Exam Results Out: 66% Pass Cambodia's Grade 12 Examination

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Exam Results Out: 66% Pass Cambodia's Grade 12 Examination

Post by taabarang »

Now to the point of your questions. Year 12 certificates are given to everyone who attends year 12 - regardless of grades, and including fails. This is not uncommon, it's just an attendance and grades sheet. Passing or failing is a secondary concern. If you do well, you can enter a bachelor program at university. If you don't, you do a bridging program for a year (for a set of fees) and then enter a bachelor program at university. "

Stroppy much of what you say is spot on, however there are some minor points I take issue with. I prefer to do it in person. Please pm me your phone number and I'll be in touch. Cheers, taa
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

As with today's stunners in the big house who wear Chinese made rose coloured ones............... =@
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:45 am
The Labour Ministry yesterday encouraged students who failed the national exam to apply for scholarships ...
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50534036/o ... -students/

Only in Cambodia
Not only here. Did you read the article? It's about vocational and technical training.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:12 pm
The Labour Ministry yesterday encouraged students who failed the national exam to apply for scholarships ...

Only in Cambodia
... Did you read the article? It's about vocational and technical training.
Yes. It's obviously better for all these people who failed the high school finals to become hairdressers, chefs, and motor mechanics rather than going to medical school and becoming doctors. Leave that for the students who at least got an 'E' grade. But the idea of rewarding students, who in most cases failed due to laziness rather than a lack of intelligence or ability, seems absurd. At least make them pay for their vocational and technical training. If they can't afford that, there is always the garment factory or motodopping.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

prahocalypse now wrote:

Only in Cambodia
Yes. It's obviously better for all these people who failed the high school finals to become hairdressers, chefs, and motor mechanics rather than going to medical school and becoming doctors. Leave that for the students who at least got an 'E' grade. But the idea of rewarding students, who in most cases failed due to laziness rather than a lack of intelligence or ability, seems absurd. At least make them pay for their vocational and technical training. If they can't afford that, there is always the garment factory or motodopping.
You do realise that only around 30% of kids who start school even make it to grade 12. Whether they pass or fail they are still likely amongst the best educated in the country at that age. And the national exams aren’t exactly a wonderful barometer in discriminating student ability. I am convinced the marking process is riddled with errors - the MoE have admitted that they accidentally gave zero marks to a stack of maths papers. Most likely only noticed because a maths gold medal winner received an F grade.
Yeah, some will be lazy but in my eyes the process, whilst improving, is still far from a fair assessment.

Your plan is going to leave the country with a hell of a lot of motodop drivers.

prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 pm
prahocalypse now wrote:

Your plan is going to leave the country with a hell of a lot of motodop drivers.
Not really. When the surplus of motodops becomes too high, and there isn't enough work for all of them to make a living, they'll begin dying of starvation.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 pm
prahocalypse now wrote:

Not really. When the surplus of motodops becomes too high, and there isn't enough work for all of them to make a living, they'll begin dying of starvation.

Why would they not graduate up to bag snatching for a living.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

prahocalypse now wrote:
prahocalypse now wrote:

Apologies. You have though this through.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:57 pm *
Now to the point of your questions. Year 12 certificates are given to everyone who attends year 12 - regardless of grades, and including fails. This is not uncommon, it's just an attendance and grades sheet. Passing or failing is a secondary concern. If you do well, you can enter a bachelor program at university. If you don't, you do a bridging program for a year (for a set of fees) and then enter a bachelor program at university. "

Stroppy much of what you say is spot on, however there are some minor points I take issue with. I prefer to do it in person. Please pm me your phone number and I'll be in touch. Cheers, taa
Let's catch up for a drink when you're next in the city, Taa.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

prahocalypse now wrote:

Only in Cambodia
In the western world, mechanics, plumbers, and construction workers are paid quite well. The big complaint is that there aren’t enough vocational workers to fill demand.

I didn’t realize that Khmer who fail high school finals are a shoo-in for medical school in the KOW.

Guess it’s just another difference between Cambodia and the West.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic