Random questions everywhere...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Random questions everywhere...

Post by khmerhamster »

taabarang wrote:"Maybe I’m just too cynical."

There are different strains; if you get a bad one you'll lose your cynicism.
I have nursed someone through a bad episode - I know how bad it can be. My cynicism is directed at those who contract ‘Dengue’ and are back to normal within a few days.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am
StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 am
StroppyChops wrote:
kaya14 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm OK I can't imagine a situation where I'll hold a lizard in my hand ugh. And I thought the mosquitos in PP don't carry malaria?
At the moment they're carrying a particularly virulent strain of dengue.
You are a bit of a profit of doom, are you trying to scare the girl?

The dengue thing might be true, but in 11 years of living here I have known less than ten people contract dengue and AFAIR nobody this year. I have a pretty large circle of acquaintances in PP and rural.

So if you are careful & use a mosquito net (I don’t) and use mosquitos repellent (also I don’t) & don’t have standing water around your house then you will be at extremely low risk of contracting dengue.
I have a smaller circle of friends and I personally know three who've had it this season. I've had it myself so you can add me to the list.
The folks I have known to have had it have been absolutely wiped out for a week or more.
I have heard of people claim they have dengue and be back operational within a couple of days. I’m inclined to call that inherent laziness/unnecessary drama rather than a real illness. Some foreigners seem to like to call a full house on tropical illness bingo - makes a good story for back home.

Maybe I’m just too cynical.
Maybe you just need to be right.

The people I know who've had it this season have been hospitalised, or treated in bed at home, all have suffered for weeks, and have all lived here for more than a few years. Several had the bleeding strain last year. I'm not sure why you feel the need to argue the point when it comes to my friends and my lived experience, but I frankly don't care if you want to call strangers you haven't met lazy or unnecessarily dramatic - go for it, if it makes you feel that superior.

And yes, I see that you've carefully crafted your post so you can now say "Don't be so sensitive, I wasn't talking about you or your friends specifically." Well done, you superior being.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am
StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 am
StroppyChops wrote: At the moment they're carrying a particularly virulent strain of dengue.
You are a bit of a profit of doom, are you trying to scare the girl?

The dengue thing might be true, but in 11 years of living here I have known less than ten people contract dengue and AFAIR nobody this year. I have a pretty large circle of acquaintances in PP and rural.

So if you are careful & use a mosquito net (I don’t) and use mosquitos repellent (also I don’t) & don’t have standing water around your house then you will be at extremely low risk of contracting dengue.
I have a smaller circle of friends and I personally know three who've had it this season. I've had it myself so you can add me to the list.
The folks I have known to have had it have been absolutely wiped out for a week or more.
I have heard of people claim they have dengue and be back operational within a couple of days. I’m inclined to call that inherent laziness/unnecessary drama rather than a real illness. Some foreigners seem to like to call a full house on tropical illness bingo - makes a good story for back home.

Maybe I’m just too cynical.
Maybe you just need to be right.

The people I know who've had it this season have been hospitalised, or treated in bed at home, all have suffered for weeks, and have all lived here for more than a few years. Several had the bleeding strain last year. I'm not sure why you feel the need to argue the point when it comes to my friends and my lived experience, but I frankly don't care if you want to call strangers you haven't met lazy or unnecessarily dramatic - go for it, if it makes you feel that superior.

And yes, I see that you've carefully crafted your post so you can now say "Don't be so sensitive, I wasn't talking about you or your friends specifically." Well done, you superior being.
It’s not all about you chum. Despite what you seem to think.
I’m not arguing about your friends, how could I? I don’t know them. Your small group of friends seem to be remarkably unlucky. The government’s models expected to see 17k cases of dengue this year which is about 0.1% of the population. So unless your ‘small group’ of friends is 3000 in number then they are indeed extremely unlucky. I’d also surmise that your friends are lower risk than the general populace (economic status, living location etc.)

You shared your experience. I thought it was overly negative and fear mongering so I shared my own experience. Is mine more significant than yours? No, but it is relevant.

I’m trying to give the OP a balanced view. Keep your knickers on, honestly you really are a precious child.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm ...honestly you really are a precious child.
I truly am. And so are you. Campfire?

bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm
It’s not all about you chum. Despite what you seem to think.
I’m not arguing about your friends, how could I? I don’t know them. Your small group of friends seem to be remarkably unlucky. The government’s models expected to see 17k cases of dengue this year which is about 0.1% of the population. So unless your ‘small group’ of friends is 3000 in number then they are indeed extremely unlucky. I’d also surmise that your friends are lower risk than the general populace (economic status, living location etc.)

You shared your experience. I thought it was overly negative and fear mongering so I shared my own experience. Is mine more significant than yours? No, but it is relevant.

I’m trying to give the OP a balanced view. Keep your knickers on, honestly you really are a precious child.
dengue outbreak happens in close quarter clusters

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm ...honestly you really are a precious child.

Opinions differ from facts and can, and should, be debated.

Please be aware that holding an alternative opinion from me does not automatically mean that I think you are a dickhead.

However, the fact that you seem to be a dickhead may mean that I think you are a dickhead.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 pm
StroppyChops wrote:

Please be aware that holding an alternative opinion from me does not automatically mean that I think you are a dickhead.

However, the fact that you seem to be a dickhead may mean that I think you are a dickhead.
Can't tell if you're trying to be funny/smart or just being a twat.

My lived experience is that three friends have had diagnosed Dengue this season. I was diagnosed with it myself previously. Last year, some of my friends/contacts had the hemorrhagic type. These are facts, not my opinion. Why you feel entitled (or the need) to have an alternative opinion on what I've expressed as MY lived experience is beyond me, but also beyond the reach of my care factor.

I've not known you to be a twat in your posting before, but the fact that you're being a twat here leads me to believe you're a twat.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Random questions everywhere...

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 pm
StroppyChops wrote:

Can't tell if you're trying to be funny/smart or just being a twat.

My lived experience is that three friends have had diagnosed Dengue this season. I was diagnosed with it myself previously. Last year, some of my friends/contacts had the hemorrhagic type. These are facts, not my opinion. Why you feel entitled (or the need) to have an alternative opinion on what I've expressed as MY lived experience is beyond me, but also beyond the reach of my care factor.

I've not known you to be a twat in your posting before, but the fact that you're being a twat here leads me to believe you're a twat.
Good God man. I’m not sure if you are trying to be dumb or it just comes naturally!

All I have said is that your experience is not the same as mine. I don’t think you are lying, but your commenting of three out a small group contracting dengue suggests that it is major concern for foreigners which I don’t think is true. I disagreed, not with your facts but the implication/opinion that it is common.
Can’t you just read what I have written?!?

OP. Don’t come, you’ll die from the Dengue - if the beef doesn’t kill you first.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Or just don't befriend stroppy... seems it could be bad for your health.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

IraHayes wrote:Or just don't befriend stroppy... seems it could be bad for your health.
Maybe so.

Perhaps the mosquitos have nested in the beard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic