Pardons for CNRP in prison ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pardons for CNRP in prison ?

Post by Artful Dodger »

I am reading it all over the media today that the big man is indicating he will now pardon the CNRP that he imprisoned.... Absurd?
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Pardons for CNRP in prison ?

Post by John Bingham »

What media? I can't find anything about it online.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 pm What media? I can't find anything about it online.
Fresh news. Something about a general pardon for 'convicts', but there's no date announced. It seems to be part of the post-election freeing of perceived trouble-makers.
Kandal (FN), August 23 – Prime Minister HE announced to propose to the King for amnesties for convicts, including the 12 Cambodian opposition party members at the upcoming Pchum Ben or Water Festival.

The announcement was made on Thursday, addressing to 17,500 workers from 12 enterprises and factories in Kandal province.

The premier, however, warned that amnesty was not proposed due to foreigners’ pressure.

“I propose to the King to grant amnesty thanks to my compassion, not pressure from foreigners,” said the premier.

The Royal Government has conducted series of releases of Cambodian political analyst, land activists, and journalists detained in 2016 and 2017. Some was done based on the court’s discretion and procedure, others through amnesty.

Amnesty is normally practiced during three major festivals in Cambodia: Khmer New Year, Water Festival and Visakha Bochea – the day of Birth, Enlightenment and the Entrance into the Nirvana (Death) of Lord Buddha. Today, however, the premier could also propose that amnesty be granted on Independence Day, or the day of the inauguration of Win-Win Memorial –commemorating win-win policy – to be held on 29 December, a few days before New Year.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 14-39.html

Warning to released 'convicts'.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 48-57.html
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 pm What media? I can't find anything about it online.
Your not looking on KI Media

Twelve former CNRP members to be released, HE says

Why is HE suddenly releasing his critics?

HE hints at pardons for imprisoned CNRP members
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Yeah, I saw all these reports this morning, the Australian media were hoping that pedo defender would get let free...
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

this one alone.... but there are many others....

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... rp-members
Prime Minister-designate HE on Thursday hinted that he could soon request that a royal pardon is issued for 12 imprisoned members of the court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP). But he was quick to say the move wasn’t a response to international pressure.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

John Bingham wrote:What media? I can't find anything about it online.
I read the same on twitter. He said he would be open to pardoning them as long as no one mentioned it was due to international pressure. Whatever that was supposed to mean or achieve.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not buying it, they won't pardon traitors.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

King pardons ex-Cambodian opposition lawmaker jailed over Facebook post about Vietnam border
Um Sam An, a long-time critic of the Cambodian government’s Vietnam border policy, was jailed after posting maps and documents on Facebook suggesting that the government had ceded territory to Vietnam
UPDATED : Saturday, 25 August, 2018, 8:06pm
An outspoken Cambodian opposition lawmaker was pardoned by royal decree and released on Saturday, the first member of a now-dissolved political party to be freed a month after strongman premier HE won a virtually uncontested election.

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeas ... ailed-over
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

BREAKING NEWS: Late announcement on 27 August 2018:
King Grants Amnesty to Release Former Opposition Senior Official Meach Sovannara and 13 Others
28/08/18 00:58
More here: newsworthy/king-amnesty-releases-cnrp-p ... 22586.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic