbands enjoy a presumption of paternity when their wife gives birth, unmarried guys who knock up women have to prove paternity through blood tests.
The woman loses cultural value as a woman and is therefore automatically a lesser parent when this is brought up. A woman is expected to breed with one man she is permanently dedicated to and raising the point that she is not can quickly turn the table on her bringing her own responsibility into question: “how many other men are there?”, and such.

Additionally it’s a whole separate section of the law that handles parental rights at separation of married versus unmarried parents. It is easier to go fight using the unmarried section. The married section is trickier with its paragraphs saying the child should be with the mother etc.
Interesting. Thanks.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:36 pm You might be the biological father of that boy, at least you are convinced you are.
maybe the reason for her stalling on making the birth certificate and then doing a runner with the kid, was because he might not be...
I think this is a good point: why is she stalling on the BC?

OP why were you pushing for it? Obviously, it is to formalise/legalise your paternity..however.. Was that all? Or once received, were you planning to get official custody via a court order? The reason I ask is that I imagine (trying to put myself in the mother's shoes) she would be thinking the same: why is the father pushing for this and she may (probably?) does not want to formalise your 100% guardianship (custody) on a permanent ongoing basis to you by doing so.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

By not obtaining the official birth certificate, with the foreign parents name included, the child cannot obtain citizenship, and therefore a passport, of the foreign parents home country. Most Khmer would jump at the chance for their kid to have foreign citizenship because they believe that will make it easier for them to gain foreign citizenship.

As stated, official birth certificates should be applied for at the Cambodian parents registered Sangkat within 30 days of the birth, after that time the process becomes complicated and expensive.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 am I think this is a good point: why is she stalling on the BC?
OP said the paper record obtained from the hospital has his name on it.

Perhaps she drags feet because she knows that as soon as the paper is made he will have certain rights as a parent, which he can't really exercise until he has the paper to show he has those rights.

For those who don't know, the hospital first prints a document detailing the birth and the parents' details and the parents must then bring this document to their local Sangkat which in turn converts it to a domestic birth certificate at the ID dept of the Ministry of Interior. The paper given by the hospital is not a birth certificate it's more like a receipt.

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:56 pm That's the big argument between me and her "The Birth Certificate" He has my name on the records at the hospital and registered in my family name but she dragged her feet about making the official birth certificate and I sent her my papers 3 months ago so she could do.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The Khmer other half is so smart yet so stupid. Willing to forgo a better future for the child to win a minor spat in the now.

Does the OP know where is her home province or village? Finding the parents and sitting down with them might go a long way. Also the kid may be living there as well.

Hope for the best for the OP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic