Electricity Price - Normal to Charge Profit?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Dabday
Expatriate
Canada

Electricity Price - Normal to Charge Profit?

Post by Dabday »

I just found out that my new landlord (khmer + barang euro duo) is charging me .30 kwh on electric. Of course I was shocked at the 1st month bill. I asked what she is paying and she (khmer) said .19 kwh. I was like WTF? Adding profit on a utility? Huh??

Our other friends are paying .12-.15 kwh and get a pic of the meter each month. Us no pic, + 35% profit!

We found this place using realestate.com.kh. I told the agent this is the first time i have ever seen a profit added on a utility and it seemed like a scam (the place is very nice by PP standards, but it is already 1k a month). He seemed pissed and said it is 100% normal to add a profit on electric and in fact, at realestate.com.kh every single property they have all do it and the minimum price he has ever seen is .25 kwh.

Is that a markup just to pay the agent fees? Is that seriously normal?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Electricity Price - Normal to Charge Profit?

Post by Username Taken »

It's not unusual, but I think it is now illegal.

Your house/apartment should have its own meter, and the bill should come from EDC directly to you.
Just one of those little things that you need to check before renting.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:49 pm It's not unusual, but I think it is now illegal.

Your house/apartment should have its own meter, and the bill should come from EDC directly to you.
Just one of those little things that you need to check before renting.
^ This. It is illegal to charge tenants above the property's official EDC rate...unless you are renting in a condo-type place with communal amenities such as a swimming pool, elevator, etc.

This is something you should always check prior to signing a lease. :facepalm:
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

In Kep we don't have EDC but we also pay 770 riel or 0,19$ kwh here, so that seems to be the standard price. Anything on top will be added by your landlord, which is common practice here (don't know about the legality of it all). But indeed, check these things before you sign anything in the future!
just noise, white noise
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Forgot to add...although it is illegal there's fuck all you can really do about it apart from coming to an agreement with your landlord.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:13 pm Forgot to add...although it is illegal there's fuck all you can really do about it apart from coming to an agreement with your landlord.
Not true.

Find another place and report them to EDC. In that order.

https://opendevelopmentcambodia.net/pro ... customers/
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I think one needs to assess the situation holistically. I pay 1200 riel per unit. I challenged it before taking the lease but the landlady would not budge. I could see that the rental figure was on the low side and so I decided to accept it on the basis that it would be OK if I did not use the aircon or hot water a lot. The fridge was new and had a good economy rating.

I have been in the property for four years now and the electric bill averages $35 per month (I don't use gas). At one time, the guys in the adjacent apartment were using their aircon a lot and were paying $150 per month for electric. Interestingly, the landlady was complaining that she was losing money on the electric due to their high usage.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

If she overcharges, how could she possibly lose money?

The overcharge is constant, so increased usage plus overcharge is good news for her.

How much thalidomide had her mother taken?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

get used to it, welcome to KoW
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 pm I think one needs to assess the situation holistically. I pay 1200 riel per unit. I challenged it before taking the lease but the landlady would not budge. I could see that the rental figure was on the low side and so I decided to accept it on the basis that it would be OK if I did not use the aircon or hot water a lot. The fridge was new and had a good economy rating.

I have been in the property for four years now and the electric bill averages $35 per month (I don't use gas). At one time, the guys in the adjacent apartment were using their aircon a lot and were paying $150 per month for electric. Interestingly, the landlady was complaining that she was losing money on the electric due to their high usage.
She might be correct. The price is progressive and if you use over a certain amount the price for every KWh used in that month goes up. She probable has only one connection with the EDC, and has put her own meters behind it, so if all tenants blast their AC's at level ten....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic