Certified copies of official documents.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: Certified copies of official documents.

Post by Equinix »

I'm going to hitch-hike on your topic.

I'm trying to get my daughter my nationality and my government asked for legalised originals and translations of her birth-certificate and the document stating the Marital status of the mother legalized by the MoFa.

I went to the MoFa about a month ago and the woman I spoke with at the MoFa wouldn't help me because I'm not married to the mother, instead she gave me a letter with the requirements for me to show intend to marry the mother.

Luckily I have a friend who works for HE's nephew and he got my daughters birth-certificate translated by the MoFA. I still need a legalized copy and the mothers Marital status document done.

Is it law that I need to be married or show intend to get married before they legalize any documents ? (I offered the woman money but she said, cannot)
I can ask HE's nephew again but he is really busy and I'm kind off in a hurry.
B.Barang
Tourist

Post by B.Barang »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
fax wrote:The Sangkat can provide stamped original birth certificate copies.
The Sangkat we live in currently or the one on the certificate?
Original stamps birth certificate should get from province where kid born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Certified copies of official documents.

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Equinix wrote:I'm going to hitch-hike on your topic.

I'm trying to get my daughter my nationality and my government asked for legalised originals and translations of her birth-certificate and the document stating the Marital status of the mother legalized by the MoFa.

I went to the MoFa about a month ago and the woman I spoke with at the MoFa wouldn't help me because I'm not married to the mother, instead she gave me a letter with the requirements for me to show intend to marry the mother.

Luckily I have a friend who works for HE's nephew and he got my daughters birth-certificate translated by the MoFA. I still need a legalized copy and the mothers Marital status document done.

Is it law that I need to be married or show intend to get married before they legalize any documents ? (I offered the woman money but she said, cannot)
No problem.

What nationality are you?

I did not need to prove anything about marriage on the forms for my kids passports / citizenship. We are legally married in Cambodia (although this is it recognized in NZ as I never registered it there) so that would have been no issue anyway.

Basically all she had was a one paragraph stating her name and age and her signature. They didn’t even want a copy of her ID.

Also, be careful with your English translations. I have these as well (we asked for these officially from the government at the time of issuing the khmer documents) all officially stamped and signed by the revelant ministry. These are still not good enough and original khmer documents were requested (we came to the agreement that notorized copies of the khmer documents would be accepted as I couldn’t get the originals to send away to Nz).
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I have the originals but my ex will not give them to me to send away to NZ. What I need is copy’s that are certified as authentic copies of the original documents.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Equinix wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 am I'm going to hitch-hike on your topic.

OP, no need to bother someones' nephew about this. Your wife could have taken the birth certificate to MoFA herself and could have it translated. You've been taken for a (expensive?) ride. She could have done it for 10-20 USD by herself.

The legalized marital status is a different story - you won't be able to manage that one, and I'm pretty sure the nephew won't too. And if he can it's going to cost you. serious cost you. I was denied one offering 1k. MoFA will not provide it because they don't support marriage abroad, and that document is often needed for marriages abroad.
I worked around it in the end by having the document (Sangkat level) stating the mother was single translated at Pyramid, and the familybook (with her name, no husband) at the MoFA. When I explained to my embassy why I could not provide the document needed but instead provided these two they accepted these two instead.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
PSD-Kiwi wrote:Oh wow...I should just shut up now aye, haha! Glad to hear they're relaxing the requirements a little, that makes things easier for you.

Bring us back a crate of Tui and some maggi onion soup mix for dip, and some peanut slabs, and... haha, have a good trip back.
Cheers man. Tired doing it 5 years ago and I had to jump through so many hoops and basically give them my family tree.

This time was like a 4 page document and a few signatures. They really have made it incredibly easy.
Just to update. Sent docs off last Tuesday and got passports and citizenship certificates in hand today. So once they had all documents it’s took less than a week to process everything.

Process was so easy. I’m glad they have relaxed the process.

It is only citizenship by decent so any kids my kids have (which hopefully will be a long time off lol) will need to be born in NZ to a Kiwi to get citizenship. They did say I can transfer them to a grant citizenship, no idea what that is so need to look into it.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:22 pm
kiwiincambodia wrote:
PSD-Kiwi wrote:Oh wow...I should just shut up now aye, haha! Glad to hear they're relaxing the requirements a little, that makes things easier for you.

Bring us back a crate of Tui and some maggi onion soup mix for dip, and some peanut slabs, and... haha, have a good trip back.
Cheers man. Tired doing it 5 years ago and I had to jump through so many hoops and basically give them my family tree.

This time was like a 4 page document and a few signatures. They really have made it incredibly easy.
Just to update. Sent docs off last Tuesday and got passports and citizenship certificates in hand today. So once they had all documents it’s took less than a week to process everything.

Process was so easy. I’m glad they have relaxed the process.

It is only citizenship by decent so any kids my kids have (which hopefully will be a long time off lol) will need to be born in NZ to a Kiwi to get citizenship. They did say I can transfer them to a grant citizenship, no idea what that is so need to look into it.
Yea, make sure you explain to your kids when they're older that their children MUST be born in NZ to obtain NZ citizenship, bit of a shit rule to be honest, but that's the law.

To change to Full Citizenship, they need to be living in NZ for a period of time.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Kammekor wrote:

OP, no need to bother someones' nephew about this. Your wife could have taken the birth certificate to MoFA herself and could have it translated. You've been taken for a (expensive?) ride. She could have done it for 10-20 USD by herself.

The legalized marital status is a different story - you won't be able to manage that one, and I'm pretty sure the nephew won't too. And if he can it's going to cost you. serious cost you. I was denied one offering 1k. MoFA will not provide it because they don't support marriage abroad, and that document is often needed for marriages abroad.
I worked around it in the end by having the document (Sangkat level) stating the mother was single translated at Pyramid, and the familybook (with her name, no husband) at the MoFA. When I explained to my embassy why I could not provide the document needed but instead provided these two they accepted these two instead.
Thanks again. Got a letter from the embassy today. The passport will be delivered within 4 days Image
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Equinix wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:36 pm
Kammekor wrote:

Thanks again. Got a letter from the embassy today. The passport will be delivered within 4 days Image
Good to hear for a passport application a (signed by MOF) copy of the familybook is still accepted to proof mum is not married to another!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic