No more way to be expat in Cambodia, no more visa for non-retired and non-worker

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: No more way to be expat in Cambodia, no more visa for non-retired and non-worker

Post by prahocalypse now »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 pm Does anyone else wonder if the un-rented condos are (like the shoe shops in shopping malls) simply money laundering props?
I'd say they are more like a Chinaman's version of a piggy bank.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: No more way to be expat in Cambodia, no more visa for non-retired and non-worker

Post by onico »

lucathenomad wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:43 am Not sure if Cambodia will gain from losing my 2000$+ spending in PP, but have to respect whatever rules of host country!
Same thing, and exactly same monthly budget here.

When I visit country side and see how the provinces can be empty and medieval ; and when I see my the respectable old lady owner of the apartment that I rent, crying when I warn that, maybe, I have to go soon leaving her duplex without tenant again ; I think I don't understand the strategy.

They open a new barang supermarket every two months in Phnom Penh, struggling to sell out their fresh products. Why ask guys with our situation to leave, why not just ask 5.000$ or 10.000$ local bank statement each year to avoid homeless meth head barangs ? Or, in an other way, just asking to leave and come back one time for one year ? It's already a good filter. I definitely leave the country for visiting the neighbors at least two times a year. But twelves, hmmm boring.

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:55 am If you're rich enough to retire before age 50 and live off investments, it shouldn't be a burden for you to fly to Bangkok for a weekend every two months then return on a tourist visa, extend tourist visa by 30 days, repeat.
Living here for 4 years, I forgot we can extend +30 days the tourist Visa. Thanks. It's a good alternative, but, no for very long term, 2 months is still short and a bit restrictive - will soon let me tired for sure. Anyway, a good solution to stay here 1 more year and see what happen in the futur. Better than get an E visa for one month and repeat :-D

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am and if you're rich enough to retire before age 55, then it is easy enough to obtain a 12 month multi-entry ER (Retirement) EOS...why fuck around with single-entry Tourist Visas or EG (General) EOSs'.
:facepalm:
Two times you say that. Can you please tell me the way to get an ER visa when you are 30 ? Really, I didn't find that. All people seems to agree they don't deliver that under 55.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You can write a statuatory declaration stating that you do not work and do not intend to work in Cambodia because you are financially secure, blah, blah, blah...present that along with evidence of sufficient income and or sufficient funds for the duration of your stay. Plenty of people well under 55 have successfully received an ER EOS by doing this.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

Sounds good, but, you give this declaration to who ? Because, the few travel agencies I ask to do that said me that is not possible.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:27 am
that genius wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 am The apartments were not built to be rented, but to whitewash.

You misunderstand the motive.
And whitewashing isn't just spending. So they'll be looking for buyers and renters.
But nowhere near to the extent that a normal western environment would.

Anybody who's been here for any length of time can tell you that they won't budge on the rent, even if the place stays empty for years.

They simply don't care. But they love money...so what does that tell you?

Western rules/logic are useless here.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 am
onico wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 am
So, they are clearing the country with a good pressure washer ? Just need to hold on waiting the storm to end ? Without that, who will rent yearly the new brand condominiums which grow everywhere in PP ?

Let's share your thoughts! ;-)
Clearing out the undesireables, yes. Of course. Long overdue.

Who will "rent yearly all the brand new condomimiums" in PP? People who have a valid reason and documents to reside and/or work in Cambodia and can afford to do so. Welcome to 2018.
Indeed, especially those who insist on wearing long-sleeved office shirts to bars and saving hookers...how have you been?

Hopefully we should include only those that can spell in English as well, LOL.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

onico wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:42 pm Sounds good, but, you give this declaration to who ? Because, the few travel agencies I ask to do that said me that is not possible.
Either directly at the DoI, or through an agent who actually knows what they are doing. Google "Call Kim", she can assist.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

that genius wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 pm I wouldn't mind frequent trips out, but getting a new passport is hassle with full-page visa stcikers
getting an e-visa saves you from getting a stamp in your passport, never done it though,
i used to make monthly trips to Hua Hin in Thailand, my passport didnt last long, its not just the visas but the rubber stamps too each time you cross and come back, soon add up
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

onico wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:57 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:55 am If you're rich enough to retire before age 50 and live off investments, it shouldn't be a burden for you to fly to Bangkok for a weekend every two months then return on a tourist visa, extend tourist visa by 30 days, repeat.
Living here for 4 years, I forgot we can extend +30 days the tourist Visa. Thanks. It's a good alternative, but, no for very long term, 2 months is still short and a bit restrictive - will soon let me tired for sure. Anyway, a good solution to stay here 1 more year and see what happen in the futur. Better than get an E visa for one month and repeat :-D

you can get the 6month EG multi entry extension for the first 6 months, some people have been able to renew that for a 2nd year, thats your first 14 months sorted anyway with only 1 border run
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

that genius wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:00 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:27 am
that genius wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 am The apartments were not built to be rented, but to whitewash.

You misunderstand the motive.
And whitewashing isn't just spending. So they'll be looking for buyers and renters.
But nowhere near to the extent that a normal western environment would.

Anybody who's been here for any length of time can tell you that they won't budge on the rent, even if the place stays empty for years.

They simply don't care. But they love money...so what does that tell you?

Western rules/logic are useless here.
Those two simply don't match. You have to come up with something better to convince me.

I know there's a strange logic behind it all, but I'm pretty sure it's not the one you describe. My guess is they they seriously believe the future will offer better chances, and they're here to stay long term.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic