Cambodian Fruit Trees

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Cambodian Fruit Trees

Post by TOG »

Just having finished picking over 50 Kg of Bramley cooking apples a thought occurred.

We are almost self sufficient on fruit and veg at home in Gods county of Yorkshire and whilst fully aware of the (to westerners) "exotic" fruit and veg grown in Northern Thailand were wondering about apples and strawberries. We preserve/chutney/make jam etc from all of the surplus fruit and want to make our own in Cambodia.

Normally, apples require a cold snap to ripen and sweeten up while strawberries need plenty of water and sunshine. Northern Thailand is overflowing with strawberries but it is Cambodia we are looking to settle in.

Has anyone had experience of trying to grow apples in Cambodia and how about strawberries?
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
jekkar
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian Fruit Trees

Post by jekkar »

Aquaponics or Hydroponics for the strawberries. Vietnam has the market in the bag. I went down to investigate and had a few tours with some private growers. There is a young guy out in Battambang, local, who is growing strawberries in the dirt...they look like shit, and he is selling them green in small plastic containers, very small, 4 or 5 berries for like 5000R and people are buying them. Probably because Khmer dont know what a real strawberry should taste or look like. But check out Youtube, lots of Asian growers in Vietnam.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You might have some luck with strawberries at high altitudes but apples won't grow here. I found some Alpine strawberries growing wild on Bokor one time. There was an agricultural station there in the 60s so they might have originated from there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

I've seen super tiny apples (2 inches diameter at most) at the market and wondered where they came from.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I tried strawberries from seed in Ratanakiri, and I failed. miserably.....
  • Most seeds would be eaten by bugs and ants before any plant was there.... So you must be very careful with your planting process
  • The plants that actually had some fruit, had just a few, and small ones. My guess is because during the initial growth and the phase of carrying fruit the temperature was simply too high
  • After that, all the plants died. Instead of plants in Europe, there were no new plants the next year. A cold season is needed for that I think
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

I guess my apple strudel, apple pie, apple cake, apple chutney and apple juice will have to go.

Maybe durian cake? After some 40 years of having to visit a family addicted to it, I finally can stand the smell.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

A guy out here tried a couple of hectares of Strawberrys. Not sure why but unsuccessful regardless of the media.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

TOG wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:55 am I guess my apple strudel, apple pie, apple cake, apple chutney and apple juice will have to go.

Maybe durian cake? After some 40 years of having to visit a family addicted to it, I finally can stand the smell.

I see your not going to give up on the apple cider.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

TOG wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 pm Just having finished picking over 50 Kg of Bramley cooking apples a thought occurred.

We are almost self sufficient on fruit and veg at home in Gods county of Yorkshire and whilst fully aware of the (to westerners) "exotic" fruit and veg grown in Northern Thailand were wondering about apples and strawberries. We preserve/chutney/make jam etc from all of the surplus fruit and want to make our own in Cambodia.

Normally, apples require a cold snap to ripen and sweeten up while strawberries need plenty of water and sunshine. Northern Thailand is overflowing with strawberries but it is Cambodia we are looking to settle in.

Has anyone had experience of trying to grow apples in Cambodia and how about strawberries?
The strawberry might grow up in north and also the apple. But the problem with apple is the humidity and rain. I think apple can not take that much rain. And apple needs lot of dry and hot weather when the fruits comes. In Cambodia is hot but is humid. But I think no problem with the strawberry. You can grow them in Battambang Siem Reap and north. As long as you know how to do it. But Strawberry has lot of work (everyday). Not the amount of work, but the attention. You need to be checking them everyday.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Fruit TreesStrawberri

Post by taabarang »

My advice is to stay in "God's Country". Apple fruition depends on s chill factor requirement that is non existent in Cambodia. All store and market apples I have seen are imports from northern Vietnam and New Zealand, both of mediocre quality and lacking in variety. Supermarket strawberries are as described in.preceding posts or else are tasteless blobs that appear pumped full of Olympic steroids.

Should you decide to leave your Garden of Eden you better do research on tropical fruits, all of which make good pies, cakes and kampots.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic