Where would you rather retire?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Where would you rather retire?

Post by that genius »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 am
USA, probably one of the worst countries in the world to live in.
Right::: Yemen, Syria, N Korea, China, Somalia to name a few ....all on equal grounds with America :stir:
And every single one except China has been fucked over by the US.

Beginning to see a pattern? Doh.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm Why not Siberia
In Dostoevsky's mistitled book, House of the Dead, he says Siberia is much misunderstood and has a lot to recommend it.
But I doubt the Russian government will take too kindly to permanent resident expats.
Last edited by Multipox on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

zmth wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 pm ....
Because it is a police state and too expensive for two.
Yes, and getting worse.
The domination of business over people's lives is oppressive.
You can't even have a landline phone there anymore because you get constant robocall spam all day long.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 am ....
my 24 year old daughter loves it there, is in school,working a full time job as a vet technician, (making good $$$$) and happy as all.
wouldn't trade it to be back in asia for anything.
same goes for 50% or her HS graduation class that attended uni in America..
Many countries in the West are heaven for young women. They get showered with attention and moral sympathy just being "women." But just wait till they hit 35 or 40 and the attention stops. At the same time they are hell for young men, who get the short end of the sex stick.

For people who want to "make money" and are willing to conform to get it, which means getting kicked in the balls every other day, then it is great.
And get your internet, cable, phone bills crammed by the respective companies, then spend hours a day calling customer service to hear their lies and demand a charge be reversed.
Then get fat because there is nowhere to go unless you drive your car.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:27 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 pm
TOG wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm
michael.stewart1 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 amthey only want because they want a US greencard.
Why on earth would anyone want a greencard?

:please:
wow are u out of touch with reality
It's a great country if you are doing well, but could be difficult for a recent arrival from a developing country. The same could be said about most countries I guess.
Look at the rate of homelessness among upper middle aged men in the USA.

According to the 2014 NCHWIH report:[170

51.3% are single males.
24.7% are single females.
23% are families with children—the fastest growing segment.

42% are African American
38% are Caucasian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... a-45442596
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

that genius wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:37 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 am
Right::: Yemen, Syria, N Korea, China, Somalia to name a few ....all on equal grounds with America :stir:
And every single one except China has been fucked over by the US.

Beginning to see a pattern? Doh.
You can have a good life if you are rich anywhere. If you are porr your options are limited to countries who will let you live there and countries you can afford. Most retired people are not rich, so if you want to have a decent life on limited money then cheaper countries are your only option. I can be shot, stabbed or left to die because i have no medical insurance in the USA as easilty as in Yemen, but yemen will give me a visa and trump won't. he is determined to stop other people doing what he did with his immigrant wife.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I've said it before but if I hadn't fallen so madly in love with.my wife 20+years ago(and now 2kids)I would have left years ago. But where to? pczz described the dilemma quite well in the previous post. In my case certainly not to the USA; the sticker shock would kill me on the spot.

Research would be called for, but most likely some place in Latin America where they have a readable alphabet and try to go forward in history and democratic thought.
Perhaps Chile. In the meantime I am grateful for the love I have been given and have adapted to the privations of rural life in the KofW. But the absence of intelligent conversation is stultifying and explains my continued presence on this forum.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

taabarang wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 pm But the absence of intelligent conversation is stultifying and explains my continued presence on this forum.
Gems of intelligent conversation can found here if one can sort the wheat from the chaff.. :plus1:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:43 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 pm But the absence of intelligent conversation is stultifying and explains my continued presence on this forum.
Gems of intelligent conversation can found here if one can sort the wheat from the chaff.. :plus1:
Even at it's worst on this forum, it beats involved conversations about cattle and plant diseases, who's being unfaithful to whom, numerous invitations to weddings and wakes of those I never met, etc. etc.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

taabarang wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 pmBut the absence of intelligent conversation is stultifying and explains my continued presence on this forum.
I have had a lousy day painting inside the house and chasing the bloody chickens that got out around the garden and under the bushes but that last comment of yours really cheered me up and made me laugh.

Intelligent conversation on this forum.....Classic. :hattip: :hattip: :hattip: :hattip:
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic