Cambodian words with no English equivalent

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian words with no English equivalent

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:04 pm So if I understand correctly, the French wrote the English sound j as ch, and wrote ch as chh.

That has been copied and used ever since.

Why not write it the way we pronounce letters in English? Because you just copy?

Some people may understand the French sounds and pronounce Khmer well. Others may not, and speak Khmer badly.
the words arent English so why would we write it in an English way?

the Ch and the Chh consonants dont sound the same so why would you write Chh the same as Ch
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cambodian wtheords with no English equivalent

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:50 pm In all honesty Taa, it's my opinion that those who feel compelled to avail themselves of the 'ignore' function on this website, suffer from some sort of undiagnosed personality defect.

I would consider it a personal failing if I used it.
There was a time I would read every single post on CEO (which other posters delighted in testing, just to see if I was still doing it) but CEO grew into a much larger beast.

I personally don't have the time in my day to read through the verbal diarrhea that some posters incessantly spray as they attention-whore, and to be honest putting just four individuals on my Ignore list has removed around 80% of the crap that I wouldn't otherwise bother to read, but still have to scroll through. It doesn't bother me that you see that as a personal failing or a personality defect.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

that genius wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:30 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:28 pm "Don't you have a fight you have to be in?"

Not really, why are you looking for one again?
You missed a comma. 8-)
Actually his original is correct, depending on his intent.

Not really, why, are you looking for one? vs Not really, why are you looking for one? <- both correct, different intents.

/GrammarNazi
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:40 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:44 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:22 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:57 pm I was told there is no Khmer word for mirror, they just use the word for glass ...which is why the bathroom cabinet I got made had clear glass in the door instead of a mirror. Is this right?
I believe not. The word for mirror is kanhjok, while keov is used either for a drinking glass or anything made of glass.
A pane of glass is also kanhjok.
Interesting. Since I nor damn few villagers have glass panes in their windows or doors, I never used nor heard the word used in that context. In any case there are two words and if you want a mirror on a door you better use the right one.
@timmydownawell
the word for "Mirror" is កញ្ចក់ឆ្លុះ - Kanhjok Chhlos - Basically means "reflective glass", while the words flipped ឆ្លុះកញ្ចក់ - Chhlos Kanhjok means to look at your reflection in the mirror :hattip:
How did you get so accomplished with the language? Time?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bvanfossen wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:40 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:44 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:22 pm

I believe not. The word for mirror is kanhjok, while keov is used either for a drinking glass or anything made of glass.
A pane of glass is also kanhjok.
Interesting. Since I nor damn few villagers have glass panes in their windows or doors, I never used nor heard the word used in that context. In any case there are two words and if you want a mirror on a door you better use the right one.
@timmydownawell
the word for "Mirror" is កញ្ចក់ឆ្លុះ - Kanhjok Chhlos - Basically means "reflective glass", while the words flipped ឆ្លុះកញ្ចក់ - Chhlos Kanhjok means to look at your reflection in the mirror :hattip:
How did you get so accomplished with the language? Time?
i did go to school for a while after i had been here a few years but yeah it takes time to start getting a true understanding of the language, even now im still learning, i do also have a passion for Khmer music so im always translating songs and thats my catalyst of a lot of my learning especially when im out the country,

i learnt about the above from a song actually...

បងជាប្រុសដែលឆ្លុះកញ្ចក់ ធ្មេចនេត្រាមិនមើលខ្លួនប្រាណ
Bong Jia Bros Dael Chhlos Kanhjok Tmech Netra Min Merl Kluan Bran
I am man who looks into the mirror, closing both eyes to not look at myself

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodian wtheords with no English equivalent

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:40 pm that I wouldn't otherwise bother to read, but still have to scroll through. It doesn't bother me that you see that as a personal failing or a personality defect.
Would there really be that much to scroll through? And anyway, don't you have to scroll through some kind of notifications anyway, anytime someone on your 'ignore' list has posted?

This is all just academic at this point, I'm of one opinion, you're of another...the main point is, is that you're not bothered that I see it as a personality failing/defect...and I gotta tell you that I was relieved to read that.

Carry on my wayward Stropp...there'll be peace with the ignore function...lay your weary head to rest! :thumb:

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm the Ch and the Chh consonants dont sound the same so why would you write Chh the same as Ch
I use J and Ch, the way they sound in English.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:51 pm i Latinise it in the same style as the Khmers write it, its not really written how it sounds its just the simple system i'm used to working with.
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm the words arent English so why would we write it in an English way?
People can use any system they like. If this works for you, good.

However, we know it comes from French, and letters are used the way the French pronounce them. To use this system well, people need to understand French pronunciation. People pronouncing these words the English way will speak Khmer badly.

When sharing with English speakers, I like to write them as near as I can to the way English speakers will pronounce them.

We know, there are many sounds in Khmer which cannot be written with English letters, or French letters. These are often just rough approximations. So, for pronunciation, ask a Cambodian.

I would also strongly encourage anyone learning Khmer to learn the Khmer alphabet. It does not mean you will pronounce everything perfectly, but you will learn in theory how to pronounce it.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Another word is gau.

This is used to describe when a foreigner is charged a higher price than a Cambodian.

There is the English price gouge, which is not used in the same situation, but has a similar meaning. This should help people remember the word. If you think of gouge and leave off the last two letters, you should remember the Cambodian word.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The word bauk normally means scam, or any situation where someone gets money by being dishonest. It can be used when people get money they would not get without being dishonest, or they get more money than they should. It can also be used when people dont pay what they owe.

There is another use of this word, bouk jet, which could be explained as scam the heart (Im sure someone will think of a better way to say it). This can be used when a man says and does what it takes to make a girl believe he is genuinely in love with her, when in reality he is just taking advantage of her. Girls also do this to men, particularly in Asia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic