Sending Uk pounds from Uk account to Cambodian bank account.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sending Uk pounds from Uk account to Cambodian bank account.

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'd be tempted to use Transferrwise once to see how much it costs. They are potentially the best deal.
Of course you can also bring cash, change it for USD in PP (at one of the good places) and whack the cash into your Cambodian bank account.
Nobby Stiles
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Nobby Stiles »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm I'd be tempted to use Transferrwise once to see how much it costs. They are potentially the best deal.
Of course you can also bring cash, change it for USD in PP (at one of the good places) and whack the cash into your Cambodian bank account.

Where would these good money changers be in PP? Do you have an address?

Unfortunately TransferWise don’t seem to be the best when sending US dollar outside of the US.

Regards

Mr N Stiles.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Nobby Stiles wrote:
armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm I'd be tempted to use Transferrwise once to see how much it costs. They are potentially the best deal.

Unfortunately TransferWise don’t seem to be the best when sending US dollar outside of the US.

Regards

Mr N Stiles.
Around central market there are many of changers who will change money dangerously close to the actual rate. Like only 1 cent difference - much better than bank rates or any online transfer company.
Nobby Stiles
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Spoke with RationalFX and a part from getting the most miserable unhelpful person on the phone she did confirm their service and also said that no intermediary bank would be used in the transaction, which is the exception to everybody else I’ve contacted.
Just hope the customer service improves or someone gives that women a good roggering to cheer her up!

Thanks for all the info guys!

Regards

Mr N Stiles.
Nobby Stiles
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Nobby Stiles »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:57 pm
Nobby Stiles wrote:

Regards

Mr N Stiles.
Around central market there are many of changers who will change money dangerously close to the actual rate. Like only 1 cent difference - much better than bank rates or any online transfer company.

Thank you Sir!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:57 pm
Nobby Stiles wrote:

Regards

Mr N Stiles.
i always bring cash for when im in Thailand, the exchange rates in England are shocking compared to Thailand, when i went to Thailand a couple of months ago, in England the exchange rate at the post office and banks were 39.something baht to the £, when in Thailand it was closer to 44 baht to the £, Thailand ATMs end up costing £10 a transaction these days now too
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I used Rational last about 4 years ago. Money came in 24 hours to my UCB account. There was an intermediary cost from Standard Chartered @ $31 Each transaction, no matter how big or small. No receipts from them to say they took it, they just do! They wouldn't agree to receive money back from my Cambodia account to UK . I think I used TorFX for that, not many like sending from Cambodia.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Nobby Stiles wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Regards

Mr N Stiles.
I use one on st 136 just east of the New (Central) Market, on the left side as you go from the market towards St 51. The rate will be good as long as you change a lot at one time (e.g £500). Check the rate on your phone before you go in and haggle if necessary.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Rational FX transferring at 1.28797 today (online) plus fees (4GBP sending plus receiving bank % fee).

I got 1.29 last week near central market.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 am As per Jamie, for such things I use a foreign exchange broker. They buy and sell currency in large quantity, so you benefit from a much better exchange rate than the one you'd achieve by allowing your bank to make the trade at their daily forex rate.

I used PureFx previously when receiving a salary in Euros. The difference amounted to £300 in savings on a monthly net salary of around £3200-3500.

Whichever one you opt for, check how they are operating- whether they hold funds on your behalf in bank accounts that they control, or transfer straight away to your own bank account. There was the case of a -FX company folding and taking a lot of small 'traders' money in the last week or so.
Typically banks offer 99% of the rate they pay themselves for the major foreign currencies, making 1%. At least my bank does. A 7-8% difference simply seems unreal when you just take the exchange rate into account.
Last edited by Kammekor on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic