Where would you rather retire?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Where would you rather retire?

Post by phuketrichard »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
TOG wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm
michael.stewart1 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 amthey only want because they want a US greencard.
Why on earth would anyone want a greencard?

USA, probably one of the worst countries in the world to live in.
:please:
wow are u out of touch with reality
But......
Don't you, an American, chose to live not in America?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
true, but i crave travel, adventure and photography
my 24 year old daughter loves it there, is in school,working a full time job as a vet technician, (making good $$$$) and happy as all.
wouldn't trade it to be back in asia for anything.
same goes for 50% or her HS graduation class that attended uni in America..
Even our beloved frank is over there working cause he knows he cant make $$$ in Cambodia

Everyone here left somewhere, to be over here for their own reasons

Right::: Yemen, Syria, N Korea, China, Somalia to name a few ....all on equal grounds with America :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

canada maybe. could be tropical climate soon and they let nearly anyone in. was offered work there in May but i was not ready.
usa pays well and it is pretty cheap in comparative terms.
i could work in Oz or NZ ( which I may do) but expensive for retirement.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm Why not Siberia
Men in Siberia don't live long enough to retire.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

nor will op i suspect with his choice of countries
djstuntmunch
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by djstuntmunch »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 am If you could retire in Brazil, Peru, Cambodia, or Chile which would you choose? Would you live in Brazil where you can spend your days cruising the Amazon river, shopping at the Tataupe mall in sao paulo and watch soccer with your friends while eating coxinha and farofa and drinking cachaca and Brahma beer. On the weekend you could take your beautiful Brazilian gf to the mall to buy her a bikini that she will never wear at the beach. Would you choose Peru where you have the choice of hiking up to Macchu Picchu or flying over the Nazca desert to view the Nazca lines. Then you can spend your day exploring the markets of Iquitos Peru where you would feast on exotic Jungle fruits and suri. Then for dinner your beautiful Peruvian wife with lips devil red and skin the color mocha will serve you Ceviche, Causa rollena, and Tres de leche cake topped with dulce de leche and a glass of pisco sour. Then when you want spiritual enlightenment you could go to your local shaman for an ayahuasca session and a cup of coca leaf tea. Your neighbors could be anacondas which are the most affectionate of all snakes. their embrace will take your breath away.
Would you choose Chile where you could spend your days in Central Market where you can explore the mountains of fresh fish piled as high as the Andes Mountains. You could spend your nights star gazing in the atacama desert and when life is getting dull an earthquake could shake things up for you. If you really want adventure besides salt flats of the Atacama desert you could also go back in time on Easter Island with the Moai statues. There is also Tierra delfuego when you just want to chill out with your beautiful Chilean wife. Then there is Cambodia. You can spend your days eating cambodian food, drinking beer, and chasing cambodian girls after they take your money promising to marry you which they only want because they want a US greencard.
I would choose Cambodia. MUCH more fun than the rest. Yeah you can swan up and down the Amazon, get nutted on Columbian marching powder, but Cambodia captures you like no other place on earth. The people, the smells, (good and bad) the food, cheap beer, fantastic people (not all, but it's the smae in any country, you can choose your friends) the weather, the sun, the hassle, the hussle and bustle, the countryside, the architecture, the nightlife, could go on, but you get the picture.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

TOG wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 pm
michael.stewart1 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 amthey only want because they want a US greencard.

Hardly.

I spent 7 years at the back end of my working life in the good old US of A and without doubt, it is the most xenophobic country I have ever lived in.

Labour laws are archaic and belong back in the 30s. The attitude of "we have always done it this way so who are you to tell us otherwise?"..."Duh, I'm the guy who started this company with his own money and is paying you morons to work here". University education (a few notable exceptions) laughingly referred to as High School and a medical insurance system that ensures premiums are always at a high and getting higher each year. et al, et al.

USA.........Keep it. 50 years and half the States will be Hispanic and wanting to split away from the North (sense of deja vu?)
It is a nation of racists, that's for sure. But all equally so, black, white, yellow, every one of them. What a weird place. A nation of misfits.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

philipines , pattaya, phuket or phnom phen.

pretty much any tourist are that starts with a P is a good place to retire
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:27 am philipines , pattaya, phuket or phnom phen.

pretty much any tourist are that starts with a P is a good place to retire
Pyongyang could be up and coming now that Trump is in bed with Kim Jong-un :whip:
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 pm
phuketrichard wrote:

But......
Don't you, an American, chose to live not in America?
But...but... :bow:
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

My list:

Madagascar
Zambia
Argentina
Malawi
Namibia