Aeon 2,Drivers license renwal

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Aeon 2,Drivers license renwal

Post by lostjeremy »

Freightdog wrote:I need some assistance on the driving licence

I've finally tracked down the local Sangkat office. They decline to issue a residence certificate. Reason given- I'm not Khmer.

I have a lease on an apartment.
An IDP
UK driving licence
1 year 'E' visa with multiple entry

According to the Driving licence department at Aeon2, I must have the residence certificate, or they won't issue a driving licence.
Any (genuine) suggestions or help gratefully received.
1 of 2 things...
A. Have your landlord do it.
B. Print the form yourself and take it to the sangkat to sign and stamp.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lostjeremy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:07 pm

I've finally tracked down the local Sangkat office. They decline to issue a residence certificate. Reason given- I'm not Khmer.

An IDP
UK driving licence

According to the Driving licence department at Aeon2, I must have the residence certificate, or they won't issue a driving licence.
1 of 2 things...

Check if your Sankat needs the signature of the village chief as well before you do that. Many sankats do.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

lostjeremy wrote:

An IDP
UK driving licence

1 of 2 things...

I don’t understand why you would ask the landlord to do it, why would they feel obliged to do it?

It’s nothing to do with them. Once you have your sangkat stamped rental contract it’s your responsibility.
If you can’t get it because the landlord hasn’t registered the contract with sangkat then then landlord must be involved. They are legally required to do that - and if they haven’t done it you will struggle to get the cert.
If i was a landlord and a tenant was insisting I do this then I’d make sure they knew where to go to but I wouldn’t do it for them.
What next? help them open a bank account? Help register for taxes? How about the birth of their child?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

What form?
It took a while to identify where the Sangkat office is. Turns out it was a five minute walk, but it took close on 6 weeks to get that info.

It seems there are different procedures depending on which person is on duty at the time, or the proximity to lunch time, or the office involved.

If I closed my eyes, I could imagine I was dealing with a British gubbinsment department
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Reading in this forum and others, it seems that depending on which sangkat you go to, there will be different levels of friendliness and requirements to getting the paper.

My GF and I originally went to the local sangkat to enquire and we got a frosty reception by a woman there complaining that all barang come here but don't have the lease agreement in khmer etc etc I had hoped there would be someone there at the sangkat that could read english and be happy with that but given this requirement I told my landlord about it and he went and checked himself and he confirmed a translation was required. So, in the end he organised it all..
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

clutchcargo wrote:Reading in this forum and others, it seems that depending on which sangkat you go to, there will be different levels of friendliness and requirements to getting the paper.

My GF and I originally went to the local sangkat to enquire and we got a frosty reception by a woman there complaining that all barang come here but don't have the lease agreement in khmer etc etc I had hoped there would be someone there at the sangkat that could read english and be happy with that but given this requirement I told my landlord about it and he went and checked himself and he confirmed a translation was required. So, in the end he organised it all..
Why would they have someone who speaks English?
Would it be reasonable to hope that they have someone who can speak French, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese etc?

I think it’s pretty reasonable that they ask for the documents in their home language.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 am
clutchcargo wrote:Reading in this forum and others, it seems that depending on which sangkat you go to, there will be different levels of friendliness and requirements to getting the paper.

Would it be reasonable to hope that they have someone who can speak French, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese etc?

I think it’s pretty reasonable that they ask for the documents in their home language.
Only coz we had gone to another nearby sangkat and they had directed us to this one on account we were told they had an english speaker there who would not require a translation. Seems we were misinformed or the required person wasn't there.

But anyway, you're right..why would they?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

clutchcargo wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 am

Only coz we had gone to another nearby sangkat and they had directed us to this one on account we were told they had an english speaker there who would not require a translation. Seems we were misinformed or the required person wasn't there.

But anyway, you're right..why would they?
Fair enough.
In all my dealings here I have been required to provide Khmer docs, with one exception. The ministry of foreign affairs. They wouldn’t accept anything in Khmer!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

khmerhamster wrote:Would it be reasonable to hope that they have someone who can speak French, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese etc?
That would be in the republik of Kalifornia, sir.
Even voting is done in dozens of languages there.

Now back to serious responses.

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:47 pm What form?
It took a while to identify where the Sangkat office is. Turns out it was a five minute walk, but it took close on 6 weeks to get that info.

It seems there are different procedures depending on which person is on duty at the time, or the proximity to lunch time, or the office involved.

If I closed my eyes, I could imagine I was dealing with a British gubbinsment department
No, in the UK they would play it by the book. The Sangkat, otoh, have latitude in how to interpret the book. A lot depends what they think of you when you rock up.
In Cambodia so much is about relationships, once these are established, people get much more helpful. I would gently suggest that if took you six weeks to find out where your local Sangkat is located, then you went there too soon.
The point about going there with your landlord is that (once you have a good relationship with him) you can piggy-back on his credentials with the Sangkat. If you go alone, or with Khmers that they don't know and trust, you are taking a chance. And once they have told you no, you will have a hard time changing that decision because there is nobody to appeal to and they won't want to lose face by changing their mind.
If you have an IDL, you should be OK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic