Electricity Price - Normal to Charge Profit?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Electricity Price - Normal to Charge Profit?

Post by Luigi »

FWIW countryside Kpot we pay 720 riel per KWH. $25.pm tops. All LED lighting + 2 conduction cook tops + 1200 watt micro +oven + inverter fridge +3-4 hot showers everyday + ceiling fans + 2 computers + LCD TV. No A/C. Yet.
Can't complain. USA never saw less than $100pm.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

You guys are getting charged lots way out there in the city...
500 real here.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

BEFORE you sign a lease,make sure the electricity is stated at EDC rate

If not, it should ring alarm bells about the landlord

How do you know they won't shaft you with the water or steal stuff?

They know it's illegal

Move on
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

that genius wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:25 am BEFORE you sign a lease,make sure the electricity is stated at EDC rate

If not, it should ring alarm bells about the landlord

How do you know they won't shaft you with the water or steal stuff?

They know it's illegal

Move on
As I posted already,I am very pleased I did not walk away from my place.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

It can get complicated. In my case, one family member gets the rent money, and does no work. Another family member gets the money in for the electric etc and pays the bills and does all the management. So the second one is happy to offer a low rent but she wants to make some money on the bills.
Erina
Tourist
Japan

Post by Erina »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:49 pm It's not unusual, but I think it is now illegal.

Your house/apartment should have its own meter, and the bill should come from EDC directly to you.
Just one of those little things that you need to check before renting.
How about landlord charge 400$ / month, we just use 1 Ac, make hot water for coffee in the morning, washing and dryer, no cook, hot water for shower not really hot, no watching tv,and refrige
Can we go to EDC make complaint?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic