Woman Thief has Head Shaved by Angry Market Sellers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Woman Thief has Head Shaved by Angry Market Sellers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On September 13, 2018, at 12 pm, an unidentified woman thief was detained and had her hair shaved by the sellers in Prey Tear market, Khan Porsenchey, Phnom Penh.
According reports on social media, the woman was trying to steal a phone, but she got caught. The sellers at the market detained her and shaved her hair at the scene. After that they released her.

Many people on social media said that the action of the sellers was not right, that they shouldn't have punished the thief themselves.
As a result of all the comments and sharing the photos of the woman getting her head shaved, the Por Sen Chey district police chief, Yim Saran, has said that he will open an investigation into the incident, because, if it is true, this was an act of illegal violence on the alleged thief. He stressed that when there is a crime, the public should call the police, and not commit violence against the suspects.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Woman Thief has Head Shaved by Angry Market Sellers

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

You can not excuse the thief but the punishment is so cruel. It make me think about videos of French women shaved after the end of the war because they had relations with the germans.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: Four vendors, three men and one woman, are being questioned over the September 13 incident, where a young girl accused of stealing a phone had her head shaved by angry market sellers. The suspects have not been officially identified.

“Four vendors were called for questioning involving the use of violence and arrest of women who was abducted by the suspects,” said Por Sen Chey district police chief Yim Saran. The police are waiting to hear the Phnom Penh Municipal Court Prosecutors’ opinion on the matter before preceding further.
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Having your head shaved and let go is a better and less cruel punishment than getting beat up close to death and ending up in prison.
just noise, white noise
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kinetic wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:13 pm You can not excuse the thief but the punishment is so cruel. It make me think about videos of French women shaved after the end of the war because they had relations with the germans.
Relatively speaking, it wasn't that harsh a treatment. As someone else said, she wasn't beaten or imprisoned. In terms of community justice, it was rather tame. It's interesting that the police have cracked down on citizens taking justice into their own hands. How often does that happen?
Last edited by violet on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

whiteribbon wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:21 pm Having your head shaved and let go is a better and less cruel punishment than getting beat up close to death and ending up in prison.
"getting beat up close to death and ending up in prison" is less cruel than getting your head cut and your body burned, surrounded with people videotape the scene and put it on social medias. We can find worst and worst and worst and... situations. But it's not because ir's worst elesewhere that you can not complain.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

violet wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:27 pm
Kinetic wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:13 pm You can not excuse the thief but the punishment is so cruel. It make me think about videos of French women shaved after the end of the war because they had relations with the germans.
Relatively speaking, it wasn't that harsh a treatment. As someone else said, she wasn't beaten or imprisoned. In terms of community justice, it was rather take. It's interesting that the police have cracked down on citizens taking justice into their own hands. How often does that happen?
now a days the government only respond to social media events tat has garnered enuff viewers, i f u want something to get done, put it on social media n try to get as many views as possible
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I'm not sure I want this type of crime punishment stopped. While I don't go in for public stoning, this seemed a fair punishment that might be more effective and less costly than going through the system. I'm open to hearing I'm wrong
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic