British protocol for greeting queen's granddaughter

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: British protocol for greeting queen's granddaughter

Post by TOG »

This is the order of protocol...

Here's the order as mandated by the Queen:
1. The Queen
2. Kate Middleton (unless she is without William, which will knock her down to #6 just ahead of Camilla)
3. Princess Anne
4. Princess Beatrice
5. Princess Eugenie
6. Princess Alexandra
7. Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla)
8. Countess of Wessex (Sophie, wife of Prince Edward)
9. Lady Louise Windsor (Sophie and Edward's daughter)
10. Zara Phillips (Princess Anne's daughter)

On introduction it is.......................Curtsy ( or bow for a male...
Good Queen Bess is addressed as "Your Majesty" (pompous)
Kate down to Princess Alexandra is "Your Royal Highness"
Camilla Porker is simply "You old hag"
Nos 9 & 10 are simply "Ma'am"

All of them after introduction are simply Ma'am.

Hope this helps
Last edited by TOG on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Dabday
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Dabday »

Anyone else have a little bit of puke rise up to the lower part of their throat when thinking about having to meet anyone from the British royal family?

For me the question reads the same as 'Chairman Mao is coming and you need say special to him'.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Are they building a $40,000 toilet for British princess for the special occasion?

Or is that kind of extravagance only for fat Thai royal vagitarians and NKOTB?
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Dabday wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:53 pm Anyone else have a little bit of puke rise up to the lower part of their throat when thinking about having to meet anyone from the British royal family?

For me the question read the same as 'Chairmain Mao is coming and you need say special to him'.
I have twice refused to be introduced to the Queens children (Prince Charles and Princess Anne) on the grounds that I have no respect for either of them and that as Royals they should set an example and earn our respect. A good long beer drinking story with respect to the Colonel in Chief of the Royal Corps of Signals.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 pm Are they building a $40,000 toilet for British princess for the special occasion?

Or is that kind of extravagance only for fat Thai royal vagitarians and NKOTB?
You may have posted this tongue in cheek but that actually happened back in 1974 with Princes Anne.

She was presenting the prizes at the annual Royal Signals athletics event, "The Morrison Cup" and a special £10,000 4 ton lorry was kitted out as a luxury toilet and changing room for her.

Makes you want to puke,....Tax payers money. She could have gone behind a bush like the other wives were expected to do. :roll:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

So, if I have followed this correctly, then a granddaughter should be addressed as Princess+name and afterwards as m'am.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

taabarang wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:44 pm So, if I have followed this correctly, then a granddaughter should be addressed as Princess+name and afterwards as m'am.
No....A Princess is curtsy'd to followed by addressing as "Your Royal Highness". Then after that as Ma'am. The title of Princess is only used in correspondence etc. and not when talking to. She will be introduced as Princess "whatever" but that is just to make sure us commoners know our place.

Good luck and I applaud your attention to protocol and culture even if I myself would not do it. :Bravo:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thank you very much for further elaboration. My question remains tho, is a granddaughter really considered a princess. Iwant my daughter to respect decorum and reflect well upon her family and especially her new school.

I didn't realize Brits or at least some of them entertain a disdain for royalty that is comparable to that of mine for Trump. I guess the expression "royal pain in the ass" must be as old as the hills.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

The most appropriate way to greet them would be to greet them politely the same as you would to any other human who you meet for the first time.

No need to lower yourself to a lesser being.
Last edited by hburns on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

taabarang wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:23 pm Thank you very much for further elaboration. My question remains tho, is a granddaughter really considered a princess. Iwant my daughter to respect decorum and reflect well upon her family and especially her new school.

I didn't realize Brits or at least some of them entertain a disdain for royalty that is comparable to that of mine for Trump. I guess the expression "royal pain in the ass" must be as old as the hills.
Yes, a granddaughter is a full princess if she is of the blood line. This normally follows the male line. There are exception but not in your case. It all depends on which granddaughter is visiting. As she visited Cambodia in her gap year and was mugged in 2009, it will probably be that freeloader Euginie, probably coming back to sort out the guy who mugged her.

As Princess Anne married commoners, her daughter is not a blood princess and as such is just a Ma'am.

As far as disdain for Royalty, that only applies to the adulterous members of the family or the freeloaders and hangers on. I think that about covers all of the Royals. William and Kate being among the lesser freeloaders.

Re Trump...You should always ask yourself the question. What would have happened if Trump lost. Answer. America would be well and truly screwed by Hilary Clinton. You got the lesser of two evils. Same as us. No decent politicians anywhere. All snout in the rough, freeloading, self opinionated blowhards.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic