In case you're departing via Phnom Penh international airstrip

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

In case you're departing via Phnom Penh international airstrip

Post by Freightdog »

The powers that be have decided that only ticket holders/boarding pass holders are allowed to enter the departures building. Apparently, a certain type of passenger normally requires a send off by at least 3 current generations, and possibly a few past generations, whenever they depart.

Just in case your respective other half has decided to go to the airport with you, they may be obliged to wait outside, where there's even less room... :facepalm:
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: In case you're departing via Phnom Penh international airstrip

Post by King Keil »

My girl always comes with me to the airport, says goodbye and then drives back home.
Why would she want to enter the airport if she is not flying?
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Nothing new. I'm glad they don't allow kids and whatnot, it's already crowded enough with those clueless Chinese.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Our tribe loving coming to the airport, and bringing their tribe, and friends, and people they know... we learned early on that Khmer are not allowed through the front door, so we end up checking our luggage and getting our boarding passes, and then heading back outside for another round of goodbyes and remember to come backs.

We made the silly mistake of treating for Burger King some years ago, which was a first for some of the horde, and I suspect there's lingering hope that might happen again at some point.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

logos wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:54 pm Nothing new. I'm glad they don't allow kids and whatnot, it's already crowded enough with those clueless Chinese.
its been that way for years, that only ticket holders got thru the door.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 am
logos wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:54 pm Nothing new. I'm glad they don't allow kids and whatnot, it's already crowded enough with those clueless Chinese.
How many? Morticia always walks me to the counter and hangs out with me. Also, we took a friend to the airport and waited at the counter/assisted him just a couple months ago.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 am
True, unless you are white. I fly out of PNH almost every month for many years and have never been asked to show anything. But for others, I always see the police at the door asking for documents. Also, now it is better because there is a covered meeting place just across from the entry door in the parking area. Last year all the village people would be on the sidewalk just outside the entrance making it very difficult to get to the door.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I noticed, ( watched it back in like 2014) that a single khmer heading in with a Barang will get by
also a Barang was seldom, if ever stopped an asked for a ticket..
BUT a family of khmers will be stopped and only the ticket holder will get thru.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Well, for me it hadn't happened before, and so came as a small surprise. All recent departures from there have not been an issue- me leaving, g/f not flying, or a couple of friends came along, and we just camped out in the coffee shop. The other half was adamant that she did not want to go to the airport, but as my departure time got closer, she started to waiver- little hints here and there.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I don't generally have any ticket or proof of purchase except perhaps an email in my phone. Again the whitey gets left alone.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic