Engagement of US Man and Cambodian Woman Stopped by Police

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Engagement of US Man and Cambodian Woman Stopped by Police

Post by bvanfossen »

"legal weddings between foreigners and Cambodians require permission from either the Foreign Affairs Ministry or the Interior Ministry.
Copies of the permission letters should then be submitted to both provincial and local authorities where the wedding will take place"
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

is there such a thing as engagement papers? I understand the whole tea money thing for a wedding but for an engagement party, really?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

bvanfossen wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:39 pm "legal weddings between foreigners and Cambodians require permission from both the Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Interior Ministry.
Copies of the Authorisation to Marry letter issued by the MoI should then be submitted to both provincial and local authorities where the wedding will take place"
^ FTFY.

Foreigners often hold wedding ceremonies disguised as engagement ceremonies because they either don't/can't meet the requirements to legally marry, or they are trying to skirt the law and the costs involved.

Usually when these "engagement" parties get shut down, it is because they haven't obtained the necessary authorisation from the Sangkat to have the party, or they haven't paid enough tea money...or because someones just jealous and snitches.

There is no official process for holding a legitimate engagement party that involves the MoFAIC or the MoI. It is a Sangkat level affair only.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Nou Jimmy sounds like a Khmerican name.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jimsocks
Expatriate

Post by jimsocks »

paperwork, my friend had to travel back and forth twice cause he screwed his up.
engagement party as long as small, close friends, family doesn't get greedy inviting whole village. you can get away with that. don't make it a big affair. can do the wedding later. engagement party is supposed to just show you guys are a couple so they can hang out alone together without supervision. heck she can still break up with you, and never get married with you.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Police came to our engagement party for tea money too. Very small, only close family members, and no big age gap (both in our twenties). I was terrified of ending up in one of the news stories on here.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Take a good look at the photos.

The party seems to have been held in the local rubbish dump. Trash everywhere including the odd flip flop.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

TOG wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 am Take a good look at the photos.

The party seems to have been held in the local rubbish dump. Trash everywhere including the odd flip flop.
Pretty much like every wedding, funeral, party I have been to in Cambodia.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

For a recent get together around election time, my other half mentioned that we need to inform the police if there is going to be any dancing. I presumed I'd misheard, or misunderstood, but I gather that it's something of a formality/norm to advise the police of anything more exciting than planting some daffodils. Maybe such rules are not always strictly followed, but they exist anyway?

I'm back in the UK for a few weeks. I've been here five days. I'm beginning to think the KoW actually makes sense. I can't wait to get back. Quicker if I can land a job
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 am For a recent get together around election time, my other half mentioned that we need to inform the police if there is going to be any dancing. I presumed I'd misheard, or misunderstood, but I gather that it's something of a formality/norm to advise the police of anything more exciting than planting some daffodils. Maybe such rules are not always strictly followed, but they exist anyway?
Any time you hold any sort of ceremony/celebration/party (wedding, engagement, funeral, birthday, anniversary, etc,etc…) which involves setting up a big marquee, having loud music, and many guests...you first need to obtain authorisation from the Sangkat, this usually involves paying for security which is just a few cops who will sit at a table outside drinking your booze and eating your food.

Nothing to do with whether there will be dancing or not :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic