Red screen computer problem - need true info

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Red screen computer problem - need true info

Post by britscienceteacher »

I use Linux but it seems that my search doesn't work properly (I get lots of fake sites) and it's difficult to get hold of real information on the computer. Sometimes I just get a screen pop up that flashes red . It's really inconvenient living without access to true info. Does anybody know a good, reliable place to get a reinstall? I want a proper English version.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Red screen computer problem - need true info

Post by phuketrichard »

use duck duck go for all searches...
https://duckduckgo.com/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

britscienceteacher wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:47 am I use Linux but it seems that my search doesn't work properly (I get lots of fake sites) and it's difficult to get hold of real information on the computer. Sometimes I just get a screen pop up that flashes red . It's really inconvenient living without access to true info. Does anybody know a good, reliable place to get a reinstall? I want a proper English version.
Just go to the official Linux page or torrent and download. Installation instructions so you can copy the .iso file to a USB and install from there
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Be very careful with downloading software trough P2P and Torrents sites. A lot of the software contains viruses and malware.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are tutorials on the internet for doing just about anything in Linux. Just search for a tutorial about anything you want to learn.

You may just need to change your browser settings.

You may resolve this by using a different search engine.

I use Mozilla Firefox with Duck Duck Go for many things. I use Google Chrome with Google for other things.

Some, like Yahoo, send you to a lot of sites that are paying, and waste a lot of your time.

Which flavor of Linux are you using? There are many good ones. One that is fairly user friendly for newbies is Linux Mint Mate.

It is easy to download and install yourself.

Back up anything you want to save before installation.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic