Price of rice-growing land

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Price of rice-growing land

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:10 pm Idle thought - saw someone selling ostrich eggs (apparently locally grown) on FB the other day. Ostrich farming would take some management.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

hello, I am wondering, if starting a small organic farm for vegetables and fruits, would it be difficult to find staff to help ? And how much would they expect to be paid ?
I always dream to grow my own unpoisoned fruits and vegs, but as I know nothing I would need some help.

Where would you setup for cheap land, and cheap available staff (aren't they all working in Thailand yet ? :-) )
Are some crowded more crowded than others with farmers who would like a salary complement for some full or part time job ?

Thanks for your ideas.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AdvisorExpertTravel wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:05 am hello, I am wondering, if starting a small organic farm for vegetables and fruits, would it be difficult to find staff to help ? And how much would they expect to be paid ?

I always dream to grow my own unpoisoned fruits and vegs, but as I know nothing I would need some help.

Where would you setup for cheap land, and cheap available staff (aren't they all working in Thailand yet ? :-) )
Are some crowded more crowded than others with farmers who would like a salary complement for some full or part time job ?

Thanks for your ideas.

Well here is some good advice,,,
Spoiler:
Keep it as your dream
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BLue eyes says it best

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

from about $1.20 sq m in small plots in Takeo
under $4k/ ha in mondulkiri on red volcanic soil with reliable water
at least, that is my personal knowledge, others may know cheaper.

cham people will contract grow for you.
if you want ag staff they will need to live on site and micro managed
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:30 pm I want to know how much (in rough figures) would be a fair price for 100m x 100m plot of land, good productivity, in Prey Veng.
If you're looking for 'high productivity land' most land in Prey Veng would't fit the bill. Most land depends on rain for the water and only one harvest per year is possible. Those plots are the cheapest of course. Can be as low as 0,25-0,50$ per square meter.

Price goes up considerably if there's access to a stream, a (decent) road, a town nearby etc etc. Then you can expect to pay north of 10k US per hectare.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:07 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:30 pm I want to know how much (in rough figures) would be a fair price for 100m x 100m plot of land, good productivity, in Prey Veng.
If you're looking for 'high productivity land' most land in Prey Veng would't fit the bill. Most land depends on rain for the water and only one harvest per year is possible. Those plots are the cheapest of course. Can be as low as 0,25-0,50$ per square meter.

Price goes up considerably if there's access to a stream, a (decent) road, a town nearby etc etc. Then you can expect to pay north of 10k US per hectare.
Many thanks. Actually I was curious to know if a friend got stiffed by his gf. Now, I need to ask him whether the land is near a stream, town, road etc.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am Many thanks. Actually I was curious to know if a friend got stiffed by his gf. Now, I need to ask him whether the land is near a stream, town, road etc.
:ROFL: If he needs to ask, then he probably did...C'mon man, details...we need details!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:48 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am Many thanks. Actually I was curious to know if a friend got stiffed by his gf. Now, I need to ask him whether the land is near a stream, town, road etc.
:ROFL: If he needs to ask, then he probably did...C'mon man, details...we need details!
Who said he asked? He trusts her 100%. As I said, I will work on the details.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:30 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm I paid 6,000 for 5,000 sg m ONLY rice growing, no trees, already producing rice. 5kms before Savy Rieng town about 5 1/2 years ago. Been offered $10,000 for it.
So that's half hectare. 2 crops per year. How much value in rice per year?
Growing rice is a mug's game. Any other cash crop would be better. I think it was this year's harvest where the government had to lend everyone money from farmers to millers. If you can get the grass and the initial upfront cash then beef cattle would be the mack daddy. You could probably just poly-tunnel veg, though, too.
Try telling that to the Khmer since the area and climate suits. Also being their staple food. And not to forget the country is the 7th largest exporters of the produce.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic