Battambang to Bangkok for Medical Treatment

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Re: Battambang to Bangkok for Medical Treatment

Post by kocdim »

that genius wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 am There's a skytrain which drops you off inside the airport, lower level.

But a private taxi to Sovannabhumi is $12, much more comfortable..skytrain gets crowded near peak hours, and you may have to walk fair distances from stations to your destination
But If I avoid getting inside of Bangkok it will save me more less 2 hours extra travel. Maybe the bus can not drop me off because of the highway. But maybe the train has a station close by? Then I take taxi? or the train doesnt stop also?
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Taking it a stage further....

Does anyone in or near Battambang (Siem Reap)have regular health checks (blood, Xrays etc) at local hospitals/clinics and if so, how good are they?

Or is it best to visit PP?

All replies are appreciated as all info is good info.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

To be honest it's good to have some kind of plan for hospital treatment if needed.
But let reality kick in! It would depend on the emergency at the time. If your not mobile, then you are in whom ever hands it will be. Don't plan on something or someone if it goes wrong. Your in the lap of your god.
I was refused treatment at the beginning of the year, even that it was aŕanged with the doctor from another hospital. I had no insurance. But I had $10.000 in cash on me and access to more. No way, I was refused. After four days I made my overland trip to Bangkok and was heading to my country.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Thanks Andy. your comments are most sensible.

Medical issues are the most important part of living in a foreign country. We all know of the recent demise of a vlogger form Northern Thailand who had no coverage and due to various reasons was too late to take advantage of offers of help.

We intend to start with a medical "fund" that would cover most items such as emergency hospital treatment, rooms and nursing etc and add US$500 to it each month. While we are in reasonable health, we should not need it but as the years roll on who knows? My wife is OK in that we will have a base in her home country of Singapore and she is covered by her CPF fund.

I have given up with the NHS and last year had one hip replaced in a private hospital and am going in next month to have the other one done. I choose the hospital, surgeon and date that is convenient to me while the NHS just screw you around. Being a heavy (not fat) person, my BMI was around 35 and the NHS refused any treatment until I got it down to under 32. I lost 15 Kg in three months but still had a BMI of 33. I am 5ft 9, have a 36" waist but a 52" chest....Rugby prop forward of course.

Cost of treatment in Singapore is more than the UK and I did not want to start off my days in Cambodia by going in for a hip replacement. Better to have all of the major surgery carried out in the UK.

On the Thai forums, they go on about how great the hospitals are in Bangkok which is why I asked about getting there but I am guessing the one in PP is just as good.

A lot of research and talking to people is on the cards over the next year or so.

Thanks again.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

TOG wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm No point in returning to the UK for NHS treatment as the NHS has gone to the dogs....
But just before that
TOG wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm Trying to plan as much in advance as possible like having major medical work (hip replacements) carried out in the UK prior to moving.
Yeah, what a terrible system, I hate those free $15,000 operations :wink:

It is good to make plans getting sick in more remote areas of Cambodia but I wouldn't rule out the free healthcare in the UK so quickly
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

TOG wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:27 pm Taking it a stage further....

Does anyone in or near Battambang (Siem Reap)have regular health checks (blood, Xrays etc) at local hospitals/clinics and if so, how good are they?

Or is it best to visit PP?

All replies are appreciated as all info is good info.
I have lived in Phnom Penh for over 20 years, for the last 5 years have used Central Hospital for all healthcare needs. There are a few god hospitals in PP now but IMO Central is the best value for money and supplies a high level of care. You can check out the service available here http://www.central-hospital.com/ch/

Regarding general check ups below is a copy of a post I made on another forum:
As a number of posters have said "go and see a doctor" I would advise that you go to Central Hospital and get a heart check up http://www.central-hospital.com/ch/ You can get a comprehensive screening done which includes kidney and liver function tests,but if cost is an issue, you could just go for the salient heart function tests.

You can go in and confirm prices with ms. Geli, the admin manager, but the following is what I would expect. Consultation $20, diagnostic cardiac ultrasound and ECG around $50. Blood tests cost mostly between $1 and $2 each. You can discuss which you really need,it will probably be around four or five. Results for all blood tests are usually available within an hour

If you want a fasting blood sugar (diabetes) test its best to arrive in the morning having not consumed anything for 8 hours or so. Whatever medications you are prescribed there is no need to buy from the hospital pharmacy. Go to pharmacy Phsar Tapang on the corner of 136/51 which is very close. You can get the generics there if you wish and they are considerably cheaper than the brand names.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:50 am
TOG wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm No point in returning to the UK for NHS treatment as the NHS has gone to the dogs....
But just before that
TOG wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm Trying to plan as much in advance as possible like having major medical work (hip replacements) carried out in the UK prior to moving.
Yeah, what a terrible system, I hate those free $15,000 operations :wink:
Good for those who can get one but the NHS is more concerned with gender bender ops, spending £500K on a Nigerian women who had quads, over a £million on an aid working nurse who broke the health rules and contracted Ebola in Africa or treating hundreds of thousands of people who have never paid a dime into the system, it should be called the "International Health System". As I said, they would not operate on my hip unless I fell below the magic level of 32 in a BMI rating. (Not an official NHS standard but one that local NHS areas can impose themselves). I would have to lose 25Kg to meet this requirement. Not an easy task when you do not have much surplus fat.

Add to this the level of care....I had a SCC (skin cancer) on my scalp and it took several months before I could see a surgeon at an NHS hospital. You see a doctor very quickly to meet targets and then it goes into limbo. The surgeon was Egyptian and hardly spoke English. He said the scalp was too thin to administer an anaesthetic so he cut it out without one. I have had worse pain than that without any form of anaesthetic or drugs but then he said he could not stitch the skin as there was not enough flexibility. At this point, the operating sister stepped in and stitched it up very quickly and almost painlessly. That is the level the NHS is dropping to....(Thank you Tony Blair for dumbing down the NHS)

Nope, you can keep the NHS for those who have never paid in. I will just do what I have always done, look after myself and ask questions from those who can assist with good information as to private doctors and hospitals.

So far, very helpful information that I appreciate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic