Moving to Cambodia from Thailand

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Alexandriaclark
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Moving to cambodia from Thailand

Post by Alexandriaclark »

How are the Koh Rong islands
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Alexandriaclark wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:38 pm I didn’t. Even think of that Idk how to change it. I’m thinking maybe to just fly into Siem Reap since I’m familar with it and then bus it to a few places what would be the areas of Kampot that you would recommend
if you want i can look into getting your username changed, not sure how to do it myself though
@General Mackevili @Username Taken
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Alexandriaclark wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 pm How are the Koh Rong islands
you would enjoy them im sure, if you liked the Thai islands, they are probably a bit more chilled though
Alexandriaclark
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Alexandriaclark »

Ya I liked phi phi just after months there it got expensive I only lived there and koh yao noi which was really quiet and the complete opposite
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I'm shocked you were able to work at a Thai bar, being a foreigner. That's one of those closed occupations. Unless . . . table . . . cash . . .

Anyway, I too left Thailand because it was getting too expensive, especially Bangkok. Am in Vietnam now, but I have lived in Phnom Penh and SR for a short time.

I remember in SR: huge tourist high-season with thousands of Chinese clogging the sites and streets. Dodgy electricity supply. Rainy season floods. Quite a long bus ride to Phnom Penh (although you can now fly in less than an hour).

Don't think I'd live anywhere but Phnom Penh. You can always visit Kep/Kampot/Sihanoukville/Battambang for weekends. Just lots more to do, good mix of grocery and restaurant food, good bars of all kinds, vast choice of accommodation but wacky traffic.

Oh yeah: Change your name to a screen name, as others have urged.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:31 pm Hi Alexandria.

You shouldn't ever use your real name on this website or other Cambodian web forums.

There are a lot of creepy guys around who have nothing better to do than cyberstalk hot foreign chicks and guys who disagree with their worldview on social media.
Seconded and FTFY
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm I'm shocked you were able to work at a Thai bar, being a foreigner. That's one of those closed occupations. Unless . . . table . . . cash . . .
loads of foreigners work in the bars on the islands in Thailand, ive not been down there for about 5 years though, has it changed?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:50 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm I'm shocked you were able to work at a Thai bar, being a foreigner. That's one of those closed occupations. Unless . . . table . . . cash . . .
loads of foreigners work in the bars on the islands in Thailand, ive not been down there for about 5 years though, has it changed?
The only foreigners I've seen/know working island bars are Burmese and Cambodians, which was about 3 years ago on Koh Chang. Have seen some working in Bangkok bars, too. Otherwise, I've never seen a caucasian bar worker ever. But then I'm not an island type of guy. Oh, and Filipino bands.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Having recently visited SR, PP, Kampong Cham, Kep and Kampot, I'd move to Kampot if i were you
Get a decent, ( although way overpriced for what you get as its Cambodia) place, ( figure $2-300) outside of town. Plenty going on; music, some arts, dozen's of happy pizza places and ur near water, ( river is swim-able)
30 minutes to Kep and the sea, 3 hours to PP for shopping, as not much in Kampot.
Buy a BIG frig...

Clean air and not much traffic, decent local market

Kampot from SR entails a 5 hours bus ride to Phnom Pehn, overnight- check it out for a few days and than a 3-4 hour shared taxi ride

Koh Chang, Koh Tao has Many Burmese, Khmers working BUT u wont find any Farangs ( white people) as they'd be arrested.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:55 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:50 pm
The only foreigners I've seen/know working island bars are Burmese and Cambodians, which was about 3 years ago on Koh Chang. Have seen some working in Bangkok bars, too. Otherwise, I've never seen a caucasian bar worker ever. But then I'm not an island type of guy. Oh, and Filipino bands.
when i was on Phi Phi there were foreigners working promo for bars, cant remember if there was any behind the bar or not, i also had a friend who worked koh tao, had a Burmese BF, again that was all about 5 years ago now
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic