Woman Thief has Head Shaved by Angry Market Sellers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Woman Thief has Head Shaved by Angry Market Sellers

Post by Old8404 »

From the merchant’s perspective, I would be pissed-off too…

I do not know or recall the model phone stolen but for the sake of discussion say it was $25 retail.

If the merchant paid $20 for it he then has to sell 4 more phones just to recoup the loss of the stolen one. Has to sell 5 phones before he makes any money on the phone sales.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

I don't think there is any doubt that the girl was wrong for stealing and that she deserved some punishment / re-education but going about that through mob justice can lead down a dangerous path of tit for tat beatings. There would be some big brothers, cousins, uncles or fathers that if they saw this happening to a member of their family that would issue beatings of their own to the grown ups in this video.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

hburns wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 pm I don't think there is any doubt that the girl was wrong for stealing and that she deserved some punishment / re-education but going about that through mob justice can lead down a dangerous path of tit for tat beatings. There would be some big brothers, cousins, uncles or fathers that if they saw this happening to a member of their family that would issue beatings of their own to the grown ups in this video.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm Well I did read it carefully and to the best of my knowledge Cambodia is part of the world. Your notion of tough justice is commonly referred to as
extrajudicial punishment which opens many doors, all of which you personally would be a fool to enter as a suspect.
You are still not getting the point.

Several members here think that the girl was harshly treated but looking at the video several times, all that happened was that she had a few slaps, a half hearted whack with a boom handle and an attempted kick. No one beat her up, she was not violently asulted or tortured and has no cuts or bruises showing.

She had her head partially shaved. Well good for the shop keepers. It's about time some tough love was shown rather than an "it's not her fault" or "she should be given counseling". My bet is that she won't be stealing again in a hurry.

My belief is that the fault lays with the luvvie liberal PC society that seems to punish the innocent and protect the guilty.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

TOG wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm
taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm Well I did read it carefully and to the best of my knowledge Cambodia is part of the world. Your notion of tough justice is commonly referred to as
extrajudicial punishment which opens many doors, all of which you personally would be a fool to enter as a suspect.
You are still not getting the point.
My belief is that the fault lays with the luvvie liberal PC society that seems to punish the innocent and protect the guilty.
Yes because the liberals really love to punish the innocent. Thieving and other crimes were non existent before those crazy liberals took over :dm:
just noise, white noise
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

whiteribbon wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 pm
Yes because the liberals really love to punish the innocent. Thieving and other crimes were non existent before those crazy liberals took over :dm:
Glad you agree
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic