Cambodian Fruit Trees

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Fruit Trees

Post by frank lee bent »

i had some "tropical" grafted apples that did really well back of cairns years ago
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 am i had some "tropical" grafted apples that did really well back of cairns years ago
Frank I have no idea where "back of Cairns" is nor anything about climatic conditions there. Were they viable as a market product.

PS. Yes I know it's in Australia.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

taabarang wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 am
frank lee bent wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 am i had some "tropical" grafted apples that did really well back of cairns years ago
Frank I have no idea where "back of Cairns" is nor anything about climatic conditions there. Were they viable as a market product. Also do you remember the name of the varietal and root stalk being used?

PS. Yes I know it's in Australia.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

husband of a staff of mine partnered with a barang n started growing strawberries in some mountains, harvested with good size fruits but sour as hell :bad:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

There's a mobile app that you can use to ID plants, forget the name, maybe namethatplant or some thing
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Cambodian Fruit TreesStrawberri

Post by TOG »

taabarang wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 am My advice is to stay in "God's Country".
I would, except that as my wife has no family here in the UK (my daughter is by first marriage and suposedley a grown woman) and the chances of me going first are pretty high, we are moving so that she is close to family in Singapore.

Singapore is not interested in giving PR status to anyone who cannot work and pay into their beloved CPF and even though we are reasonably well off and in no need of medical aid, they have turned down an application by me for PR due to age. Mind you, the thought of staying in Sing for more than a week or two would send me over the top.

At least Cambodia does not make you jump through hoops every time you leave your registered area, report every 90 days to immigration and present a ton of paperwork each year just to remain legally in country. We also like Cambodia, at least the rural areas.... :hattip:

Sigh, the things you do for love (and a quiet life)
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Oddly enough my neighbor has a huge open patio with various plants. Including orange tree an an apply tree, it is small. I cam see one single full size apple on it currently.
bittermelon wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:03 am I've seen super tiny apples (2 inches diameter at most) at the market and wondered where they came from.
I bought some of those and damn they taste exactly the same. No idea where they are grown.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

bolueeleh wrote:husband of a staff of mine partnered with a barang n started growing strawberries in some mountains, harvested with good size fruits but sour as hell :bad:
Was the barang Spanish by any chance?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Cambodian Fruit TreesStrawberri

Post by Duncan »

taabarang wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 am My advice is to stay in "God's Country". Apple fruition depends on s chill factor requirement that is non existent in Cambodia. All store and market apples I have seen are imports from northern Vietnam and New Zealand, both of mediocre quality and lacking in variety. Supermarket strawberries are as described in.preceding posts or else are tasteless blobs that appear pumped full of Olympic steroids.

Should you decide to leave your Garden of Eden you better do research on tropical fruits, all of which make good pies, cakes and kampots.

At the moment , Australian strawberries are pumped full of '' needles ''. There are thousands of tonne of them being dumped because someone has sabotaged them.
A large reward has been offered.

Maybe a good time for someone to try making strawberry wine, liqueur , or even brandy.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I am no apple expert but of all the varieties from the US this is one that I would be tempted to try.

https://www.naturehills.com/blog/catego ... tree-care/

Worth a look since it displays a climatic hardiness and is tasty too. There are others of superior taste but this climate is too harsh. It's a good apple but not the best.

For pertinent details scroll down to Dec 22 entry. As for strawberries I am clueless;; I only foraged wild ones in Michigan and Maine and overseas in Germany and Norway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic