Cambodia hotter than before

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia hotter than before

Post by Kammekor »

jmagic wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:59 am Cutting down trees may make for less shade, but not higher national temperatures. Also, old people like to complain about everything.
Wrong for Cambodia and any other (sub)tropical forest.

The evapotranspiration in a forest is much higher than in other areas (fields, urban areas), and it has both a local cooling effect and a regional cooling effect.

Of course, one tree hardly makes a difference apart from the shade it provides, but covering a large area with trees does.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:44 am
jmagic wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:59 am Cutting down trees may make for less shade, but not higher national temperatures. Also, old people like to complain about everything.

The evapotranspiration in a forest is much higher than in other areas (fields, urban areas), and it has both a local cooling effect and a regional cooling effect.

Of course, one tree hardly makes a difference apart from the shade it provides, but covering a large area with trees does.
Bogus information. If so, certainly you can provide actual data to back up your claim. And, "an old man told me so" doesn't count.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

jmagic wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Bogus information. If so, certainly you can provide actual data to back up your claim. And, "an old man told me so" doesn't count.
First thing that comes up with a google search.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/natur ... ather1.htm
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Today
ImageImage
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

A study done in the US for instance, confirming (sub)tropical forests have an overall cooling effect:

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Fores ... e_999.html

confirmed by another study in 2015:

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms7603
Tropical forests show strong daily cooling of −2.41±0.10 °C because of the consistent cooling during both day and night.
With lower albedo, forests absorb more shortwave radiation during daytime (positive shortwave anomalies ΔSW in Supplementary Fig. 3a), potentially leading to a warming effect. However, this net energy gain is offset by a greater latent heat loss via higher ET in forests (positive ΔET, Fig. 3b), resulting in a cooling effect.
Info about preventing (urban) heat islands by using trees:

https://www.epa.gov/heat-islands/using- ... at-islands
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:38 pm Today
ImageImage
i thought it was hotter than it has been for a while this weekend, it's seemed relatively cool for a few weeks.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

It only seems hotter because we've had a month or more of cooler weather. 34C is not unusual for September.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

I love these back up your claim posts, which I can understand. But when you say his is bogus can you back up your statement? Just playing devil's advocate
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Is Cambodia hotter? don't think so yet. Use to regulalry go into 40's in hor season. In fact as far as I can remmber over the last 10 years there has been a lot of variation. I seem to rmember 1 hot season that was only really hot for a couple of weeks and one where it seemd neverending, and bad rainy seasons and not so bad. wetaher is unpredictable because we dont really ubnderstand it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic