Daylight Bank Robbery in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Daylight Hold-up in Phnom Penh

Post by bolueeleh »

console wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm Wow ... SEA only place in the world people use scooters for getaway vehicals.
u had too much of this bro

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

console wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm Wow ... SEA only place in the world people use scooters for getaway vehicals.
No way thieves would be able to make a getaway in a car in PP traffic.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Unless they used a SUV with a VIP sticker and blackened windows
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

I've often been in the bank waiting and looked around and thought how lax the security is compared to western banks. I remember once trying to explain to the girl I wanted some smaller notes and she couldn't understand so I leant over the counter and pointed at the notes I wanted. Absolutely no way you could do that in the UK.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

According to the French link, the robbers were Cambodians. Fresh News doesn't say. Anyone else ? CEO News ?

Quick translation of the French link.
Crime : Hold-up in broad daylight in Phnom Penh
Five individuals held up a branch of the RHB bank, situated on the Mao Zedong Bvd in Phnom Penh.
The hold-up took place on a busy street, not far from the Institut de Comptabilité Vanda.

The chief of the Criminal Brigade, lieutenant général Ngeng Chuo, confirmed that there were five robbers and they "neutralised" the security guards before robbing the bank.
He also said that the crime scene is still under examination and witnesses are being questioned, before adding that the robbers were of Cambodian origin, but remained unidentified.
They arrived on the scene by motorbike, armed with knives and two guns. No one was hurt in the robbery.
The amount of money stolen is said to be around $100,000, but this has not been confirmed.
The investigation is being led by Major General Chuon Sovan, surintendant adjoint et commissaire of Phnom Penh police.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Hope they were not any of the deportees from the USA.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Daylight Bank Robbery in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CCTV Security Cameras footage of the bank robbery from 2 different angles:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Daylight Bank Robbery in Phnom Penh

Post by bangkokhooker »

looks like they got riel mostly but didnt open the safe?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

mcam wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 pm I've often been in the bank waiting and looked around and thought how lax the security is compared to western banks. I remember once trying to explain to the girl I wanted some smaller notes and she couldn't understand so I leant over the counter and pointed at the notes I wanted. Absolutely no way you could do that in the UK.
You'd get decapitated. I was in a bank on Oxford St one time and the security screen was accidentally triggered, it scared the fuck out of me it went up so fast.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

:nokids:
hanno wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm I always thought that it must be pretty easy to hold up a bank in Cambodia. Zero security, and I am not counting the token 4-kilo security guard asleep outside the premises.

Thats a small amount of cash......

I make it raking asphalt in australia in 1 year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic