British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

Post by Cam Nivag »

Is it just me, or is someone's story changing a little bit each time he tells it?
leeellis2406 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:22 pm My son has lived with me for the last year and I gave access to his mother to visit every month with no problems. Now she decides to kidnap him
leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:56 pm No sign of the birth certificate so I tried to put pressure on her and told her she can't see him until this document is made. Now she decides to kidnap him.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: British Expat Says Son Kidnapped & Believed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia: $1,000 REWARD

Post by khmerhamster »

John Bingham wrote:Image

It could be the gift shop at the Sokha Hotel Phnom Penh, but there are probably dozens of other hotels with similar decoration.
Yeah it a fairly generic set up.
I initially thought it may have been the gift shop at the domestic side of SR airport. But it could be one of many hotels or fancy gift/craft shops across the country.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:56 pm That's the big argument between me and her "The Birth Certificate" He has my name on the records at the hospital and registered in my family name but she dragged her feet about making the official birth certificate and I sent her my papers 3 months ago so she could do. No sign of the birth certificate so I tried to put pressure on her and told her she can't see him until this document is made. Now she decides to kidnap him. My poor son has had only 1 week of his life away from me when she took him to her mothers. She saw reason 8 months ago that he needs to be in his original environment and I took him back to Poi Pet. I will seek legal council but difficult here because no English speaking lawyers live here.
it would appear that there may not be a birth certificate, or your name may not be on it, which doesn't bode well for any legal redress. it also appears that her family took the child after you threatened to not let her see him,unless you were given said birth certificate. Cambodians, in my experience do not respond well to threats. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

well OP ;
if there is NO BC and ur not registered as the father on such, ur shit out of luck unless she agrees to allow you to see him ( a drag and i feel for ya but...)
You could fight it in court but...
Try and make a "financial " arrangement with her

Please dont jump on me BUT in Thailand, (and i'd think Cambodia might be the same) the welfare of the child is decided in family court an the court does not always side with the Local mom.
I know this for a fact as got sole custody of my daughter thru court and we were not married, BUT my name was on the BC
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:57 pm I just wanted if there was anyone who knew of the location of these damn statues in the photo
Not exactly, You want us to contribute to you finding a kid. Yes we are skeptical of this. I'm sure you can understand why. We do not know you nor the situation. There are 2 sides to every story.

I'm sorry for what has happened and happening to your family. But on the flip side I hate when parents play the "you can't see your kid game". The kids suffer the most.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

leeellis2406 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:56 pm That's the big argument between me and her "The Birth Certificate" He has my name on the records at the hospital and registered in my family name but she dragged her feet about making the official birth certificate and I sent her my papers 3 months ago so she could do. No sign of the birth certificate so I tried to put pressure on her and told her she can't see him until this document is made. Now she decides to kidnap him. My poor son has had only 1 week of his life away from me when she took him to her mothers. She saw reason 8 months ago that he needs to be in his original environment and I took him back to Poi Pet. I will seek legal council but difficult here because no English speaking lawyers live here.
Well I strongly advise you seek competent legal advice immediately, if there is none where you live then look to SR or PP,...because if your name isn't on the Birth Certificate yet you have no parental rights, and technically you were the one who kidnapped the child in the first place. I do feel sorry for you, and especially the child, I hope you can sort this all out as soon as possible for the sake of the child.
leeellis2406
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by leeellis2406 »

yes I need to get legal advice for sure. First thing is to locate him so I have a case to fight with her. I blame her for not making his birth certificate, she always dragged her feet on the subject and even though I had all my papers ready she never seemed to bother. Now it gives me the problem and headaches to sort all of this mess out.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Start collecting everything you have to prove previous relationship with the mother and how you provided as a father. Gather anything you have, SMS, emails, chats, photos and even things like receipts, clothes, so on. You will need it.

It doesn’t sound like you are married. This is to your benefit. Begin the process now with your Sangkat to get the paper certifying that you are unmarried. Do the same with your embassy. You will need this later.

Right now your battle is birth certificate with your name on it and from there visitation rights. Full parental rights will take you years. Sorry.

If the mother claims to be breast feeding you’ve automatically lost. Start building your case around that she does not. Prove it.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

'Cambodians, in my experience do not respond well to threats. :hattip:"

Oh but they do. They just don't respond well to threats of a foreign origin.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Jeez, if this guy Lee is serious about tracking down where his ex is, he should take the basic steps of providing her name either on here or directly via PM to Cam Nivag and Jamie, step two they check their rollerdex, step 3 location found.

Simple
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic