Bangkok open list of suggestions....

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Bangkok open list of suggestions....

Post by wackyjacky »

I was hoping you would ask more informed and specific questions & you didn't - so here goes. Street food - Victory Mounument & Soi 38. Other good cheap eats are all the food courts at all the malls. Get the roasted duck at MKs. It's a steal. They're a chain and all over the place. Issan food - I like 'Love Scene' on Soi 23, 50m from Cowboy. Also on 23 a couple hundred meters down is Giustos, IMO the best Italian in BKK and that's saying something. My favorite massage place is Cefle on Soi 33. It's a higher end place full of Japanese businessmen, so go in the afternoon - 400B/2hrs. Cheap - Mais 2nd floor on Soi 19 (behind the Westin) 100B/hr. There's lots of good food and bars on Soi 11. You can make a night of it there. Even more so with Soi 55 in Thonglor-Ekkamai. All the cool places are up that way now. Great American Rib Co is across Sukhumvit on Soi 36 & has the best ribs outside of KC or Memphis IMO. When crossing Asoke go under by the MRT station. You can wait forever for the light to change up top. If staying around Asoke, take the ARL form BKK to Makkasan & walk across to Petchaburi MRT it's alot faster than BTS to Phaya Thai. Get a Rabbit Card for BTS and load it up. It deducts your fares & is faster, cheaper, and easier than individual tickets. You can buy it & use it at some retailers & food outlets too. If you drink wine, bring a couple bottles each w/you. It's crazy expensive in Thailand. My favorite pool in BKK is at the Sheraton. Take the elevator up to the Sala on the 3rd floor and buy a couple drinks. It's like you're in a rain forest. Take BTS to Saphan Thaksin and spend a day down by the river - Wat Po, Wat Arun, Royal Palace, Barge Museum etc. Go to Sky Bar on top of Lebua or Vertigo at the Banyan Tree. Just drinks, the food is crazy expensive. If a cab won't flip the meter - get out. The next guy will. Same deal at BKK or DMK. The taxi queue is always long at DMK, go up to Departures. If they won't take you into central Bangkok during Rush Hr, take the A1 bus (outside Gate 6 to BTS Morchit - 30B. Don't take cabs that are sitting, hail a moving cab only. The guys that hang near the hotels are out to rip you off. If you want electronics go to MBK or Pantip Plaza for the best deals. A trip up the river to Ayuthaya is a good way to kill a day. The ruins are about 1/10 as good as Angkor Wat, but still worth a look. No need to pay > 1800B for a sweet hotel. Hotels, cabs, and soi food are about all that's still cheap in town. If you have any hotel questions have at it. I've stayed in 60 + places in BKK.
Last edited by wackyjacky on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I stay at a nice hostel ON Soi 38, food is that good and a half block down from the hostel (HiSukhumvit). Got family rooms, doubles, kitchen, rooftop garden area with laundry machines. And the Skytrain is just past the food places. Get ya to Siam Paragon, MBK, Chatchuk market (end of that line) and the river where you can catch a nice river taxi boat ride up to Nonthaburi, which has a pretty good market for locals. Get to see both sides of the river and can get off and see Wat Arun or the Grand Palace. For something like 50 cents each way. Great for a first day to see lots of sights while sitting. I would not take someone out to walk the city the first day they hit that heat :)
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

wackyjacky wrote:I was hoping you would ask more informed and specific questions & you didn't - so here goes. Street food - Victory Mounument & Soi 38. Other good cheap eats are all the food courts at all the malls. Get the roasted duck at MKs. It's a steal. They're a chain and all over the place. Issan food - I like 'Love Scene' on Soi 23, 50m from Cowboy. Also on 23 a couple hundred meters down is Giustos, IMO the best Italian in BKK and that's saying something. My favorite massage place is Cefle on Soi 33. It's a higher end place full of Japanese businessmen, so go in the afternoon - 400B/2hrs. Cheap - Mais 2nd floor on Soi 19 (behind the Westin) 100B/hr. There's lots of good food and bars on Soi 11. You can make a night of it there. Even more so with Soi 55 in Thonglor-Ekkamai. All the cool places are up that way now. Great American Rib Co is across Sukhumvit on Soi 36 & has the best ribs outside of KC or Memphis IMO. When crossing Asoke go under by the MRT station. You can wait forever for the light to change up top. If staying around Asoke, take the ARL form BKK to Makkasan & walk across to Petchaburi MRT it's alot faster than BTS to Phaya Thai. Get a Rabbit Card for BTS and load it up. It deducts your fares & is faster, cheaper, and easier than individual tickets. You can buy it & use it at some retailers & food outlets too. If you drink wine, bring a couple bottles each w/you. It's crazy expensive in Thailand. My favorite pool in BKK is at the Sheraton. Take the elevator up to the Sala on the 3rd floor and buy a couple drinks. It's like you're in a rain forest. Take BTS to Saphan Thaksin and spend a day down by the river - Wat Po, Wat Arun, Royal Palace, Barge Museum etc. Go to Sky Bar on top of Lebua or Vertigo at the Banyan Tree. Just drinks, the food is crazy expensive. If a cab won't flip the meter - get out. The next guy will. Same deal at BKK or DMK. The taxi queue is always long at DMK, go up to Departures. If they won't take you into central Bangkok during Rush Hr, take the A1 bus (outside Gate 6 to BTS Morchit - 30B. Don't take cabs that are sitting, hail a moving cab only. The guys that hang near the hotels are out to rip you off. If you want electronics go to MBK or Pantip Plaza for the best deals. A trip up the river to Ayuthaya is a good way to kill a day. The ruins are about 1/10 as good as Angkor Wat, but still worth a look. No need to pay > 1800B for a sweet hotel. Hotels, cabs, and soi food are about all that's still cheap in town. If you have any hotel questions have at it. I've stayed in 60 + places in BKK.
Awesome list. Thanks.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if ur around soi 4 head down and under the expressway are some very good street rests an very good prices, i eat there alot when in Bangkok.
the places out out soi 55 are expensive an the bigger clubs are 99% thai's
looking for a camera head up to top floor mbk

Bangkok has so much to see, do, drink, fuck.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Yeah. I'll be there with my Fiancee and parents. Just a reminder. Cheers.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ahh right,

Ever been to a lady boy show? millions of satisfied customers every year love it an dif u have never seen one it is worth it for the costumes and performances.
http://www.calypsocabaret.com/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

they go down Soi 4 off Sukhumvit and they'll SEE a ladyboy show, with every step. Night time at least.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

There's 3 or 4 LB bars in Nana now according to Stickman, not to mention the gaggle of LBs hanging out front. Watch your wallets on the odd side of Suk between Soi 11 & Asoke, late night - they're expert pickpockets.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i am NOT talking about lady boy bars but a full on Las Veags style performance by performers
If you have enever seen one its worth it

2nd floor of nana has always had 3-4 lb bars ( back near the back stairs)
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

phuketrichard wrote:i am NOT talking about lady boy bars but a full on Las Veags style performance by performers
If you have enever seen one its worth it

2nd floor of nana has always had 3-4 lb bars ( back near the back stairs)
Maybe. We are all open minded enough. Yeah, I've heard that some of the great ones are pretty high class. Maybe. My father loves food and so do I. So any off the guide spots or on the beaten track but delicious are a big thumbs up.

Culture and anything nature-centric for the ladies. Wat Arun and G. P. and most of the top 25 tourist type shit is planned out. I really don't know any great restaurants there. Street food is of course fine. Great lists above.

Thank you all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic