British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

Post by Clutch Cargo »

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 pm She's the bad person here and all I want is what's best for my son.
So who's the instigator here? Here's the chronology:

You have been the child's guardian for the last 8 mths
The mother had monthly visitation
You threaten to withhold that until the mother gets the birth certificate sorted
Her uncle then 'kidnaps' the child

If you really wanted the best for your child, you would encourage your child to see and get to know his mother.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

Post by Kammekor »

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 pm I understand what you're saying. But I have been his legal guardian for the last 8 months with many witnesses. It will have to go to court I know but I have a good case and just want to find him so the police/authorities can take it from there. She's the bad person here and all I want is what's best for my son. Let the courts decide and then is legal yes? First things first is to locate him so I can let the authorities know of his whereabouts. I really don't want to be arrested for kidnapping him back as I am the principal of a school and have a lot to lose.
Legal guardian? Do you understand there's a big gap between day-to-day life and 'legal'?

This seems your situation, derived from what you have written:

You were in a relationship with a Khmer lady.
She gave birth to a boy (while you were in a relationship with her?).
You might be the biological father of that boy, at least you are convinced you are.
There are no documents to proof you are the father. There's no birth certificate. There's no marriage certificate confirming the relationship. There's no documents from a Cambodian court providing you with some form of custody over the child.
The Khmer girl has abandoned you and wants the boy which is provable her son to be with her family.
You have taken care of a that Khmer boy for the last eight months. Now he stays with the family of your ex girlfriend.

Now take that to court and see what the judges will decide. Don't set your hopes too high.

In court you will have to back up your statements with paperwork. And you have none. All you have is people confirming you were in a relationship with your ex, people confirming she gave birth to a son (while in a relationship with you?) and the fact you took care of the boy for eight months.

No court will take the kid from the mum and her family and give it to you based on this. Not even if she's a druggie.
leitfaden
Expatriate
Germany

Post by leitfaden »

Judges, rights, police, court......all that sounds like a europeen solution. And like it's already said: legaly it's not your son. And a DNA test sounds like Star Trek in cambodia.....

For me it sounds more like a money thing. Like the solution of the most problems in cambodia.

go see her parents, try to organize a meeting with her and the parents and explain the future you want to give "your" son.

At the end you'll see that a monthly 1000 $ cash can solve any Khmer problem.

1000 $ are too much ? Sure. But if they think about Money, that's what they will think first.......good luck in trying to do the summ smaller !

you don't have good Cards to play with them !
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:36 pm You might be the biological father of that boy, at least you are convinced you are.
yeah the thoughts did cross my mind a couple of times in this thread as maybe the reason for her stalling on making the birth certificate and then doing a runner with the kid, was because he might not be...
others have mentioned they thought he looked 100% Khmer but tbh my first impressions were his son did look a bit 50/50%

not sure of the exact process in Cambodia as ive not had a kid here, but @leeellis2406 how come the birth certificate wasnt sorted sooner when the baby was first born? Wouldnt your name have been put on the babies birth certificate straight away? (again not sure of the regular process here) was you not together (as a couple) when she had the baby?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

fax wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:15 pm
It doesn’t sound like you are married. This is to your benefit. Begin the process now with your Sangkat to get the paper certifying that you are unmarried. Do the same with your embassy. You will need this later.

Why is it to his benefit not to be married? In civilized countries, husbands enjoy a presumption of paternity when their wife gives birth, unmarried guys who knock up women have to prove paternity through blood tests.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:54 am well, this forum is not a court of law, Counsellor.
Actually no one even summoned him before us.
He arrived here in his own defense,
He posted on FB and got laid into here by the wannabe kangaroo court.
Don't you get any paid gigs IRL in preference to exercising your legal muscles here on poor unfortunates?
This is not that other place.
Those who mind the business of others often have none of their own.
Selah.
Let me explain to you how this forum works, as you don't seem all that familiar with it.

1. Regular posters post day in and day out about events in Cambodia and sometimes make fun of each other.
2. Occasionally a newbie or non-regular poster will reach a juicy personal crisis in his life and start a thread about that crisis here, desperately seeking advice.
3. This non-regular poster (the "OP") will invariably present only one side of the crisis story, the side of the story that makes him look wonderful. Some posters will express sympathy ("Oh, you poor guy")
4. I usually ask the OP probing and dickish questions, as do other posters.
5. The OP then reveals more information, changes his story, or divulges some unflattering facts about himself or the situation.
6. Everyone then turns on him and calls him a twat.

This is how it works, every time.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:36 pm You might be the biological father of that boy, at least you are convinced you are.
yeah the thoughts did cross my mind a couple of times in this thread as maybe the reason for her stalling on making the birth certificate and then doing a runner with the kid, was because he might not be...
others have mentioned they thought he looked 100% Khmer but tbh my first impressions were his son did look a bit 50/50%

not sure of the exact process in Cambodia as ive not had a kid here, but @leeellis2406 how come the birth certificate wasnt sorted sooner when the baby was first born? Wouldnt your name have been put on the babies birth certificate straight away? (again not sure of the regular process here) was you not together (as a couple) when she had the baby?
As far as I know a birth certificate has to be made up within 30 days of birth.
I can only guess why @leeellis2406 and his ex didn't have one made up within that period of time.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 pm I am the principal of a school
Im just throwing this out there, I am looking for a job.
Last edited by bvanfossen on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Let me explain to you how this forum works, as you don't seem all that familiar with it.
Thanks for that, explains why the other place you formerly modded is thriving.
I guess they ditched you in order to run it even further into the ground.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:56 pm That's the big argument between me and her "The Birth Certificate" He has my name on the records at the hospital and registered in my family name but she dragged her feet about making the official birth certificate and I sent her my papers 3 months ago so she could do. No sign of the birth certificate so I tried to put pressure on her and told her she can't see him until this document is made. Now she decides to kidnap him. My poor son has had only 1 week of his life away from me when she took him to her mothers. She saw reason 8 months ago that he needs to be in his original environment and I took him back to Poi Pet. I will seek legal council but difficult here because no English speaking lawyers live here.
I tried reading back on the posts but can't work out what age the kid is, but I'll assume he is over a year old. You can get a birth certificate for free from your sangkat but there is a limited window and I believe births are legally required to be registered within a 30 day frame. I made the mistake of thinking the certificate from the hospital was the birth certificate, I think it cost $150 or so to get it a year or so late. Luckily my kid's mother and me have always kept things civil, if your relationship has broken down as much as it sounds and you don't have the paperwork you won't be getting much co-operation from authorities or family members. You'll have to locate his mother and patch things up before you'll get any results.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic