Random questions everywhere...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Random questions everywhere...

Post by Username Taken »

dizzyde wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:48 pm
Username Taken wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 pm Do people with dengue fever usually get hospitalized?

Apart from that, there are plenty of mosquitoes in classrooms.
If you mean the students, then lol, agreed. Other than that, I'm clueless, as I said, recent arrival. I have no idea what the norm is for dengue fever, but my colleagues all seem very alarmed, and I am probably going to get cancer with the amount of insect repellent I'm applying.

All I can hope is that you're not an English teacher.

:facepalm:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 pm Do people with dengue fever usually get hospitalized?
In my experience (which some will tell you is wrong because statistics that they just Googled) no, not normally - normally it's off to the clinic for a blood test to confirm, but at that point the doctor is already confident of diagnosis and is doing the bloods to check levels. The bleeding variant is more likely to put somebody in hospital, but the westerners I know that have had it, self included, are normally on home bed rest and treated symptomatically. For me the biggest problem was overheating and becoming wildly delirious initially, and then a slow recovery to get over the weakness and wobbles. I'm confident it's much worse for nationals who haven't had the life-long advantage of good health care and general hygiene.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:Do people with dengue fever usually get hospitalized?

Apart from that, there are plenty of mosquitoes in classrooms.
I think it depends on when they catch it. If the quacks catch it quick enough I have known people to get hospitalized just to go on an IV to keep fluids up and some good pain meds.

In my case, I just got told to go home and drink water. Worst fucking experience of my life.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Links don't work for me.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Multipox wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 am
Links don't work for me.
Looks like their site is down, none are working now!

Contact Us | SLN Meat Supplies Pty Ltd.
sln-australianmeat.com/?page_id=6

SLN Meat Supplies Pty Ltd. - Import beef from Australian to Cambodia. ... Email: [email protected] ... E-mail: [email protected] ...
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

First time I had dengue it was hospital and hell

Second time I sucked it up and went to work
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:39 pm
Multipox wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 am
Links don't work for me.
Looks like their site is down, none are working now!

Contact Us | SLN Meat Supplies Pty Ltd.
sln-australianmeat.com/?page_id=6

SLN Meat Supplies Pty Ltd. - Import beef from Australian to Cambodia. ... Email: [email protected] ... E-mail: [email protected] ...
If that is the kampot abboitor, then to the best of my knowledge it has closed down a while ago.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

that genius wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:41 pm First time I had dengue it was hospital and hell

Second time I sucked it up and went to work
I had Ross River Virus around 20 years ago when based in Carnarvon, Western Australia. My doctor, also a good friend, told me I could either take bed rest for six months with medication and be a miserable bastard, or go about my normal life with medication and chronic fatigue for six months, and be a miserable bastard. Chose the latter. I pushed through dengue too hard last year and, as already stated, ended up delirious for a lot of the time. Oddly I'm not as young as I was 20 years ago, and with two 18-month rounds of methotrexate under the belt since, less able to roll with the punches.

On reflection, I'm not as confident I'm well suited to tropical climes.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Ive been living/suffering with Yellow Fever for the past 6 years, its been a struggle
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Capa
Tourist
Philippines

Post by Capa »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:22 pm
IraHayes wrote:Or just don't befriend stroppy... seems it could be bad for your health.
Maybe so.

Perhaps the mosquitos have nested in the beard.
That's not all. There are probably crab lice in that beard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic