Noise pollution in the village

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Noise pollution in the village

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just a rant.

Returned village for the trip to Sangkat (commune) and announcement celebration

Geckos and tokays chirping all night long. Not so bad to sleep through.

But the roosters! From 2 or 3 AM. One starts then the next and finally the family rooster.

Racket dies down around 5 or 6 AM.

Then just the next door neighbor opens up with KTV tunes.

And then the funeral ceremony after that.

Actually I shouldn’t speak badly of the funeral. The guy was actually very hard working good man. He usually sponsored stuff like Pchum Ben celebrations for the village and doing stuff that the village chief neglected to do. Sister had gone to attend now.

Maybe just drag around until I pass out from exhaustion.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Noise pollution in the village

Post by prahocalypse now »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 am
Actually I shouldn’t speak badly of the funeral. The guy was actually very hard working good man. He usually sponsored stuff like Pchum Ben celebrations for the village and doing stuff that the village chief neglected to do. Sister had gone to attend now.

Who is sister?

Is that your sister or sister-in-law?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

prahocalypse now wrote:Who is sister?

Sister in law.

Now need to go to pay for villagers to carry fruit trays, and all sorts of other stuff. Maybe stop by the funeral too. So I can be the lone barang in the sea of Khmer...
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

newkidontheblock wrote:

Sister in law.

Now need to go to pay for villagers to carry fruit trays, and all sorts of other stuff. Maybe stop by the funeral too. So I can be the lone barang in the sea of Khmer...
The only barang in the village....
I weep for you.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 am

Sister in law.

Perhaps it is different where you are, but in my village fruit trays etc. would be carried by extended family and friends, and no payment would be required. As regards noise, surely you can't hear much from the reinforced air conditioned bunker you built in order to survive the occasional day being ''the lone barang". :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

takeoman wrote:Perhaps it is different where you are, but in my village fruit trays etc. would be carried by extended family and friends, and no payment would be required. As regards noise, surely you can't hear much from the reinforced air conditioned bunker you built in order to survive the occasional day being ''the lone barang". :hattip:
Lots of payment is required. Pay for wood for cooking, pay for rice, fruit, food and drink. Platters for carrying the fruit. Tailor made clothes for the ‘bridesmaids’ and ‘groomsmen’ (ie, immediate family). Now talk of 300 guests to be invited for announcement as well as ceremony. Easy for me, just work more overtime. Missus and her family has the hard part preparing for all.

The commune is small. The head man only comes once a week to approve the paperwork.

Tomorrow starts with show the money. Then announcement. Then party.

The bunker is nice with aircon and fan. Beats sitting on a chair baking in the hot sun with the dirt, the dogs, and chickens for company. Unfortunately the bunker is not soundproof.

Just informed that the ceremony will be taking place the in bunker. Must move all the luggage into the toilet tonight. Bunker decoration begins tomorrow.

Sorry to all you die hard villager expats. I was never born to be a villager. Missus is from the village. It’s all to give her face and make her happy.

What’s the price of a woman’s happiness?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@newkidontheblock ...where is our invitation? :cry:

I hope you start a thread detailing the entire ceremony, etc. Please include photos. We're all very happy for you, congratulations! :beer3:
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:03 am
Unfortunately the bunker is not soundproof.
Noise canceling headphones will take care of that.....
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Nice rant. I give it a 7.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

=@ Your lack of "adjectives" commonly found in real rants would be the reason SC only rated you a seven. Next time you have to 'spit the dummy" "chuck the toys out of the pram" or suffer a deduction in points again. =@

Also congratulations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic