Fun night

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Fun night

Post by bvanfossen »

My GF is super sick, I think food poisoning from what I can determine. She likes spicey food but I think she ate a whole Khmer chilli. Anyhow she says that's what made her so sick but she could have been the fish was bad.

She is in miserable pain, won't let me take her to the clinic and wants to coin her stomach :(

I've given her western diarrhea pills, gaviscon, anticel gel.

No fun at my house
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fun night

Post by Beerinthemorning »

bvanfossen wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:23 am My GF is super sick, I think food poisoning from what I can determine. She likes spicey food but I think she ate a whole Khmer chilli. Anyhow she says that's what made her so sick but she could have been the fish was bad.

She is in miserable pain, won't let me take her to the clinic and wants to coin her stomach :(

I've given her western diarrhea pills, gaviscon, anticel gel.

No fun at my house
Time are getting grim in KoW
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

I can see she is in a lot of pain in her stomach. She's
crying and twitching her feet.

She is absolutely against going to a clinic everytime I mention it, but if I put my foot down she will go.

I don't know what to do
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you think it is potentially life threatening, I would definitely seek medical attention. I dont know how sick she is.

If you think it is not life threatening, and she does not want medical attention, maybe keep her happy.

There are things you can do, but you need to know what is causing the pain.

Has she been vomiting?

Does she have diarrhea?

In the future learn what to eat and what to avoid.

Then learn what to do if someone gets sick.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

get her tested for typhoid at once if she has gastro symptoms. very common.
if she refuses medical treatment give her ciprofloxacin and be aware resistance is becoming an issue.
if she will not go to clinic find a new GF

here is for the resistant shit
https://www.pjms.com.pk/issues/janmar06 ... cle10.html
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

If I thought it was life threatening I wouldn't be posting on a website.

You know how it is, tough to see someone go through agony and you cannot do anything. I keep a drawer full of stomach meds from my adjustment and food poisoning here.

Thank God she's doing better. The meds have kicked in. I've learned what I can eat in the KoW but not what she (a local) can eat. She ate a big Khmer chilli pepper whole when she normally eats small amounts of small slices of them. Saginaw oun!

Good night/ good morning all. I'm going to bed!
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:19 am get her tested for typhoid at once if she has gastro symptoms. very common.
if she refuses medical treatment give her ciprofloxacin and be aware resistance is becoming an issue.
if she will not go to clinic find a new GF

here is for the resistant shit
Thanks for the info and help Frank. I have Cipro here and Amox and Azithromycin but didn't think it was that type of bacterial. I'll have to Google typhoid as I'm not educated on it. I had the feeling it was food poisoning or heavily irritated stomach lining. Man she was in agony! but her pain tolerance seems low to me.

Is that others findings of Cambodian women?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Her pain tolerance is low and she’s refusing doctors. You think it’s real? Does she even have a fever? Run now! Khmer chicks exaggerate or pretend to be sick all the time to control a dude.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the final paragraph is significant for local mdr strains
Multi-drug resistant salmonella typhi (MDRST) is defined as Salmonella typhi resistant to all first line antibiotic i.e. chloramphenicol, ampicillin, and trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole. Multiple outbreaks of infections with these resistant strains occurred in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Middle East and Africa.3-5 This resistance rarely develops during course of treatment but instead results from clonal dissemination of individual multi-drug resistant S.typhi or from transfer of R-plasmid.6 Recently however there are reports from some areas, of strains, fully susceptible to all first line drugs.7

Therfall and Ward have reported that S.typhi with decreased sensitivity to ciprofloxacin is endemic in several Asian countries, and incidence of such strains has increased in travelers from the Indian subcontinent. They suggested 3rd generation cephalosporins such as ceftriaxone or cefotaxime as possible alternatives and in their study it was assured that all strains were sensitive to these drugs.8

Reduced susceptibility to flouroquinolones has become a major problem mostly in Asia.9,10 Outbreak with such strains affected eight thousand people and killed 150 people in Tajikistan in 1997.11 Isolates responsible for this outbreak were found to have MIC of flouroquinolone ten times to that of those fully susceptible to the drug. This decreased susceptibility is resulting in treatment failure.12,13
here is the resistance table for typhoid
There are sporadic reports of high resistance to ceftriaxone as well.14 At the moment the emergence of resistant strains to two major second line drugs like ciprofloxacin and ceftriaxone is posing a major problem.

METHODS

Blood samples received in the laboratory of Fatima Memorial Hospital for culture during the study period of one and half year, were followed and sensitivity of isolates positive for Salmonella typhi was checked to 20 different antibiotics. These antibiotics included ampicillin, amikacin, amoxicillin, augumentin, aztreonam, cefipime, ceftazidime, ceftriaxone, cefotaxime, cefixime, cefaclor, cefuroxime, ciprofloxacin, chloramphenicol, gentamicin, imipenem, meropenem, pipracil, tobramycin and trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole.

"food poisoning " often ensues from S.typhi exposure. many are immune via exposure.
it is a vax worth getting. rabies too.

any sign of a tummy ache 500mg twice of cipro will kill even typhoid most of the time.
after 24 hrs go clinic.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

I'm getting killed here in PP with food poisoning and I can't figure where I'm getting it from, my best guess from Aeon Mall 1, bean salad with tuna at the help yourself salad place and or the hamburger and pizza place where I ate a hamburger, almost killed me........BTW, 3 years in Thailand and no food poisoning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic