Reptile Cafe in Phnom Penh - Having Tea with a Snake

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Reptile Cafe in Phnom Penh - Having Tea with a Snake

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia's First Reptile-themed Cafe Slithers into People's Hearts
As customers sip on their lattes and hang out with the reptiles, "they will love them like I do," the 32-year-old told AFP while stroking the scaly neck wattle of an iguana.
AFPUpdated:September 6, 2018, 10:56 AM IST

Phnom Penh, Cambodia: For anyone terrified of an albino python, an orange corn snake or a scaly, bearded iguana, Chea Raty says getting up close and personal at Phnom Penh's first reptile-themed cafe is the only remedy.

Taking off from the cat cafes already popular in the Cambodian capital, Chea Raty launched his business to revamp the skin-crawling reputation of lizards and snakes and convince haters that they are simply misunderstood.

As customers sip on their lattes and hang out with the reptiles, "they will love them like I do," the 32-year-old told AFP while stroking the scaly neck wattle of an iguana.

The walls of his cafe are lined with lit-up glass tanks containing snakes of various lengths and colours, while a bright macaw screeches in the corner.

Some visitors look hesitantly at the cages, others are bolder in their embrace of the creatures.

There's no entry fee, so visitors can order a coffee and request a sit-down with a serpentine friend from one of the tanks.
https://www.news18.com/news/world/cambo ... 69355.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Reptile Cafe in Phnom Penh - Having Tea with a Snake

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Find Reptile Café in Phnom Penh by turning off Street 167, between Street 450 and Street 173. Contact the staff via the venue’s Facebook page .
(Photo by TANG CHHIN Sothy / AFP)
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

That place has been open for a few years...it actually used to be a pet shop selling reptiles, snakes and exotic birds, but I think they had some pressure put on them by an NGO, so they turned it into a café. Great place to take kids.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm That place has been open for a few years...it actually used to be a pet shop selling reptiles, snakes and exotic birds, but I think they had some pressure put on them by an NGO, so they turned it into a café. Great place to take kids.

But would you put them in the cage with the snakes or the exotic birds.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Duncan wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:29 pm But would you put them in the cage with the snakes or the exotic birds.
What cage?

angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm That place has been open for a few years...it actually used to be a pet shop selling reptiles, snakes and exotic birds, but I think they had some pressure put on them by an NGO, so they turned it into a café. Great place to take kids.
isn't there also "zoo cafe" on 432's - got monkeys and rabbits etc running around while you sip a coffee. Keep meaning to take the nephews. Anyone been?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50506073/the-zoo-cafe/
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

I'd like to check this place out as I like reptiles.

angkorjohn wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm
isn't there also "zoo cafe" on 432's - got monkeys and rabbits etc running around while you sip a coffee. Keep meaning to take the nephews. Anyone been?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50506073/the-zoo-cafe/
Sounds cool
Last edited by bvanfossen on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

There's a 178 cafe where punters pet a different type of pussy.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

fax wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:08 pm There's a 178 cafe where punters pet a different type of pussy.
Best zoo used to be GSM in it's hey day, or Walkabout :beer2:
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

angkorjohn wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:18 pm Best zoo used to be GSM in it's hey day, or Walkabout :beer2:
I mean the boring hairy pussy crazy people like https://www.foodbuzz.site/en/chhma-cat-cafe-phnom-penh/

and unicorn cafe (no live unicorns) https://www.foodbuzz.site/en/unicorn-emperium/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic