Eating..laughing at breakfast..what next? Saudi wankers

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Eating..laughing at breakfast..what next? Saudi wankers

Post by that genius »

Man arrested after breakfast with woman in Saudi Arabia
By Tom Gerken, UGC & Social News Team
And Rana Taha, BBC Monitoring
10 September 2018
Share this with Facebook Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share this with Email Share
Image caption
Arrested after eating this meal
An Egyptian man in Saudi Arabia has been arrested after a video of him having breakfast with a woman went viral on Twitter.

In the video, a man with an Egyptian dialect eats breakfast beside a woman wearing a full face veil, who many assumed to be Saudi.

This is in contravention of the law in Saudi Arabia, where in workplaces or eateries like McDonald's and Starbucks, families and single men have to sit in different areas.

Women must sit separately from single men in these places.

They are not allowed to carry out most activities without being accompanied by their male guardians, usually a father or husband, but possibly a brother or a son.

The man was arrested by the Saudi Ministry of Labour and Social Development, who accused him of "committing several violations and taking up a post exclusively reserved for Saudis".

The Arabic hashtag "an Egyptian having breakfast with a Saudi" has been used over 113,000 times on Twitter, where it has become the centre of a cultural divide.

Media captionFive things Saudi women still can't do
The view from Saudi Arabia
In the 30-second video, the man and woman briefly joke about eating their breakfast together, with nobody else invited.

But the point which has caused the most consternation comes at the end of the video, when the woman appears to feed the man.

Many Saudis on social media were highly critical of both the man and the woman, with the majority of people wondering why the man was punished instead of the woman.

"I need to understand why men are constantly punished and not women," said Twitter user Malak. "I am a Saudi [woman] and I swear I want them to punish her with him. Laughter, eating at the workplace... where are your limits?"