Bible Camps for Cambodian Kids: Weird or Not ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Bible Camps for Cambodian Kids: Weird or Not ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

My first reflex on reading this article was :o , why are American Evangelists taking Cambodian (Buddhist) kids on a Bible Camp ? And what's with " preparing these kids to change Cambodia for Christ" ?
Despite the good work that a number of Christian charities do in Cambodia, when I read about some of these "faith-based" organizations that are pushing their ideology of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit on deprived Cambodian kids, I feel that they are exploiting Cambodia's misery.
Maybe I'm over-reacting because I'm not a fan of religion or of missionaries, but I definitely wonder about the good vs harm that these people really do to the kids in guise of "saving" them. Taking under-privileged kids to the seaside is definitely a good thing to do :thumb: , but subjecting them to Bible Classes in exchange ? :evil: Not so good IMO.
Does the good outweigh the not so good here, or not ?

Local and international churches partnered with an Oakmont organization to help Cambodian kids
Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018, 9:18 p.m.
A Christian faith-based organization in Oakmont and three area churches recently teamed up with a few international churches to offer a kids camp in Cambodia.

South East Asia Prayer Center along Fifth Street in the borough has offered the camp through its Raising Kids program every two years in different parts of the country since 2006.

More than 450 children living in the organization’s New Hope for Orphans children’s homes participated last month. Camp is funded through donations.

“From the US, we sponsor and support all the activities,” SEAPC President Matt Geppert said. “For them, it’s the highlight of their year. They absolutely love it. It’s amazing to watch it all come together.”

This year, SEAPC partnered with New Life Christian Ministries in Saxonburg, West Ridge Christian Community in Coraopolis and Northway Christian Community in Wexford, along with churches from Canada, Britain, Singapore, Los Angeles and Hong Kong to make this year’s camp bigger than before.

Individuals from all the churches traveled to Sihanoukville, Cambodia to help staff the three-day vacation Bible school.

“I am amazed at how little they have but how much they give,” said the Rev. John Goeggel of Westridge Christian Community. “The New Hope homes/camp are meeting so much more than just the kid’s needs — they are giving the abundant life Jesus promised and preparing these kids to change Cambodia for Christ.”

Children were treated to a beachside location where they had Bible teachings, made crafts, participated in group activities and enjoyed the ocean, SEAPC Raising Kids Director Tina Tomes said.

“It’s a time of food, fellowship and fun for them,” said Tomes. “They see that it’s not just them and the kids that they live with (in the homes). It helps them realize that they’re not alone and there are many others like them who have hope because of Jesus. The fact that international people come and help shows that there are people who love them and care about what happens to them, even from halfway around the world.”

Parents were given some training and creative suggestions during the camp on how to become more economically self-sustaining and enhance how they serve the children on a daily basis.

“A highlight of the trip was spending time with the kids, both at their home and at Kid’s Camp,” said New Life missions coordinator Sally Scully. “Their joy is infectious and overwhelming, and the love they show is a true testament to the work of the Holy Spirit.”

https://triblive.com/local/plum/1405493 ... -cambodian
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Bible Camps for Cambodian Kids: Weird or Not ?

Post by Barang chgout »

They have hope......because of Jesus.
ROFL.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Personally I don't think it's weird, it's much worse. Helping the poorest of the poor in Cambodia, and then asking for something return, is just plain evil. These people are not in the position to turn down free education or a 50 kg bag of rice, so they have no choice other than engage in this abusive relationship with Christian NGOs.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

whats new? been happening for millenia

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:13 am Personally I don't think it's weird, it's much worse. Helping the poorest of the poor in Cambodia, and then asking for something return, is just plain evil. These people are not in the position to turn down free education or a 50 kg bag of rice, so they have no choice other than engage in this abusive relationship with Christian NGOs.
And at the other end of the scrap heap, if there was a drunken barang bum who was just as poor as those kid , do you think he would turn down free beer and rice from these Christians as they tried to brainwash him with their teachings ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

These Christ bloke had better watch it. He might end up in a remote prison on the Vietnamese border.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

All the locals need to do is politely listen to all their teachings on Christ. They aren’t being told to convert or die. The organizations are offering what amounts to free daycare, education, and meals. What the Khmer chose to think afterwards is up to them.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 am All the locals need to do is politely listen to all their teachings on Christ. They aren’t being told to convert or die. The organizations are offering what amounts to free daycare, education, and meals. What the Khmer chose to think afterwards is up to them.
You ever talked to locals attending?

Guess not.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus took English lessons for years from a Christian school run by Singaporeans. Got food, got education, made friends. Never converted.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I think some of the richer wats should dig into their massive coffers and spread.the word of Buddha to the disadvantaged poor and spiritually deprived youth of the US and Europe. They could feed them prahok and teach them the flip flop kicking game and maybe distribute some used cellphones so they can contact their higher powers on Facebook. A little reciprocity would go a long way.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic