Meanings of place names

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Meanings of place names

Post by explorer »

It may help people learning the Cambodian language if they know the meaning of place names.

Phnom Penh - Pnom Pen(y). Pnom means mountain or hill. Pen(y) means full. So Pnom Pen(y) means full hill or full mountain. I dont know where this originated, but: Wat Pnom is very close to the center of ancient PP. Land in some parts of all of the cities along the rivers has been filled. Before filling some of it was flood plains. Maybe, a long before they built the temple, a lot of people built houses on Wat Pnom to be above the flood level. This would make it a full hill.

Kandal - Gondaal means center or middle. For people living in PP, Kandal seems to be the center of Cambodia.

Ta Khmau - Ta Kmou. Ta means grandfather, kmou means black, so Ta Kmou means black grandfather. If you go there you will see him in the middle of the roundabout.

Kampong Cham - Gompoong Jaam. Jaam means wait, and gompoong means ing, so Gompoong Jaam means waiting. In ancient times, there was trade along the rivers by boat. People used to wait for the boats in Gompoong Jaam.

Kratie - Kro Je. Kro means poor, and je means to know how to, so Kro Je means the poor know how to. It has been said that there used to be a lot of poor people in Kro Je, but they were smart. One of the first things people may ask you is - Je Kmae - Do you know how to speak Khmer?

Prey Veng - Prai Veng. Prai means forrest, veng means long, so Prai Veng means long forrest.

Kep - Kaep, means seat (of a bicycle). In the Cambodian language, north is kaang jerng, or leg side, which is always down. Which leads to the conclusion they used to draw the map upside down, with Kep at the top. With the map upside down, Kep is like a seat (of a bicycle).

If anyone has any different explanations, please share.

If anyone wants to share the meaning of of other place names, please do.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Meanings of place names

Post by prahocalypse now »

I believe that the Penh in Phnom Penh is a mythical woman's name and the Cham in Kampong Cham refers to the Cham people.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I found one of the most entertaining Khmer words , although not a place name, was the word for '' holiday ''

t'ngai chOOp som raak . day stop rest

Dont blame me if it's wrong, cause I copied it from a book.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Kompong and Kampong are both from the Malaysian kampong, a landing place for boats. There is a strong Indo-Maly influence, such as Phsar and kangkong (water spinach). Jayavarman means protector from Java, which, at the time, was a generic term for Sumatra, Java and other adjoining islands.
Speu in Kompong Speu means honey.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

If your post was intended to provide entertainment you succeeded. I showed it to my Khmer wife a few minutes ago and she is still laughing. If you are serious you need a new teacher as previous corrections to this post indicate.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Gilmore wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 am Kompong and Kampong are both from the Malaysian kampong, a landing place for boats.
I think you are right.

Gompoong has two meanings, a landing place for boats, and ing. A landing place for boats also works with all of the other places with Kampong in their names.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Gilmore wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 am Kompong and Kampong are both from the Malaysian kampong, a landing place for boats. There is a strong Indo-Maly influence, such as Phsar and kangkong (water spinach). Jayavarman means protector from Java, which, at the time, was a generic term for Sumatra, Java and other adjoining islands.
Speu in Kompong Speu means honey.
I think that the word pasar in Malay came from the Persian word for market: bazaar.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

taabarang wrote:If your post was intended to provide entertainment you succeeded. I showed it to my Khmer wife a few minutes ago and she is still laughing. If you are serious you need a new teacher as previous corrections to this post indicate.
Seconded.

I’m not sure if this is a comedy attempt - if so, not bad.

If not... well, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Looks like the chap learned some Khmer and went slapdash through the list of provinces applying his limited vocabulary and making huge assumptions.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

"if anyone has any different explanations please share" seems to me he was comfortable enough to risk people shooting him in the head by offering up what he thought might be good explanations, while at the same time being open to correction.

Why not just offer informed corrections without knocking his head off?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Duncan wrote:I found one of the most entertaining Khmer words , although not a place name, was the word for '' holiday ''

t'ngai chOOp som raak . day stop rest

Dont blame me if it's wrong, cause I copied it from a book.
I like the word for snack.

Roboh nam leng - something eat play
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic