Random questions everywhere...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Random questions everywhere...

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:14 pm Good God man. I’m not sure if you are trying to be dumb or it just comes naturally!

All I have said is that your experience is not the same as mine. I don’t think you are lying, but your commenting of three out a small group contracting dengue suggests that it is major concern for foreigners which I don’t think is true. I disagreed, not with your facts but the implication/opinion that it is common.
Can’t you just read what I have written?!?

OP. Don’t come, you’ll die from the Dengue - if the beef doesn’t kill you first.
Read what you wrote, still undecided as to whether you're a twat.

Perhaps YOU could go back and read the thread... I never opined or commented that dengue was prevalent, I simply responded to a statement that PP's mosquitoes are not malarial with a comment that they're currently carrying dengue, and later commented on the number of my friends/contacts who've had it this season and previous seasons - which you follow with comments about soft and overly dramatic westerners wanting to complete their tropical infections score card.

Honestly not interested in whether you think you need to start offering PSAs to counter my posts.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:14 pm Good God man. I’m not sure if you are trying to be dumb or it just comes naturally!

All I have said is that your experience is not the same as mine. I don’t think you are lying, but your commenting of three out a small group contracting dengue suggests that it is major concern for foreigners which I don’t think is true. I disagreed, not with your facts but the implication/opinion that it is common.

OP. Don’t come, you’ll die from the Dengue - if the beef doesn’t kill you first.

Perhaps YOU could go back and read the thread... I never opined or commented that dengue was prevalent, I simply responded to a statement that PP's mosquitoes are not malarial with a comment that they're currently carrying dengue, and later commented on the number of my friends/contacts who've had it this season and previous seasons - which you follow with comments about soft and overly dramatic westerners wanting to complete their tropical infections score card.

Honestly not interested in whether you think you need to start offering PSAs to counter my posts.
You keep saying that you don’t care/aren’t interested. But also cannot stop replying...
You clearly DO care and your desire to be seen as the most knowledgeable chap on the board drives you on.

You said they were virulent - may be true, I didn’t argue - you also said that in a small group of friends, 3 have contracted it.
So by implication it’s virulent and widespread.

I thought a more useful response which may help assuage OP concerns would be to share my experience. The comment about overly dramatic westerners is from my experience - wait, are you saying my experience isn’t valid? Surely not, as you got so upset when you thought I suggested your facts were mere opinions.

Anyway I’m out, you are tedious. You should go and take care of your friends before they all expire from Dengue on you.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:55 pm
StroppyChops wrote:

You keep saying that you don’t care/aren’t interested. But also cannot stop replying...
You clearly DO care and your desire to be seen as the most knowledgeable chap on the board drives you on.

You said they were virulent - may be true, I didn’t argue - you also said that in a small group of friends, 3 have contracted it.
So by implication it’s virulent and widespread.

I thought a more useful response which may help assuage OP concerns would be to share my experience. The comment about overly dramatic westerners is from my experience - wait, are you saying my experience isn’t valid? Surely not, as you got so upset when you thought I suggested your facts were mere opinions.

Anyway I’m out, you are tedious. You should go and take care of your friends before they all expire from Dengue on you.

Tone Argument / Tone Police

Very nice re-writing of the narrative and deducing there. I like how you use my words, shuffle them, and then claim I meant something else to support your wrong assumptions.

What I particularly enjoyed is the way YOU started the adhom attacks on me, and then tried to scurry back to the higher Reasonable People Only ground. Go, you good thing! You are above such tediousness! Be away with you now!
Spoiler:
Twat.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

‘Critical’ year for dengue, as cases jump by 130 percent and one death reported in Phnom Penh Yesenia Amaro | Publication date 05 February 2018

Dengue fever cases have spiked by more than 130 percent in the first three weeks of 2018 as Cambodia enters an “epidemic” year, the likes of which haven’t been seen since 2012, when the mosquito-borne virus infected nearly 40,000 and left some 160 people dead.

Dengue cases spike according to natural cycles, and health officials had predicted that another epidemic would strike the country in 2017 or this year, with this year’s number of cases already having already reached alarming rates, officials and experts said

During the first three weeks of January, there were 316 dengue cases – one of them fatal – compared to only 138 nonfatal cases in the same period last year, according to Dr Ly Sovann, spokesman for the Ministry of Health and director of the ministry’s Communicable Disease Control Department.

“We urge the public to take preventive measures and [to] go to [the] hospital for treatment,” Sovann said in a message.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... phnom-penh
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

2018: Dengue fever figures on the increase
newsworthy/2018-dengue-fever-figures-th ... lit=dengue
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Many years ago I read an article in Scientific American on dengue fever in South Africa ( I believe ) - it was referred to as 'bone crushing disease' - for the pain it caused.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

stevenjb wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:48 pm Many years ago I read an article in Scientific American on dengue fever in South Africa ( I believe ) - it was referred to as 'bone crushing disease' - for the pain it caused.
While I did have a lot of pain, I found it to be more debilitating than bone-crushingly painful. Weak, exhausted...
dizzyde
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by dizzyde »

My first post on this forum, but just read this back and forth about dengue and had to throw my 100 KHR in. I'm a recent arrival (been here a little over two months) and I work for an international school with multiple PP locations. As of this afternoon, we have had four teachers from different school locations hospitalized with dengue fever. Not that I'm an expert, but this is apparently very abnormal.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Do people with dengue fever usually get hospitalized?

Apart from that, there are plenty of mosquitoes in classrooms.
dizzyde
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by dizzyde »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 pm Do people with dengue fever usually get hospitalized?

Apart from that, there are plenty of mosquitoes in classrooms.
If you mean the students, then lol, agreed. Other than that, I'm clueless, as I said, recent arrival. I have no idea what the norm is for dengue fever, but my colleagues all seem very alarmed, and I am probably going to get cancer with the amount of insect repellent I'm applying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic