Announcement time (Khmer wedding blog with pictures)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Announcement time (Khmer wedding blog with pictures)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Congratulations @newkidontheblock
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Sorry about the wife's mother. Just make sure you look after your wife.

The pics look great but I sympathise over the dressing up. As I said, this is all about the bride and the groom can suck it up and bear it.

The great thing about this is that the pain diminishes as time goes on and you will look back at those photos and say what a great time you had. Memory is a funny thing.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Congratulations
Don't forget the water buffalo
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

phuketrichard wrote:Best of luck moving forward>>>>
will you have kids?
Thanks for all the warmest feelings from everyone.

Unfortunately it’s not over yet.

Still need to survive the photo shoot (aka pre-wedding), then the ceremony itself.

Of course missus wants kids immediately, lots of kids. But she gets easily stressed.

She want to be sweet and loving and always feels she’s not sweet and loving enough. Of course she always feels she is financially wasteful, a poor cook, and leaves a mess. The complete opposite is true. She even saved her food money to get me a Pedro suitcase bag so I could look more professional. On discount. Because she believes she is so wasteful and unkind.

Now it’s 3 pm. Missus just woke up for lunch. She still has total body soreness. Guessing that recovery time for the next two will be much longer.

My plan is import her first, get a house second, then kid third, aka the long plan.

If a kid comes in between, it will be more complicated. But still perfectly happy.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:07 pm
Well, to be fair the OP is not making it sound like that.
I'm not so sure about that. A certain gallows humour is worthy of any condemned, whatever the culture or venue.
Enjoying this...

Not wanting to detract from the moment overly, but I'm curious if the traditional garb could accomodate a 'Billy Connolly trousers' arrangement, to help with the self administered anaesthetic and time issues.*

*as I have a similar future ahead...
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Freightdog wrote:Not wanting to detract from the moment overly, but I'm curious if the traditional garb could accomodate a 'Billy Connolly trousers' arrangement, to help with the self administered anaesthetic and time issues.*

*as I have a similar future ahead...
Depends on where your better half lives. From a province where Western size foreigners are rare? Or from Phnom Penh or temple town or anywhere that Blue Pumpkin thrives?

As for her village, the regular foreigners were Christian missionaries from Singapore teaching English. Saw one non-Asian in the commune.

I was down to my underwear and sleeping shorts for the announcement clothes. Had to wear the largest Khmer jackets the town had. The bottom part is actually a long cloth that’s folded into trousers and held in place with pins.

I was told to suck it in so the decorative belt could fit.

Went it was time to change outfits, the clothiers gave up trying to find me trousers that had a remote chance of fitting.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I should elaborate, just in case

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Good luck dude.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Purely out of interest, where do you intend to export your young lady to? Will it be in an area where she will have other Cambodian friends or will you expect her to fit into her new environment? Will the climate be the same as her home village or under 25 deg and to her freezing cold.

The grass may look greener on the other side but if you can make ends meet in her neighborhood believe me, that is a much better route to go down.

Happiness is not always built around money.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

TOG wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 pmthe groom can suck it up and bear it.
I see biological roles are getting weird. 8-)

Congrats, nkotb.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic