Fewer westerners arriving?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Fewer westerners arriving?

Post by rogerrabbit »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:23 pm western tourist numbers are down.
uk 5% usa 9% or something from 2017

theres 85% more Chinese in 2018
UK is correct but your USA number is totally off.

Latests stats (Jan-June 2018 compared to Jan-Jun 2017: USA -1,2%, UK -5,0%. But then again France +3,0% and some other western countries increased as well.

Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 pm
Also saw a backpacker sporting a small gym bag. Couldn’t have carried more than a change of clothes and maybe some shoes. Each arm through a handle and on the back it went. How can one survive Cambodia on a single change of clothes (or less)?
Funniest thing I read all day. While you sadly omitted asking the guy and getting the full explanation, including a look into the bag, I can tell you that I've done 4 weeks in SE Asia with just a carry on bag. It's not hard to do.

Now that I think of it, I got quizzed on my lack of luggage in public in Singapore once on the bus going to the airport by some insomniac dude going there just to amuse himself. Was that you?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

The Thais let me check-in at the diplomat counter when I was returning from a one day trip with just a backpack. Many countries lack embassies in Cambodia, renewing a passport is one reason to travel lightly to a neighboring country. Don’t assume that everyone traveling is a tourist.

One time I was detained in Bangkok for acting suspicious (staying too short time) but that’s another story.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Josh_76 wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 pm
Also saw a backpacker sporting a small gym bag. Couldn’t have carried more than a change of clothes and maybe some shoes. Each arm through a handle and on the back it went. How can one survive Cambodia on a single change of clothes (or less)?
Funniest thing I read all day. While you sadly omitted asking the guy and getting the full explanation, including a look into the bag, I can tell you that I've done 4 weeks in SE Asia with just a carry on bag. It's not hard to do.

Now that I think of it, I got quizzed on my lack of luggage in public in Singapore once on the bus going to the airport by some insomniac dude going there just to amuse himself. Was that you?
Nope. I stopped flying Singapore airlines and changed over to EVA a while back. More expensive and longer flight times. The only insomnia was from hordes of mainland Chinese arriving. I was the dude hanging out at the Dairy Queen waiting for the missus because she got confused about my arrival time.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

You had to wait at the airport for your pickup because she thought your arrival time is your departure time?

Your life is a cartoon. Why didn’t you hitch a car?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

finbar wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 pm Also saw a backpacker sporting a small gym bag. Couldn’t have carried more than a change of clothes and maybe some shoes. Each arm through a handle and on the back it went. How can one survive Cambodia on a single change of clothes (or less)?
So not actually a backpacker then.
How to survive?
Buy cheap clothes at the market perhaps?
Of course if you need a "special" size that won't work ...
If you need to buy a " special " size, you need to buy 2 seats on the plane and can carry your "special " clothes in 2 carry on bags....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:23 pm western tourist numbers are down.
uk 5% usa 9% or something from 2017

theres 85% more Chinese in 2018
UK is correct but your USA number is totally off.

Latests stats (Jan-June 2018 compared to Jan-Jun 2017: USA -1,2%, UK -5,0%. But then again France +3,0% and some other western countries increased as well.

“or something”

thanks spock
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:30 am
Nope. I stopped flying Singapore airlines and changed over to EVA a while back. More expensive and longer flight times. The only insomnia was from hordes of mainland Chinese arriving. I was the dude hanging out at the Dairy Queen waiting for the missus because she got confused about my arrival time.
Just kidding of course. He spoke very loudly in that 'Asian uncle gives it to you straight' way: "What!? That all you got for four weeks?!!" I find it very funny now but it was a bit weird being called out like that, especially when we should call out those with too much luggage, taking a lot of crap they probably won't even wear/need using up unnecessary kerosene.

I'm sure you do realize that many people flying in & out of SIN do not use SIA/SQ.

Changi is still my favorite airport on the planet and I doubt that will change in the future.

I will fly E. V. A. (they're not called 'Eva', as I've learned) at the beginning of next year. Am excited to try their business class as their fishbone seating arrangement looks very appealing. I'm burning through 400K United miles prior to my move next year and snapped up two biz tickets and an economy.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’ve never flown business class. Too expensive to justify the price. Plus Singapore airlines to Cambodia is a between 28 hrs - 38 hrs, too long for my tastes. EVA is much shorter. Plus the goody bag is nicer - comes with slippers, too: And I like the toilets on the Boeing aircraft better. The only negative is the 2 AM departure time.

I think you would enjoy EVA. As for me I’ll be spending all my points with Singapore before they expire this year.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

I go to Bangkok with little more than the clothes ony back the reason being I buy all my clothes there instead of in Phnom Penh. From my experiences, clothes and shoes, even shoe laces seem to last longer from Thailand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic