Exam Results Out: 66% Pass Cambodia's Grade 12 Examination

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Exam Results Out: 66% Pass Cambodia's Grade 12 Examination

Post by StroppyChops »

epidemiks wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 pm Correct, but they don't get straight into the bachelor program. This is commonly used for the many adults who didn't complete grade 4, let alone grade 12, and are not able to go back to high school as an adult.

Instead they do a year at university focusing on the core final year high school subjects, sit the exam again. If they pass they can enter their bachelor program. If they fail again they will need to do a second pre-bachelor year, and can then continue on to the 4 year bachelor of "look I'm a manager" whether they pass or fail afaik.
Makes sense. Bridging courses, by any other name.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

In Cambodia they abuse the word 'associate degree' for these courses.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Duncan wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:17 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 am
Duncan wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:28 pm In the end, it does not matter how high your marks are,, if that student is lazy in life and has no get up and go in them. I have known people who were totally hopeless at school work, didn't sit exams and left when the reached the age of fifteen..... Yes, I am one of them...... Most of the rubbish they try to put in your head at school means nothing to you in your real life . If you are capable of organizing your life and money, and put in a bit of hard work you can still make a success of your life even if you are a dummy at school.
Now go count the millionaires and other successful people in this world that had no education.
Now go count the unskilled workers in factories and on the fields, and relate them to the amount of self made millionaires and do the math.

While the knowledge you learn in school might be of no use at all (or at least seems to be of no use at all) the fact you absorb that knowledge, structure it, relate it to other knowledge, etc etc, creates structures in your brain you will use the rest of your life.

I can agree with your second part,, however your first statement,,,
Now go count the unskilled workers in factories and on the fields, and relate them to the amount of self made millionaires and do the math.

goes to prove my point ,,, most people are too lazy and too unorganized in their life to make their life better and end up as just another cog in the wheel.
Fair enough, but I wouldn't consider people working in the fields or in a factory in Cambodia people 'too lazy and too unorganized in their life to make their life better'. Maybe some are, but my guess is most were raised in pitiful conditions and have very little options because they have a toolbox containing nearly zero skills.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:47 pm
Luigi wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm WTF is an E grade? My better than average public schooling used A,B,C,D,F as in failed?
Is an E grade just following the alphabet but still means you have failed? :popcorn:
E is an exceptional rating in Cambodia which makes an upgrade to a D (or more) possible if the right monetary deposit is made at the right place.
Where are you getting that from? The reason so few passed in recent years is that the whole final exam process was centralized by the MOEYS. You can't bribe your teacher for high grades anymore because your teacher isn't writing or marking the exam. It's a lot harder to cheat now too. So I'm not saying it's impossible, it just seems highly unlikely.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:47 pm
Luigi wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm WTF is an E grade? My better than average public schooling used A,B,C,D,F as in failed?
Is an E grade just following the alphabet but still means you have failed? :popcorn:
E is an exceptional rating in Cambodia which makes an upgrade to a D (or more) possible if the right monetary deposit is made at the right place.
Where are you getting that from? The reason so few passed in recent years is that the whole final exam process was centralized by the MOEYS. You can't bribe your teacher for high grades anymore because your teacher isn't writing or marking the exam. It's a lot harder to cheat now too. So I'm not saying it's impossible, it just seems highly unlikely.
Irony, irony....

My reply was partly ironic (E for Exception[al]), but still contains some truth.

Yes, it's much more difficult now than it was before to change grades, it involves more people to change the 'E'. So the price went up. Most won't be able to afford it. Still possible though. The 50$ days are over, at least ten times that amount is needed now, depending on who, where, what....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Students question mathematics examination results.

Students say exam results do not add up
11 September 2018
Nearly 100 students gathered at the Education Ministry yesterday to protest the results of the national exam, particularly their results in mathematics.

Chhay Ly An, a high school student who sat for the exam, said yesterday that he failed the mathematics subject and he could not accept the result.

Mr Ly An, a gold medallist at the Singapore International Mathematics Olympics in 2017, said that he was shocked to hear he failed the subject.
“Something weird happened for some of the students,” he said. “The Education Ministry must be responsible for this and take action in order to provide some fairness for us.”

Ou Pisey, another student at the protest, said yesterday that she had studied very hard in preparation for the national exam last month. Ms Pisey said that she was also shocked to hear that she failed mathematics.

“I’m confident in myself, I know I did not fail. I did not neglect mathematics. I studied hard and I didn’t cheat during the exam,” she said. “I answered all of the questions and I checked and rechecked my answers. I’m right. Why did the result come out like this?”

Education Ministry spokesman Ros Salin could not be reached for comment yesterday. The protesting students offered no evidence of why their marks could be wrong. Ly Soug, another student at the protest yesterday, said that a complaint has already been filed at the ministry.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50532407/s ... ot-add-up/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
B.Barang
Tourist

Post by B.Barang »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:BREAKING NEWS: 66% Pass Cambodia's Grade 12 Examination
09/09/18 17:26
Phnom Penh (FN), Sept. 9 - At least 75,059 Cambodian Grade 12 students passed the National Examination 2018 (Bacc II), an equivalent to 66.% compared to 63.8% in 2017, according to Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sports' press release on Sunday.

Among the 115,268 examinees, 58,158 female, at least 290 got "A" grade; 1,532 "B"; 4,631 "C"; 13,999 "D"; and 54,607 "E".

Unfortunately, 17 failed automatically for breaking exam rules.

Detailed result announcement of Phnom Penh and Kandal will be announced Sunday afternoon and other provinces tomorrow.
=FRESH NEWS
I got 93+= C grade in 2010, almost no one got grade A at that time! But it was very tragic that almost all of the students in my high school failed Chemistry subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

epidemiks wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 pm
StroppyChops wrote:Mrs Stroppy and I are delighted that the enterprise team members who sat their Year 12 all passed - not stunningly, but they passed.

Well done. Wife's niece #234 failed largely , though her own laziness, and her parent's lack of interest in getting her an education.

When looking at University options for them, we found that almost all Cambodian universities require a Year 12 certificate as an entrance requirement - BUT THE STUDENT DIDN'T HAVE TO PASS! Most of the uni web pages actually state "pass or fail grade not important" or some variation.

Correct, but they don't get straight into the bachelor program. This is commonly used for the many adults who didn't complete grade 4, let alone grade 12, and are not able to go back to high school as an adult.

Instead they do a year at university focusing on the core final year high school subjects, sit the exam again. If they pass they can enter their bachelor program. If they fail again they will need to do a second pre-bachelor year, and can then continue on to the 4 year bachelor of "look I'm a manager" whether they pass or fail afaik.
Now I am more confused than ever. Prolly due to my P.S.13 education.
Here are my issues;

''Cambodian universities require a Year 12 certificate as an entrance requirement - BUT THE STUDENT DIDN'T HAVE TO PASS!

So... how do you get a 12 year cert. if yoiu did not pass the previous 11?

''they do a year at university focusing on the core final year high school subjects, sit the exam again. If they pass they can enter their bachelor program.

How did they get to set for university exams if they failed to complete final grade 12? ?? Is it just the $?

Maybe it's the word ''University'' that I'm hung up on.
For instance, I would never be able to set for ''University'' exams without a transcripts.
Even community colleges have some qualifications. Or not?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Students question mathematics examination results.

Students say exam results do not add up
11 September 2018
Nearly 100 students gathered at the Education Ministry yesterday to protest the results of the national exam, particularly their results in mathematics.

Chhay Ly An, a high school student who sat for the exam, said yesterday that he failed the mathematics subject and he could not accept the result.

Mr Ly An, a gold medallist at the Singapore International Mathematics Olympics in 2017, said that he was shocked to hear he failed the subject.
“Something weird happened for some of the students,” he said. “The Education Ministry must be responsible for this and take action in order to provide some fairness for us.”

Ou Pisey, another student at the protest, said yesterday that she had studied very hard in preparation for the national exam last month. Ms Pisey said that she was also shocked to hear that she failed mathematics.

“I’m confident in myself, I know I did not fail. I did not neglect mathematics. I studied hard and I didn’t cheat during the exam,” she said. “I answered all of the questions and I checked and rechecked my answers. I’m right. Why did the result come out like this?”

Education Ministry spokesman Ros Salin could not be reached for comment yesterday. The protesting students offered no evidence of why their marks could be wrong. Ly Soug, another student at the protest yesterday, said that a complaint has already been filed at the ministry.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50532407/s ... ot-add-up/
But sir, I did pass, 110% for sure.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Most of the main arguments in these discussions are moot util such time as Khmers on the whole start to understand the value of education and take personal responsibility for their own progress.

You can whine about the Chinese or Vietnamese wrt many things, but they understand these things.

'Nuff babysitting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic