Do You Use Wing ?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Do You Use Wing ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

This article is a plug for Wing, but personally, I think it's a great system for sending money around Cambodia - easy and cheap.

Wing: Leading the charge on financial inclusion in Cambodia
Posted on: August 20, 2018 | Business
Wing provides consumers of all ages and backgrounds with easy-to-use mobile banking solutions – without ever needing to enter a bank.

As the last of the sun’s rays set over Phnom Penh’s Royal Palace, Ratanak sits patiently in his red tuktuk, hoping to catch a fare from some of the tourists spilling out of the palace grounds. He has been working as a driver in Cambodia’s capital city for the last decade, saving money to send home to his family in Kampong Speu Province.

Like much of the country’s population, Ratanak doesn’t have a bank account because of the complications in setting one up. Ten years ago he regularly had to make the 75km journey back to his home village by himself just to give his family some money. Then he discovered Wing.

Since then he has been using a Wing agent to send money home, with his family receiving it in just a couple of minutes. But recently, Ratanak made another discovery.

He pulls out his phone and opens up the Wing app that he downloaded for free from the Google Play Store. “Now I can do everything from my phone,” he says. “Not only send money back to my family, but so many other things too. It has changed my life,” he adds.

Wing has been operating in Cambodia since 2009, and it is exactly people like Ratanak that inspire the company’s ideology of financial inclusion for everyone.
http://sea-globe.com/wing-cambodia/
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Do You Use Wing ?

Post by Arget »

Use it sometimes but now have ABA account and pay most things by the APP.
I used to pay all by Wing and found it easy to use and cheap.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We use it to move smaller amounts around with customers /resellers. Odd, though, how we always end up being the ones paying the transfer fee!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Royal Railways signed a contract with Wing for their outlets to sell train tickets back in January which has yet to eventuate, but will make it much easier for people wanting to travel by rail.

I used to pay my power/water bills at Wing before I realised I could pay by ABA's app.

But you can send money to people at Wing, with just their mobile number, right? That could be useful.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 pm We use it to move smaller amounts around with customers /resellers. Odd, though, how we always end up being the ones paying the transfer fee!
Suckered.

Anyhow, I used to use it a lot. Now it's kinda obsolete, for my needs. But great for some people, without a doubt, although their fees are not competitive.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 pm This article is a plug for Wing, but personally, I think it's a great system for sending money around Cambodia - easy and cheap.

Like much of the country’s population, Ratanak doesn’t have a bank account because of the complications in setting one up. Ten years ago he regularly had to make the 75km journey back to his home village by himself just to give his family some money. Then he discovered Wing.
What would the complications in setting up a bank account be exactly? They must have been significant if it was easier to do a 150km round trip. Also, I thought that before Wing, there was an informal system of sending money based on pawnshops or somesuch.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Ten years ago, Ratanak might have been able to open a bank account in Phnom Penh if he had a 'real' job with a reputable company and he had all the necessary IDs. His mother, on the other hand, living in the countryside, probably had zero to no chance of opening a bank account, not to mention the lack of banks in rural areas.

Wing made it easier for everyone, everywhere.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

You would be surprised how easy and cheap it is to send money here, my bf is a collector for a big metal company in PP, most of their clients in the provinces don't have a bank account or know how to use the apps. In most small towns they have some transfer shop that works cheaper and just as quick as Wing. Wing just has a good marketing company and government contacts behind them.
just noise, white noise
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:30 pm ^^ Ten years ago, Ratanak might have been able to open a bank account in Phnom Penh if he had a 'real' job with a reputable company and he had all the necessary IDs. His mother, on the other hand, living in the countryside, probably had zero to no chance of opening a bank account, not to mention the lack of banks in rural areas.

Well, my gf opened an account seven years ago with just her ID card. Needless to say she had no job.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:43 pm
Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:30 pm ^^ Ten years ago, Ratanak might have been able to open a bank account in Phnom Penh if he had a 'real' job with a reputable company and he had all the necessary IDs. His mother, on the other hand, living in the countryside, probably had zero to no chance of opening a bank account, not to mention the lack of banks in rural areas.

Well, my gf opened an account seven years ago with just her ID card. Needless to say she had no job.
I'm not sure what you mean by "needless to say", but a youngish woman dressed well would be a seen as a customer with potential for a bank. An old scruffy tuk-tuk driver might not be seen in the same light.

As for WING, I've often used it, it's great for sending money even to people not that far away instead of having to organize meeting the person and travel to see them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic