Negative Karma

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Negative Karma

Post by General Mackevili »

Good question. First, you should know some key technical differences of negative karma and reporting a post.

If you report a post, it means all of us on the Mod Team can see that you reported a post, and should be done so when you want us to review a post, and you believe we should edit it or delete it. This is also private, and we don't reveal who reported a post.

Once one of us reviews it, then we can 'close' it and you receive a notification letting you know someone has looked at it and closed it. You can also leave a comment with the report, or just choose the best option that we have set it up for.

Karma is public. Logged in members can see who left the karma and also read the comment, if you left one.

In general, you shouldn't be giving people negative karma because you don't agree with them, but rather for posts you think the community would be better without because it's trollish or just not appropriate. It's also important to remember that the Mod Team does not get any sort of notification about these.

And you can also use both features for the same post, one notifying the Mod Team and the other to show your public disapproval of a post.

And while we don't have a set number of negative karma points you need to be banned, it's definitely been into consideration. If we get a report of a post, and we also see that they have gathered quite a few negative karma points, it shows us that not only for the specific post cross the line, but the community in general isn't impressed with a lot of their other posts that aren't bad enough to be reported.

I hope that helps a bit. Main points are that negative karma shouldn't be used for simply disagreeing with someone, and reporting posts means you want the Mod Team to take the time and actually review a post any to consider editing it.

For example: If you see someone make a pointless post that you think is just trying to bait someone, maybe just give them negative karma, but if it's an outright, vicious attack and you think it's a big enough deal that we should consider editing it deleting it, report it.

And as mentioned by FLB before, we do have the ability to revoke people's ability to give karma, so if it seems you are just going after someone to bombard them with negative karma, we might do that. Remember, if you have such a big issue with an individual, it might be best to report their posts and get in touch with us on the Mod Team to work it out.

And yes, before you pick this apart, these are just rough guidelines. Bottom line is, we make no attempt to censor any discussions or viewpoints from anyone, even if we don't agree with them, but we absolutely will try to prevent posts that clearly hinder valid discussions or that would likely discourage people who would like to voice their opinions if it weren't for some brainless comments.

If you find yourself in a heated debate, refraining from 'name calling' is probably the best way to be able to continue the debate without us thinking you are just being an asshole or trolling. I can't imagine 'fuck you, you're a fucking idiot' helping anyone see your point of view, and I've never heard it as the closing of a valid argument, and I doubt anyone would say it encourages further discussion on a matter.

We all disagree on a lot of things. That's great, but it should all be kept civil, and giving negative karma shouldn't be used only because you disagree with someone.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Geezz @General Mackevili I almost had a bad karma reading this load of information while driving :evil:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Barang chgout wrote:Just use tapatalk. Then, like me, you can't see the karma points so you don't care.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Not only that, the ignore feature in tapatalk works superbly! Haven't seen a trapper post in weeks.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

And lo and behold, I am awarded a negative Karma point for simply posting this thread. (your name is on the negative point)

I guess it is just a case of ignore the Karma issue although I thought it was a good idea.

Stick to reading posts in future rather than posting. 555
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

You had 2 negative karma points when you wrote this thread and now you have 3. What's the big deal?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws.
JM
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fax wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:51 pm You had 2 negative karma points when you wrote this thread and now you have 3. What's the big deal?

Are you really weighing in here?

Didn't you just get through some loony, puerile negative karma war with Artful Codger? One of you...maybe both, were crying like a little bitch over it too.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Brody wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:03 pm Are you really weighing in here?

Didn't you just get through some loony, puerile negative karma war with Artful Codger? One of you...maybe both, were crying like a little bitch over it too.
Do you feel like being downvoted twice is a big problem in your life?

One of us did indeed cry like a little bitch, I don't think they let him in anymore. It's amazing how nature works sometimes. Don't you agree?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fax wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:05 pm Do you feel like being downvoted twice is a big problem in your life?
Not at all...

I was commenting on the irony of you weighing in on this topic. When you yourself recently trawled, obsessively, through 50 of some idiots posts for the sole purpose of leaving negative karma.

That's weird.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Brody wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:13 pm Not at all...

I was commenting on the irony of you weighing in on this topic. When you yourself recently trawled, obsessively, through 50 of some idiots posts for the sole purpose of leaving negative karma.

That's weird.
"Obsessively trawled", come on, forums are paginated and every page has a next button. That I downvoted someone is half the story. The other half is that I was being obsessively downvoted before that, which my downvotes were a response to (that's been removed since). You didn't hear about that because for me it was no more than clicking next for shits and giggles on someone's page knowing it would make them sad.

Someone was clicking my posts and I clicked back. That sparked some sort of mental illness in their brain. I don't know, I wasn't part of what went on next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic