Car Insurance.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Car Insurance.

Post by newkidontheblock »

bvanfossen wrote:That's interesting. I'd honestly be very interested in finding out how their rates are determined.
In the US there are actuarial tables that determine rates of accidents over a host of different variables. Then factor in insurance in different categories, such as number and age and races of ones to be insured.

Add a pinch of witch’s brew and viola, a rate is quoted.

In Cambodia, probably just the witch’s brew is needed for a rate quote.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

khmerhamster wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:49 pm [
Yeah, true back home. But I wouldn’t expect insurers here use complex risk, pricing models.
I expect they’ll have a few categories of car, maybe cross plotted with value coupled with the age & nationality of the customer.

I have local health cover for my Khmer staff and it’s the same price for a 55 year old as it is for an 18 year old.
I was not thinking the other night but have been thinking about it a lot today . Health Insurance is a lot different than auto. Although I would think that there is still a lot in common determining their rates too. when it comes to a group health plan for a small company and its employees a lot of times there is a flat rate for each employee regardless of age.

I'm pretty sure, but have not actually looked, infinity Cambodia is the same as in the US. Either way for auto a few variables I have listed that determine rates as well as claim in specific areas, how much written risk in an area.

All of those must be in the equation for an Insurance company to be profitable.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I had been to a couple of insurance companies last week for a couple of requests (car, TukTuk, motorbike). The thing is pretty simple: due to government regulations, all the contracts are the same. 10.000$ maximum for 3rd party damage. Yes, that's a joke. If you hit a Bentley (which do drive in PP!), the mirror costs more. Anyway, the difference is the price: When you go to Forte, you have to be aware that you pay the rent for their luxury company seat in that blingbling high security business complex. If you go to Caminco, you get to a pretty rocked down place, but pay about half.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

so what will it cost ya/year for what car?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Depends on which type you get. Highest with Caminco is $100k for third party and/or passengers, if you’ve chose that.

You can’t get insurance without a valid Cambodian licence for that vehicle.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

davegorman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:31 pm Depends on which type you get. Highest with Caminco is $100k for third party and/or passengers, if you’ve chose that.

$100,000/year for car insurance??? you got to be kidding.
whats the least you'd pay for the minimum required to license the car? I pay 800 baht/year, ( $26) for my honda civic.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:51 am
davegorman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:31 pm Depends on which type you get. Highest with Caminco is $100k for third party and/or passengers, if you’ve chose that.

whats the least you'd pay for the minimum required to license the car? I pay 800 baht/year, ( $26) for my honda civic.
I believe he meant to say he's covered up to $100k, that's not his annual cost I surely hope!
Still here, in country...
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:58 am

I believe he meant to say he's covered up to $100k, that's not his annual cost I surely hope!
Don’t be a dunce Richard! That’s the level of cost you can get - $100k for third party, person or vehicle.

You pay $26 because I’m assuming you’re a very safe driver and have accumulated 2000 years no claims.
I pay $150 with two years no claims. It’s halved if you have no accidents in five years.

So yes. You’re right. Thailand is cheaper (Before you say it).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:54 am
Ravensnest wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:58 am

Don’t be a dunce Richard! That’s the level of cost you can get - $100k for third party, person or vehicle.

You pay $26 because I’m assuming you’re a very safe driver and have accumulated 2000 years no claims.
I pay $150 with two years no claims. It’s halved if you have no accidents in five years.

So yes. You’re right. Thailand is cheaper (Before you say it).
I asked how much /year NOTHING about coverage ,OK> you posted the response, not me so whose the dunce?
Yes, i am as safe driver but thats beside the point, I pay for the goverment insurance which is all that is required by law here.

SO, i was asking what is the min required by Cambodian law to get ur car on the road and legal?
No reason to be a smart ass all the time
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

My original post wasn’t directed at you (because you’re so offended at EVERYTHING I say because you’ve no sense of humour. Sorry humor.) but to the person who bounced the thread.

If you want details I’ll tell you the cost.
Nothing.
No insurance, no roadworthy, no annual tax. That’s what it costs to get your car on the road in Cambodia. You don’t even have to have a licence.
You can drive a Tico with no doors and a guitar stuck to the roof (in Kampot if you want to look) and the police don’t care. There’s small trucks here with no doors, no windshield and nearly spilt in two but still being driven. You can even drive electric golf carts around (PP, SHV and Kampot) and the police “may” fine you $2 for not having a caddy, no loud trousers or Locoste jumper. Locals drive rice husk rubbing machines (or whatever they are called) strapped to a chassis with no cab. No issues.

On a more level note.
The police won’t fine you for no insurance or impound your car (Unless you’re in an accident but they’d do that anyway) but “may” fine you for no annual road tax ($15 for a sub 1.0l/$25 for 2.0l engine/$150 for 3.0l/$400 anything over) or if you’ve no licence ($10) then you’re on your way. PP is a little stricter but not really.
(I got pulled in PP with no licence, no insurance and no tax. $40 fine after lots of negotiations (we were in our way to get a licence) and pleading. I’m now always legit.)
You can get blind drunk and the cops will help you push/drive your TukTuk/Car to the side of the road so you can sleep it off. (I’ve seen it. One was a local the other a barang).

Insurance.
Small Tico/Vista fully comp (Third party, theft, fire etc) $80 to $100. RAV4/CRV $130 to $180. Lexus/Range Rover $200 to $300. Give or take.

I doubt Thailand let’s anyone drive without so much as a light reflector out of place, much like the west.

Roadworthy.
$20 for two years takes 10 minutes.
Lights work? Required amount of tyres? Horn ok (very important)? At least one brake light (plus an array of flashing blues and reds)? Brake check on rolling road?
Pass.

“What, your brakes are shit?”
“Here’s $1. Cheers.”
“No mirrors?”
“$1”
Etc etc.

Does that answer your question sir?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic