Cycle Repair - or new bike...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cycle Repair - or new bike...

Post by beaker »

beaker wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:35 pm
explorer wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm I may do something like this myself in the future.

I would be interested in a link to the site where you bought the electric kit.

How much did it cost for purchase and delivery?

Was there an additional charge at the Cambodian end?

Where do you get something like this sent to?

Link ---> http://www.btn-ebike.com/index.asp

Also highly recommed this guy --->https://eunorauebike.aliexpress.com/sto ... 4c4dTNML13

No extra charges from customs. Motor Kit took only 2 days by DHL from the date of shipment. Battery considered hazardous had to be shipped by an alternative carrier and took 9 days.

I had it sent to my home.

invoice
Anyone serious about adding an electric motor to there bike should go to this web page:
http://www.btn-ebike.com/index.asp to select the items you are interested in
then email Ruby at : [email protected] she has excellent English and is patient and will send you price quotes and answer your questions (unlike trying to deal with AliExpress or eBay)

They have the best prices for quality products and are one of the only dealers that can ship to Cambodia. My kit took 2 days, after shipped to arrive by DHL. (took a couple of days to fill the order and package) The battery took 9 days because it is considered hazardous material and could not go DHL.

Beware some dealers will say its no problem to send battery they don't really check for sure and will later come back and say that the battery delivery isn't possible after they take you money. Trying to get money back from AliExpress is a nightmare. Just try asking AliExpress a question like "do you hold the money until the item is delivered" and you will quickly understand that they only read from a script and don't have any additional information or the ability to think. eBay is better but will take a while.

The ebike is working out wonderfully and I don't have to hassle with registration, drivers license and buying gas
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

I have built and sold about 7 electric bikes in the UK,still own 2 for personal use.I found that above 20mph full suspension was the only way to go or at least a good quality seat suspension.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

My bike is now overhauled, for now, and once again ok to ride. I bought mostly special tools from flying bikes as they offer a known brand. Add some basic tools including a $5 blow torch in Kampot at hardware stores.

Bike parts from 107 street. I know the quality will not be great the goal was to fix the bike for less than $100 in parts. I'm helping sort a couple of other bikes so the tools cost is not relevant to me. I can pass them on or keep them. Neither was the transport to/from PP ... also renewed driving licence.
7 speed freewheel gear set $5
7 speed chain (flying bikes) $5
pair of cranks with integral 3 chain rings $20 (bargain if it lasts a few months!)
pair of hand grips with allen bolts to lock on $8
Rear derailleur (flying bikes) $25 ( was a bit bent could have kept using it as gears changed ok - now swift and silent)
$63 in parts.

The blow torch was needed as the treads on the drive side crank had corroded so the puller would not work. A few whacks with a hammer no joy. Five minutes intense heat and a gentle tap and the assembly fell off. I took the opportunity to clean both the rear both wheels bearings and bottom bracket ones, greased them and also pushed fresh grease through the pedals.

thank you for the advice on where to go for the parts.
Need to go off to try remove a rear cassette using an old chain to hold it !
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

flying bikes 2 took my freewheel cassette off and didn't charge me anything
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

beaker wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:20 pm flying bikes 2 took my freewheel cassette off and didn't charge me anything
bit far to travel from Kampot to get that done hence why I bought some tools... had to get a moto repair shop with a big spanner and the mechanic jumping on it with me holding the wheel to unstick the freewheel.... grease went on before the new one....the socket I bought from Fly bikes worked well :thumb:
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

After about 5 years my ebike is still going strong. No license, no gas, no oil changes or maintenance (except disc brake pads).

jimi hendrix
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

beaker wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:51 am After about 5 years my ebike is still going strong. No license, no gas, no oil changes or maintenance (except disc brake pads).

You forgot to say,, No accidents.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic