Moving to Cambodia from Thailand

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Moving to cambodia from Thailand

Post by phuketrichard »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:55 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:50 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm I'm shocked you were able to work at a Thai bar, being a foreigner. That's one of those closed occupations. Unless . . . table . . . cash . . .
loads of foreigners work in the bars on the islands in Thailand, ive not been down there for about 5 years though, has it changed?
The only foreigners I've seen/know working island bars are Burmese and Cambodians, which was about 3 years ago on Koh Chang. Have seen some working in Bangkok bars, too. Otherwise, I've never seen a caucasian bar worker ever. But then I'm not an island type of guy. Oh, and Filipino bands.
when i was on Phi Phi there were foreigners working promo for bars, cant remember if there was any behind the bar or not, i also had a friend who worked koh tao, had a Burmese BF, again that was all about 5 years ago now
In patong u'll come across the odd ozzie or french guy working time shares, but they ain't legal
Also Russian dancers in Pattaya and Patong ( they have "entertainer " wp's)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:10 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm I'm shocked you were able to work at a Thai bar, being a foreigner. That's one of those closed occupations. Unless . . . table . . . cash . . .
loads of foreigners work in the bars on the islands in Thailand, ive not been down there for about 5 years though, has it changed?
The only foreigners I've seen/know working island bars are Burmese and Cambodians, which was about 3 years ago on Koh Chang. Have seen some working in Bangkok bars, too. Otherwise, I've never seen a caucasian bar worker ever. But then I'm not an island type of guy. Oh, and Filipino bands.
when i was on Phi Phi there were foreigners working promo for bars, cant remember if there was any behind the bar or not, i also had a friend who worked koh tao, had a Burmese BF, again that was all about 5 years ago now
In patong u'll come across the odd ozzie or french guy working time shares, but they ain't legal
Also Russian dancers in Pattaya and Patong ( they have "entertainer " wp's)
yeah tbh she had been working in a school teaching at some school out in Rayong province the months leading up to her going to the islands, so its possible she had an appropriate visa
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if she was legal, her work permit is/was ONLY for one specific location, occupation.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:27 pm if she was legal, her work permit is/was ONLY for one specific location, occupation.
meh, probably wasnt legal then lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Its impossible for farang to work legal doing menial labour in thailand cut a thai can work menial labour in the west legally, go figure....
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:44 pm Its impossible for farang to work legal doing menial labour in thailand cut a thai can work menial labour in the west legally, go figure....
It's also impossible for a semi-literate, uneducated, unskilled Thai manual labourer who can't get laid in his own country to make enough money at his job to afford alcohol-fueled whoremongering tours of Australia.
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

Alexandriaclark wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:38 pm I didn’t. Even think of that Idk how to change it. I’m thinking maybe to just fly into Siem Reap since I’m familar with it and then bus it to a few places what would be the areas of Kampot that you would recommend
Not safe, and now Thai immigration knows that you worked in a bar without work permit...

You should spend some time in Phnom penh first...
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

Farangs could only work legally in 5 stars or any expensive place, and even, it doesn't really happen. Anybody else behind a bar in Thailand is illegal, 5 years ago or 10 years ago.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Its impossible for farang to work legal doing menial labour in thailand cut a thai can work menial labour in the west legally, go figure.
why would any thai male do "menial" / manual labor anywhere? what do you think the pinky fingernail means?
they don't do it- they leave that shit for non thai.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 am
Its impossible for farang to work legal doing menial labour in thailand cut a thai can work menial labour in the west legally, go figure.
why would any thai male do "menial" / manual labor anywhere? what do you think the pinky fingernail means?
they don't do it- they leave that shit for non thai.
All SEA countries come here to OZ and take cash jobs.

Problem is they only hire there own.

Theres job vacancies here in perth advertising only indian staff or only mandarin speaking staff , or prefer vietnamese/thai.....

This is typical of asians, imagine i goto pattaya and hire all farang staff in my hotel ......
Noway in hell.

But they do it over here in perth on every damn street corner.......

Respect is a two way street, but not for asians
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic