Man Dies From Snake Bite, Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Man Dies From Snake Bite, Siem Reap

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Arget wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:23 pm I would shit myself if I found one in my place. Hate snakes........................brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
As would I. Not at all keen on our venomous reptilian neighbours. Having shat, what to do next? I think my best guess would be to throw a towel or something over it (don't snakes go quiet if they're shut up in a dark place?) and seek help. I'm sure some of my human neighbours would be a bit bolder than me and see that it was moved to a safe environment / bashed to death.

What did the OP do about it?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm There's some good info here about snakes in Cambodia https://slideplayer.com/slide/12632880/
It's good but they mislabeled the Blue/ Malayan Krait : Image

It's not Calloselasma rhodostoma, that's a Malayan Pit Viper, it should be Bungarus candidus. I caught a juvenile in Boueng Tumpun one time and another time we had to smash an adult that was in the yard.
About 50% of all bites from this krait results in human death – even with the administration of anti-venin
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Klakmum
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Klakmum »

Seasquatch wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 pm ...

Looks like a Keelback -

https://ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/ye ... elback.htm
Hmm... that's quite a dangerous snake. Venom. By the way Seasquatch... Camel has a interesting piece of music called Sasquatch.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A terrifying tale of two little girls bitten by a snake while they were sleeping.

In face of anti-venom shortage, lives shatter when snakes strike
AFP | Publication date 20 March 2019 | 11:58 ICT
ON JUNE 15, 2015, four-year-old Chepchirchir Kiplagat’s life changed forever. Bitten by a snake as she slept, she permanently lost the use of the right side of her body.

Sleeping beside her on a mattress on the floor of their modest, mud-walled home, Chepchirchir’s two-year-old sister Scholar was also bitten.

She did not survive.

“It was hard to tell what had happened because the children were crying from the pain,” their father Jackson Chepkui, a 39-year-old livestock farmer, said at home in the tiny village of Embosos in Kenya’s remote western Baringo county.

“We saw two blood spots on her [Chepchirchir’s] wrist, that’s how we were able to conclude that they were bitten by a snake.”

With tiny Scholar no longer breathing, Chepkui scrambled to save his surviving daughter.

Embosos does not have its own clinic, and the frantic father struggled to find a motorcycle taxi to take them to the nearest town: Marigat about 30km away.

They finally arrived at about 1am – some five hours after the child was bitten – only to find the clinic had no anti-venom.

They set off again for the town of Kabarnet, another 40km away, again to find no stocks of the lifesaving serum.

Finally, Chepchirchir was brought to a hospital in the city of Eldoret, a further 90km away, by 5:00 am.

The little girl was in hospital for two months and suffered permanent damage. Of school age now, she requires a wheelchair her family cannot afford.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life ... kes-strike
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic