Khmer Citizenship

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer Citizenship

Post by Kammekor »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am There are a reasonable number of Russian guys that bought citizenship.....

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/big-trouble-little-russia
general-chatter/russian-mafia-wars-siha ... t3084.html

I remember reading about a Russian Mafia guy that escaped police custody in his home country after being arrested for murder and made his way to Cambodia and bought citizenship. I brought this up in conversation with a few ex-pats I was having a few drinks with. They told me he lives on same street as HS and supposedly has police security on premises. But I do not know if that is true or not.

An earlier comment in this thread said $150,000 for citizenship and another said it was difficult to obtain.
This site claims it costs $310,000, to buy citizenship - https://www.justlanded.com/english/Camb ... -residency
I know a guy form Kazakhstan, and he gained citizenship and a passport. Cost him well north of 5k USD though and that was about 7 years ago. Kazakhstan has a law allowing only one nationality too, so he's always scared his government will find out, in which case it's going to cost him big money over there, but he's taken the risk so he can own land in his name here.

I was offered a passport by the immigration police chef in my town about 5 years ago for 8k USD. I declined. Even if they provide it for free with 10k cash as a present I will decline it since I might lose my Western passport, or even worse, I will lose my Western passport for sure once my government knows I have a second nationality.

Loads of horror stories on the web about Westerners getting a second passport, then finding out their original passport has been cancelled once they need to renew it, or were even denied entry in their country of birth because of cancelled passport and lack of visa. A major fuck up, especially if children are involved, because they get their passport by descent and if parent loses it, so does the kid. You can fight this court, of course, but that means going home with your new worthless passport on a tourist visa or something. Kafka to the max.....
js6426
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by js6426 »

takeoman wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 am
js6426 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:43 am Regarding other info I have gotten. A friend who did it via naturalization didn't even have to take the test, he kept going to the office and speaking Khmer with them so they just let it slide. Took him around 2 years, and $500 total. That was about 3 years ago. Another friend who failed the test paid $200, and said you need to get all the documents within a 3 month period, but that all the app forms aren't hard to get. Maybe there is just a stigma attached to this, the response from my friends is certainly not what I expected.

Already have land in my wife's name, and I want to do it for visa purposes, and really just the security of knowing that I can live with my family in Cambodia! If I try this in the future I will post on it to let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again for the help, and the reality check!
From what you say it would appear that neither of your friends fulfilled the requirements to obtain citizenship. Probably not the best route to follow, as article 30 of the New draft nationality law states:- foreigners who illegally obtain and possess Cambodian identification or passports shall be punished with a 5-10 year prison term. :hattip:
Perhaps, but they had all the relevant forms, went through all the relevant ministries etc. The second one took the test but failed, and was told that the King and the PM won't be signing off on anything until after the election, so she might as well wait anyway. If the king/PM sign off on it, I highly doubt it's illegal.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am I remember reading about a Russian Mafia guy that escaped police custody in his home country after being arrested for murder and made his way to Cambodia and bought citizenship. I brought this up in conversation with a few ex-pats I was having a few drinks with. They told me he lives on same street as HS and supposedly has police security on premises. But I do not know if that is true or not.
Sergei Polonsky was released last year but I call absolute bullshit on him living in Phnom Penh. He bought an island and started a mafia war with the Doroshenkos. I highly doubt he would ever set foot here again after the military literally gutted him of all his belongings including the yachts he crashed and other toys he bought. It would be known if he had returned. He's a loud narcissist with hubris. Couldn't sit still for a minute.

He was arrested on an Interpol red notice in Cambodia and extradited to Russia where he spent time in a mental clinic in Moscow before being shoved into one of the lovely prisons they've got up there.

You need more reliable drinking buddies. Polonsky was always interested in Israel. It is the Doroshenkos who have Khmer citizens in the family, because they are born here and have been here for decades. Good people.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

It seems to me, looking at this from a cold-hearted rational perspective, that if one has to pay a lot of money to obtain citizenship of any country, then one needs to look at the whole issue in the round. Number one risk is one pays a lot of money and the deal does not go through, with no refunds given. Number two risk is it all goes through but political developments lead to one needing to leave the country for more peaceful climes. Otoh, if one simply gets the annual EOS, the cost is minimal and the risk of non-renewal is minimal. As for owning land, if one is single one doesn't need to own any and if one is married one can trust one's wife (I mean if one is committed enough to think about citizenship then this is realistic).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:41 pm As for owning land, ... if one is married one can trust one's wife (I mean if one is committed enough to think about citizenship then this is realistic).
One thing worth considering though...if married and there is property involved, if the Cambodian wife/husband dies, the foreigner cannot inherit the property...if they have children together who are over 16 then they can inherit the property, but if under 16 they cannot as they cannot legally own property.

(I could go into more detail, but this has been discussed in another thread, will try to find the thread)
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

fax wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:12 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am I remember reading about a Russian Mafia guy that escaped police custody in his home country after being arrested for murder and made his way to Cambodia and bought citizenship. I brought this up in conversation with a few ex-pats I was having a few drinks with. They told me he lives on same street as HS and supposedly has police security on premises. But I do not know if that is true or not.
Sergei Polonsky was released last year but I call absolute bullshit on him living in Phnom Penh. He bought an island and started a mafia war with the Doroshenkos. I highly doubt he would ever set foot here again after the military literally gutted him of all his belongings including the yachts he crashed and other toys he bought. It would be known if he had returned. He's a loud narcissist with hubris. Couldn't sit still for a minute.

He was arrested on an Interpol red notice in Cambodia and extradited to Russia where he spent time in a mental clinic in Moscow before being shoved into one of the lovely prisons they've got up there.

You need more reliable drinking buddies. Polonsky was always interested in Israel. It is the Doroshenkos who have Khmer citizens in the family, because they are born here and have been here for decades. Good people.

You are assuming it is same person. I do not remember the name of the guy... whether it is or is not same guy, I do not know..... so in you saying.. "You need more reliable drinking buddies." it is offensive because you are judging without evidence. Calm down buddy..
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

There’s a lot of Russians out there. I spoke to vladimir, he said there’s a lot of Russians. It could be anyone.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:01 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:41 pm As for owning land, ... if one is married one can trust one's wife (I mean if one is committed enough to think about citizenship then this is realistic).
One thing worth considering though...if married and there is property involved, if the Cambodian wife/husband dies, the foreigner cannot inherit the property...if they have children together who are over 16 then they can inherit the property, but if under 16 they cannot as they cannot legally own property.

(I could go into more detail, but this has been discussed in another thread, will try to find the thread)
Could a last will and testament stipulating other Cambodian family members override the right of inheritance to the son?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

fax wrote:... Good people.
Sock?

OP, Why not try for Chinese citizenship, it could amount to the same thing.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

finbar wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:20 pm
fax wrote:... Good people.
Sock?
Why, did my post offend you too?

I’m not your buddy pal!!!