Cambodian words with no English equivalent

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodian words with no English equivalent

Post by explorer »

Jamie

Going by the examples you have given here and other places, there are many words that you and I clearly pronounce differently. No doubt, there are some we pronounce similarly.

I would say that neither of us have perfect pronunciation, but we both do the best we can.

The solution is to ask Cambodians for the pronunciation.

You say it is written one way and pronounced another way. Why not just write it the way it is pronounced?

Neither of us is right and neither of us is wrong. You just do it the way you think is best, and I will do it the way I think is best. However, you clearly pronounce many words quite differently from me. So it is worth asking, how does a person get the best pronunciation?

It is very very difficult to come up with a standard way of writing Khmer words with English letters for many reasons. Its a case of do the best you can. So refer to the Khmer spelling. But then you and I are pronouncing some Khmer letters differently. So ask Cambodians.

No doubt, we will both improve in time.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

explorer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:45 pm Jamie

Going by the examples you have given here and other places, there are many words that you and I clearly pronounce differently. No doubt, there are some we pronounce similarly.

I would say that neither of us have perfect pronunciation, but we both do the best we can.

You say it is written one way and pronounced another way. Why not just write it the way it is pronounced?

Neither of us is right and neither of us is wrong. You just do it the way you think is best, and I will do it the way I think is best. However, you clearly pronounce many words quite differently from me. So it is worth asking, how does a person get the best pronunciation?

It is very very difficult to come up with a standard way of writing Khmer words with English letters for many reasons. Its a case of do the best you can. So refer to the Khmer spelling. But then you and I are pronouncing some Khmer letters differently. So ask Cambodians.

Thanks for the tips kid. No word leaves my mouth in finality until it is approved by my Khmer wife with regional variants included. Here's a clue from what you previously proffered. You aren't hearing all the sounds, especially unaspirated consonants.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:09 pm It's vestige of the French system of rendering Khmer language into French.

Chh=the CH sound as in Chuck while the Ch=juh as in jam.
Good explanation.

I think from now on I will pronounce them as you suggest. Chh=the CH sound as in Chuck while the Ch=juh as in jam.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:45 pm Jamie

But then you and I are pronouncing some Khmer letters differently.
really? in what way? do you have an example to which we can discuss?
because you cant? even you know that you cant write Khmer correctly into English, if i write Khmer i will write in Khmer script or in rarer cases i'll just write it the simplified Khmer way
which is fine if you cant read and can hear all the sounds they say
if i hear a word that i dont know, or want to know the Khmer word for something, i will ask them to write it down, to be sure of the pronunciation

How literate are you in Khmer? if you are literate in Khmer there is no need to write Khmer words into English, you dont need to write Khmer using English letters, you can leave the English behind and start to advance in your Khmer reading and Khmer pronunciation, as i said, sticking with the English it will only hold you back
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

Explorer...So it is worth asking, how does a person get the best pronunciation?

Learn Khmer script.
It really pays dividends.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:15 pm
explorer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:45 pm But then you and I are pronouncing some Khmer letters differently.
The example we have already discussed is words where you use ch and I use j.

If you genuinely believe you are pronouncing these correctly, then dont be concerned.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

bobsboots wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:18 pm Explorer...So it is worth asking, how does a person get the best pronunciation?

Learn Khmer script.
It really pays dividends.
I agree
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:38 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:15 pm
explorer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:45 pm But then you and I are pronouncing some Khmer letters differently.
The example we have already discussed is words where you use ch and I use j.

If you genuinely believe you are pronouncing these correctly, then dont be concerned.
yeah i use J and Ch interchangeably, depending on the word and the placement of the consonant in the word,
words like Jol Jet, Jivit etc im more likely to use a J, other words like Chhue Chab, Chenda, Chivas im more likely to use a Ch
but when the word ends in the J consonant, you cant write a J you have to write the Ch, as it has the K sound as in Stomach, ive already given you examples of these words ie. Pich/Touch etc

you hold on to the English alphabet/sounds too much mate, if you do, it will really hold back you pronunciation
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:28 am but when the word ends in the J consonant, you cant write a J you have to write the Ch, as it has the K sound as in Stomach, ive already given you examples of these words
I pronounce many of these words differently to you also.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:43 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:28 am but when the word ends in the J consonant, you cant write a J you have to write the Ch, as it has the K sound as in Stomach, ive already given you examples of these words
I pronounce many of these words differently to you also.
in what way? give examples so i can see where you are coming from, and ill see if i can help mate

going off the examples i gave, how would you write/pronounce...

ពេជ្រ
មុជទឹក
បន្ដិច
តូច
ដូច

also how about these words...

ស្អប់
ធុញ
ភក្តី
លះ

it doesnt matter if you know what the words mean or not, and try to answer them honestly without looking at a dictionary, im interested to see how differently you would write and pronounce them mate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic