Any place in Phnom Penh where I can buy a phone at night?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Any place in Phnom Penh where I can buy a phone at night?

Post by Dangerous Dave »

So, my cheap Samsung Note 3 from the states just got lifted from me while I was feeding the cats at Wat Langka. It's not the end of the world -- everything was locked and I've changed all my passwords, etc. -- but it would be nice to feel like I was on top of the solution before I had to go to bed.

I know of several places where I can buy a not-crazy-unreasonable replacement phone (second-hand), but none of the ones I'd try are open at this hour (18:35 at time of writing). Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably in Duan Penh / Chatomok / Central Market / BKK area, where I might browse for a replacement yet this evening?

Thanks.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Any place in PP where I can buy a phone at night?

Post by Duncan »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm So, my cheap Samsung Note 3 from the states just got lifted from me while I was feeding the cats at Wat Langka. It's not the end of the world -- everything was locked and I've changed all my passwords, etc. -- but it would be nice to feel like I was on top of the solution before I had to go to bed.

I know of several places where I can buy a not-crazy-unreasonable replacement phone (second-hand), but none of the ones I'd try are open at this hour (18:35 at time of writing). Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably in Duan Penh / Chatomok / Central Market / BKK area, where I might browse for a replacement yet this evening?

Thanks.

Can't trust those damn cats.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm just got lifted from me while I was feeding the cats at Wat Langka.
I really do fear for you Notdangerousatalldave...I really hope we don't end up reading any media reports about you.

How the hell did you get your phone stolen whilst feeding cats!?
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 pm How the hell did you get your phone stolen whilst feeding cats!?

I was drawn into a sumptuously unwanted conversation by someone else (not working as a team, I don't think), while I was trying to prepare the plates -- and by the time I'd finally disengaged to turn back to what I'd been doing, the phone was gone.

ADHD is a double-bitch because you can't ask anyone to empathize. You can't, for example, say, "LISTEN, LADY, I'M SURE YOU THINK IT'S A HUGE BIG DEAL THAT YOU CAN'T READ YOUR F*CKING BRITISH IMMIGRATION FORMS, BUT I ***HAVE*** TO FOCUS ON THIS, AND I REFUSE TO SPEAK TO YOU ANY FURTHER UNTIL I'M F*CKING FINISHED." Because the other person would just throw up their hands and say, "Well, gosh, exc'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!!!!" Or else just ignore the whole rant and go right on talking.

It's like being in a wheelchair, except the wheelchair is invisible to everyone but you.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Any place in Phnom Penh where I can buy a phone at night?

Post by stevenjb »

I guess people have prepaid mobile accounts now when traveling - just in case one has a post paid contract account it might be a good idea to lock the sim card also (need the sim card original lock code). So even if the phone is locked the sim card can't be transferred to another phone and used.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

stevenjb wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:55 pm I guess people have prepaid mobile accounts now when traveling - just in case one has a post paid contract account it might be a good idea to lock the sim card also (need the sim card original lock code). So even if the phone is locked the sim card can't be transferred to another phone and used.
No worries there: I don't have a SIM card. :D
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Aeon probably has phone sellers..or Lucky Soriya, or Sovanna, or lots of phone shops around Russian Market or Olympic Market open late
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

You could try one of the girls around street 51. Who knows you may even be offered your own phone
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I tried to send a reward offer to the phone, but it didn't get delivered.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Dangerous Dave wrote:I tried to send a reward offer to the phone, but it didn't get delivered.
They took the sim out :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic