I am having difficulties finding a residence

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
geordiesky
Expatriate
Kazakhstan

I am having difficulties finding a residence

Post by geordiesky »

First thing I did while getting of the plane was going straight to the hotel. And i guess it was fantastic, you know.
And i thought to myself: "oh yeah, here I can stay forever".

But it got expensive and so I had to look for something else, something more permanent or with a longer lease. And herein lies the difficulties.
First place I stayed for a week only after realizing my bedroom was right next to the highway and that i could not sleep after the odd semis decided to swerve by in the middle of the night, thus interrupting my sleep.

The second place was way better but it was too far off from where I wanted to be. And now I am back to riverside again but I am literally annoyed or wanting to live someplace that is not exactly a hotel room, yet not totally in the outback. I think I have called to about 15 street advert numbers and talked to a dozen landlords. The rooms are either too small or something is lacking or it does just not suit me.

I mean what gives am I witnessing a housing bubble in progress or what? :dm:
HarleyG
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: I am having difficulties finding a residence

Post by HarleyG »

Check out the guys/gals at Freer properties or Seaps Realty and they have both found great places for me and others staying here longish term. Cheers!!
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

check Serviced Apartments Phnom Penh.: Murray's Place
geordiesky
Expatriate
Kazakhstan

Post by geordiesky »

I guess I am looking for serviced apartments.
Thanks for the links. Is there any point to not doing it directly?

I mean going through the internet and doing it all there?
I just feel that I am being thwarted at every turn here. Always some small thing like electric going out for hours at the time, or noise from the neighbours, some bad smell that was not apparent while moving in / out etc.

It's not normal by my standards. I mean not anything is going to be taken for given here, is there?
And I can tell you right now I am not being snobby my threshold is actually pretty wide besides the few basics, you know.

I guess I have been very unlucky in my endevours thus far.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

This is Cambodia. Nobody does internet stuff for rent and all that email jazz. Of course it’s not normal to your standards - you’re from another part of the world!

It doesn’t matter what you pay. It will smell and sound strange at odd hours and there will be no electricity sometimes.

Just go home now before you waste anymore time. You will not be happy here.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

You could be next.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

geordiesky wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:34 am I guess I am looking for serviced apartments.
Mekong Gardens are great quality serviced apartments.They are over on Chroy Changvar about 3 k north of the bridge. There are actualy two bridgws operating now even though the Japanese bridge is closed for repair. The bridge does get busy at times but I find it ok. http://www.mekong-gardens.com/index.php?page=gallery

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

HarleyG wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 am Check out the guys/gals at Freer properties or Seaps Realty and they have both found great places for me and others staying here longish term. Cheers!!
Good idea if your employer is paying the rent!
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

geordiesky wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:34 am I guess I am looking for serviced apartments.

I mean going through the internet and doing it all there?
I just feel that I am being thwarted at every turn here. Always some small thing like electric going out for hours at the time, or noise from the neighbours, some bad smell that was not apparent while moving in / out etc.

It's not normal by my standards. I mean not anything is going to be taken for given here, is there?
And I can tell you right now I am not being snobby my threshold is actually pretty wide besides the few basics, you know.

I guess I have been very unlucky in my endevours thus far.

Sorry but if you are not ready to live in a dump you should move to Thailand. Everything is cheaper and better. For $150/month you can have a very nice room in a small city. A lot cleaner and with people who are a lot more educated than in Cambodia.
Cambodia can be fine for some reasons, but not yours it seems.
blerrr9
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blerrr9 »

Just search on google about serviced apartments, a lot of place will come out.

Some people also post it in khmer24.com
If you want cheap while you are a foreigner and especially not asian and can't speak khmer , it's just impossible.
YOLO

Follow your heart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic